Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

Ah, that helps a lot.  Hancocks of London (or if you prefer, 'ancocks of Lunnin' init) made (make?) all the VC medals.

Yes, they still do. I learned from a TV documentary that they cut enough metal to make ten at a time, but the rest of the time the remainder of the cascabel sits in an MoD store somewhere in the Midlands.

Ron

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Welcome back, David! The Thomas Arnold de nos jours.

Thank you UG as always. Unfortunately any resemblance to the august Dr Arnold barely extends as far as our job title let alone any comparison between Rugby and the war zone I teach at! 

David

59 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Yes, they still do. I learned from a TV documentary that they cut enough metal to make ten at a time, but the rest of the time the remainder of the cascabel sits in an MoD store somewhere in the Midlands.

Ron

Was that the Clarkson programme on VC winners Ron? 

I know he's marmite, but not being interested in cars I only know him via his history documentaries which I have always found very good

David

25 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Thank you UG as always. Unfortunately any resemblance to the august Dr Arnold barely extends as far as our job title let alone any comparison between Rugby and the war zone I teach at! 

David

" ... the war zone at which I teach!" Dr Arnold was a stickler for this sort of thing. 

This exceptional gentleman was first decorated (not V.C.) for an action which disrupted some 4,000 of the enemy. He had already been mentioned in despatches by this time. How he has escaped being mentioned here before now is beyond me. 

20181026_115313.jpg.bf8e7dec49d29a880f878a91708886e5.jpg

Went from being a renowned marksman to a record breaking snipe-er.

Edited by neverforget

Is one of those new fangled flying machines behind him and were the 4,000 at Beaumont-Hamel? If so I think I knows who it is. And I share your incredulity if he hasn't featured before, but tomorrow is as good a time as any.

Pete.

I think I have him as well now Pete, he was a bit of a rover.

Very surprised he’s not been on before.

Edited by Knotty

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I think I have have him as well Pete, he was a bit of a rover.

I've just thought of a link back to my profile which just about fits inside six degrees of separation. Sweet.

Pete.

30 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

were the 4,000 at Beaumont-Hamel? 

Pete.

As well as 1000 at Arras

30 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is one of those new fangled flying machines behind him and were the 4,000 at Beaumont-Hamel? If so I think I knows who it is. And I share your incredulity if he hasn't featured before, but tomorrow is as good a time as any.

Pete.

You have him Pete. 

Just goes to show that there are still some not too obscure candidates to add to the list.

Now stop being a big ole tease and let us have it!😊

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

As well as 1000 at Arras

Quite so! 

Very cagey gentlemen. 

After you. Oh no sir after you I insist. 😂

Wing Commander William 'Billy' Barker VC, DSO and Bar, MC and two Bars, Mentioned in Dispatches three times, Croix de Guerre, Italian Silver Medal of Valour twice. The most decorated Canadian serviceman.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Wing Commander William 'Billy' Barker VC, DSO and Bar, MC and two Bars, Mentioned in Dispatches three times, Croix de Guerre, Italian Silver Medal of Valour twice. The most decorated Canadian serviceman.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. Given his credentials it's quite remarkable that he's managed to stay under the radar till now. 

I took the picture from Robert Hamilton's book ""Victoria cross heroes of world war one".

Can I just say that is the first WiT that I've got since just before Agincourt (sorry, I'm currently listening to the soundtrack to Branagh's 1989 version). For the Whykamists amongst us the obscure sweet reference is to the Merseyside confectioners Barker and Dobson (no relation) who make Everton toffees. Although sacrilegiously I used to prefer Callard and Bowser's Creamline brand which you can't get anymore. Probably for the best from a dental point of view.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
misuse of dental terms

Thanks Pete, I can now stop trying to find a player called William Barker signed for Everton.

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Thanks Pete, I can now stop trying to find a player called William Barker signed for Everton.

There was a George Barker from Blakenhall, which I believe is in the greater Wolverhampton metro area. As Michael Caine would say "stop throwing those bl00dy spears at me" "now not many people know that". I'll get me track suit top.........

Pete.

4 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

I know he's marmite, but not being interested in cars I only know him via his history documentaries which I have always found very good

David

I would rather have live ferrets put down my trousers than watch Clarkson on anything but the documentary about his father in law winning the VC at Arnhem was excellent.

Good to have you back teach.

Pete.

9 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Blakenhall

The original home area of the Wanderers ( as St Lukes then) when they played at Phoenix Park.

Sounds like I need to get me anorak........

PS If you are reading this David, nice to hear from you.

Edited by Knotty

5 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

David

Yes, I think it was. It may also have been the same programme that Pete mentioned, about the Arnhem VC.

Ron

Spears comes across a French général:

"... I soon realised why his Staff so cordially disliked him ... His manner, even when he was trying to be polite, was brutal. His greeting conveyed the impression that he suspected you of being a thief intent on taking advantage of his short neck and general slowness, to investigate his back pockets."

Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Whilst I’m pondering your Général, I will post this eccentric individual, involved in several conflicts awarded DSO and bar.....40 years apart and in a surprising rôle.

E35DF7F2-8DCA-40DA-8C65-1EAE26DBE23C.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Whilst I’m pondering your Général, I will post this eccentric individual, involved in several conflicts awarded DSO and bar.....40 years apart and in a surprising rôle.

E35DF7F2-8DCA-40DA-8C65-1EAE26DBE23C.jpeg

Is he Tich Cowan?

Drat it! Just back but too slow. I am sure it is Admiral Cowan

David

It is indeed UG, (and David).... Admiral Sir Walter Henry "Titch" Cowan, 1st Baronet, KCB, DSO and bar, MVO

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cowan

What an interesting career, ww1 including in the Baltic 1919, retired as an Admiral in 1931, rejoined for the second round and was Naval Liason with the Commandos, earning his second DSO, and after the war made an honorary Lt Colonel.

I could not find him by searching either versions of WIT.

Struggling with your general, but I have an idea now he was sacked in his later career, need a little while longer to check.

Edited by Knotty

It took a time but I found him General Denis Auguste Duchene, directly dismissed by Clemenceau, one could say for insubordination, but never said direct. He had made an “enemy” of Petain during the 1918 German Spring offensive. In command of the French 6th Army and  British Divisions, he had been asked by Petain to employ an elastic defensive position which he failed to do, subsequently the British under his command tried without success to persuade him but were dismissed with “J’ai dit” ....I have spoken. 

The German barrage and attack led to the French/British line being broken on May 26th and they advanced some 20 kilometres in a day. 

He was relieved of his post on June 9th.

His details https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Auguste_Duchêne

A copy of the picture you displayed https://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/duchene.htm

Edited by Knotty