Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Yes. That was quick! I was going to wax all poetical clue-wise with his middle name ...

PS: On the wall of the eponymous Hall, HMS Excellent, Whale Island.

Was he commander of HMS Albemarle when Robert Falcon Scott was captain (also flagship of Rear-Admiral Jellicoe)? I was looking at his entry in Wikipedia last week, but there is no picture. For some reason I now cannot remember I was working my way through the Wikipedia entries for all the CinCs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wordsworth_Fisher

RM

I can't work out from the wiki whether he was on Albemarle with or just before Scott. I do know he was commanding Dreadnought when this happened.

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I can't work out from the wiki whether he was on Albemarle with or just before Scott. I do know he was commanding Dreadnought when this happened.

I knew about the hoax but not that he was there.

Ooo! Do I get a prize? :P

12 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

What links these two and who is the third man?

400560848_Wit1.jpg.362a1a97d18953136111fa9f1c317b87.jpg75188647_Wit2.jpg.7d514512fbabac20010b2cfe9da5dcc4.jpg

JP

Could it be that they both won V.Cs on the same day, along with Samuel Wallace? 

I definitely recognise the second chap as Walter Stone, but my picture of Robert Gee looks nothing like your man, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

47 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Could it be that they both won V.Cs on the same day, along with Samuel Wallace? 

I definitely recognise the second chap as Walter Stone, but my picture of Robert Gee looks nothing like your man, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Robert Gee and Walter Stone both won VC's on the same day - but Im not looking for Samuel Wallace.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

After double checking, I see that it couldn't be Wallace, as his action was on the 20th. I also see that there were a further four V.Cs awarded for the 30th November, and the third Royal Fusilier would be Neville Bowes Elliot-Cooper.

20 minutes ago, neverforget said:

After double checking, I see that it couldn't be Wallace, as his action was on the 20th. I also see that there were a further four V.Cs awarded for the 30th November, and the third Royal Fusilier would be Neville Bowes Elliot-Cooper.

Correct.

Royal Fusiliers VC's, 30 November 1917:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Napleton_Stone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Elliott-Cooper

Pages 211-217:

https://archive.org/stream/royalfusiliersin00onei?textSrch=llll&btnSrch=#page/210/mode/2up

The photo of Robert Gee, National Portrait Gallery:

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw218924/Robert-Gee

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Whilst on this subject; what would a comedic half-hour with a Birmingham connection have in common with the three men above???

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Something to do with Hancocks Half Hour?

You're on the money there John. Also would be in common with the the other 625 V.C. winners of WW1. 

Edited by neverforget

While we try to work out nf's connection with 23 Raiway Cuttings, who is the owner of this fine moustache ? ? ? 

He said to Sims: "Don't let the British pull the wool over your eyes! It is none of our business pulling their chestnuts out of the fire! We would as soon fight the British as the Germans."

Bloody Americans.

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

31 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

While we try to work out nf's connection with 23 Raiway Cuttings, who is the owner of this fine moustache ? ? ? 

He said to Sims: "Don't let the British pull the wool over your eyes! It is none of our business pulling their chestnuts out of the fire! We would as soon fight the British as the Germans."

Bloody Americans.

image.jpg

No idea as yet but surely a yank?

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

Whilst on this subject; what would a comedic half-hour with a Birmingham connection have in common with the three men above???

NF

Paving slabs

David

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

You're on the money there John. Also would be in common with the the other 625 V.C. winners of WW1. 

Ah, that helps a lot.  Hancocks of London (or if you prefer, 'ancocks of Lunnin' init) made (make?) all the VC medals.

Edited by Heid the Ba

7 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

Ah, that helps a lot.  Hancocks of London (or if you prefer, 'ancocks of Lunnin' init) made (make?) all the VC medals.

Dead right sir. Hancocks the jewelers who were responsible for makung the V.C. medals

12 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

NF

Paving slabs

David

Lost me good sir, but hello by gad 😊

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Lost me good sir, but hello by gad 😊

And hello to you my friend a (very) long time no speak!

All VC winners have paving slabs in their honour in their home towns, as does the lad himself in Birmingham (but the VC makers is a way better answer!!)

David

22 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

Too southern to be a yank; Admiral William S. Benson.

Yes indeed. Ll.G continues: "Benson had a double dose of Anglophobia and it afflicted him and embarrassed us right through the War. But Sims himself did not share Benson's disease. Fortunately for both countries, he was not only a warm friend of this country, but he was a man of judgement and tact, and he got on extremely well with our sailors and statesmen ... "

Quote from Ll.G's 'War Memoirs'. Image from here: https://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22120.htm

Welcome back, David! The Thomas Arnold de nos jours.

41 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

And hello to you my friend a (very) long time no speak!

All VC winners have paving slabs in their honour in their home towns, as does the lad himself in Birmingham (but the VC makers is a way better answer!!)

David

Sir Sir, I got it sir, honest sir.

Pete.

P.S.I took one look at the Hancock reference and thought it was associated with the parallel thread mentioning Magna Carta. Did she really die in vain?