Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Admiral Sir George Egerton, C-in-C Plymouth?

Ron

42 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Admiral Sir George Egerton, C-in-C Plymouth?

Ron

No, not Egerton. 

"If necessary Dockyard men should be sent away in the ships , to return as opportunity offers."

5 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Not Sturdee, no. I liked this quote about him: "Fisher had already begun, with characteristic spleen, to blame Sturdee for the faulty staff organization at the Admiralty which, he alleged, had been responsible for Coronel ... " But no.

" ... The earliest possible date of completion ... is midnight 13th November ... "

I still got it wrong!!

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

"If necessary Dockyard men should be sent away in the ships , to return as opportunity offers."

Indeed, Churchill's order was obeyed. The greyhounds sailed for South America on November the 11th with the Dockyard workmen still on board. Battle was joined at the Falkland Islands on December the 8th.

It must be Godfrey Harry Brydges Mundy, Rear-Admiral and Admiral-Superintendent of Devonport Dockyard in 1914. (Wikipedia on Devonport Dockyard).

Edited by rolt968

23 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

It must be Godfrey Harry Brydges Mundy, Rear-Admiral and Admiral-Superintendent of Devonport Dockyard in 1914. (Wikipedia on Devonport Dockyard).

Yes that's the chap. The story may be found in Crispin Gill's 'Plymouth - A New History' (1979) and in Churchill's Official Biography (Volume 3 by Martin Gilbert, 1971). 

The photograph is from the Dreadnought Project:

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Godfrey_Harry_Brydges_Mundy

I do feel for those poor bloody Yardees, volunteered into such a perilous enterprise. Would they have been entitled to the 14/15 Star, I wonder. 

Admiral5.jpg.2744220b14bd3a576b249b6feb1c8c01.jpg

I suspect we have had this man before. He should be easily recognisable even from a caricature so let's add a bit more.

Could you also name his brother who also achieved flag rank, the famous operation in which they both took part and the names of their ships?

The only brothers I can think of are the Fishers, but that's not helping me with the rest.

Having seen photos of him I am not totally convinced by the caricature. If you know it's him you can see him, but perhaps not otherwise.

Hint: Probably his finest hour was more than ten years after WW1.

RM

Edited by rolt968

RM

Would it be the Rear Admiral Ernest Gaunt, commander of 1st Battle Squadron at Jutland, who became an Admiral in 1924, and his brother Guy Gaunt, who became a Rear Admiral in 1924 and Admiral in 1928, both were Australian by birth.

52 minutes ago, Knotty said:

RM

Would it be the Rear Admiral Ernest Gaunt, commander of 1st Battle Squadron at Jutland, who became an Admiral in 1924, and his brother Guy Gaunt, who became a Rear Admiral in 1924 and Admiral in 1928, both were Australian by birth.

Interesting but no.

Hint 2: The event in which the two brothers took part was early in the war.

If it's any help the caricature is the work of Capt. J E Broome DSC. I don't know when he drew it.

Hmm. Two of the three Dewars?

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Hmm. Two of the three Dewars?

No.

Hint 3: Almost at the same time as our man's possible "finest hour" the brother (and his wife) were ship wrecked in embarrassing circumstances.

RM

Another hint? Two brothers who commanded two sister (or near-) sister ships?

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:25, rolt968 said:

Another hint? Two brothers who commanded two sister (or near-) sister ships?

1914 - Not in home waters?

Very, very early in the war in 1914!

And possibly just before war broke out?

Edited by rolt968

My man's "finest hour" and his brother's embarrassing shipwreck were in late 1931.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:41, Uncle George said:

He looks like Blinker Hall but the clues don't fit.

I believe the brother worked for Blinker Hall at one time.

It's a blinding W.I.T. and I can't fault the clues, but despite my best efforts I just can't crack it. Not giving up though.

11 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Nothing to do with the events at Invergordon, I suppose?

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment. Well I could - getting a lot nearer. That's why I thought it should be easy

Edited by rolt968

On 17 October 2018 at 18:52, rolt968 said:

Admiral5.jpg.2744220b14bd3a576b249b6feb1c8c01.jpg

I suspect we have had this man before. He should be easily recognisable even from a caricature so let's add a bit more.

Could you also name his brother who also achieved flag rank, the famous operation in which they both took part and the names of their ships?

John Donald Kelly, HMS Dublin and William Archibald Howard Kelly, HMS Gloucester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kelly_(Royal_Navy_officer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Kelly_(Royal_Navy_officer)

WAH Kelly was on board HMS Petersfield when it ran aground 11 November 1931:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Petersfield

JP

Edited by helpjpl
to add correct link for John Donald Kelly

51 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

John Donald Kelly, HMS Dublin and William Archibald Howard Kelly, HMS Gloucester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kelly_(Royal_Navy_officer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Kelly_(Royal_Navy_officer)

WAH Kelly was on board HMS Petersfield when it ran aground 11 November 1931:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Petersfield

JP

Well done.

I thought the 1931 links should make it easier.

Both were involved in the pursuit of the Goeben at the very beginning of the war.

If anyone has missed it. "Joe" Kelly's "finest hour" was his handling of the Invergordon Mutiny.

The caricature is from Fabulous Admirals which has a section on both brothers but no picture of Howard Kelly. Jack Broome did the illustrations for Fabulous Admirals. I wondered if some of them were earlier work since he did caricatures of senior naval people (not all of which were viewed with favour, I gather) while he was still serving.

RM

Edited by rolt968

Cracking WIT RM, and well done JP for cracking it.

There’s still plenty of life in this thread, it’s just getting harder😀