Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Salazar?

On 9 October 2018 at 23:02, Knotty said:

Good evening gentlemen,

It has been sometime since I appeared on this thread, busy with another project, anyhow, who is this portrait of?

Clue :- He returned from India to take up his senior post

BDCB71E6-7584-4D60-9F5D-E216691BEE94.jpeg

Jose Maria Mendes Ribeiro Norton de Matas?

This is how I found him:

1.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_leaders_of_World_War_I#Portugal

2.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Norton_de_Matos

JP

Well done PJ, you have him,and provided the links. I’m very surprised that there is very little information about him considering the contribution he made.

Apologies to UG and seaJane for not replying directly...early night.

Who is this gentleman, and why did visits to his grave in London become a pilgrimage for so many until the 1970s???20181013_175421.png.3bcef4319dca79a0184e33be14bf6fc8.png

Apparently not as yet. Perhaps another clue might help.

Mons.

He remortgaged his house to raise £400, in order to cover the costs of veterans who couldn't raise the money for a pilgrimage to Mons after the war.

I'm off to bed at 7am and will be re-surfacing about 3pm.

Pilgrimage to Mons = lightbulb moment.  Is this Captain Danny who founded the Old Contemptibles Association and raised the money for the trip to Belgium?

Indeed it is. Captain John Patrick Danny, and as you say, the founder and paternal member of the O.C.A.

A fine man who's grave, once a shrine, has become sadly neglected with the passing of the last of the Old Contemptibles. If I am ever down that way again, I will certainly go and pay my respects.

Screenshot_20181014-144821.jpg.d2fce9c8f44180f857af98eb16a7de06.jpg

https://ourwar1915.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/my-old-pals-are-around-me-the-old-contemptibles-association-pilgrimage-to-mons-november-1927/

And, further to my blog article and other ongoing research on The Old Contemptibles' Association, I am in contact with Captain Danny's family. John Patrick Danny is an alias, as he was actually born in Hungary and 'borrowed' his name from a music hall artiste when he attested for the Royal Field Artillery, also stating that he had been born in Shoreditch. I am tieing up loose ends with the sources at the moment, but it will make for an interesting story when I have completed it.

36 minutes ago, AndrewThornton said:

And, further to my blog article and other ongoing research on The Old Contemptibles' Association, I am in contact with Captain Danny's family. John Patrick Danny is an alias, as he was actually born in Hungary and 'borrowed' his name from a music hall artiste when he attested for the Royal Field Artillery, also stating that he had been born in Shoreditch. I am tieing up loose ends with the sources at the moment, but it will make for an interesting story when I have completed it.

Fascinating stuff Andrew. I for one am very interested in all things old and contemptible. Long may we preserve their memory. 

I do hope that GUEST still appears on this thread. This WiT may be right up his alley: who is the Lieutenant in this photograph ? ? ?

His story involves Devonport Dockyard, two greyhounds, and a clash of wills with WSC.

He is not Jacky Fisher.

image.jpg

Inflexible and Invincible in there somewhere. *woof!*

There was a febrile atmosphere in old Demport in November 1914. The battle of Coronel had seen hundreds of reservists lost on the Devonport-manned Monmouth and Good Hope (including my family member Arthur Haines). The Yard had secret orders to prepare the squadron which was to avenge them at the Battle of the Falkland Islands. But time was short ...

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

Francis Bridgeman?

No, sorry.

57 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Inflexible and Invincible in there somewhere. *woof!*

Yes indeed.

23 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

There was a febrile atmosphere in old Demport in November 1914. The battle of Coronel had seen hundreds of reservists lost on the Devonport-manned Monmouth and Good Hope (including my family member Arthur Haines). The Yard had secret orders to prepare the squadron which was to avenge them at the Battle of the Falkland Islands. But time was short ...

No, sorry.

Yes indeed.

OK got there, I think, but too much help from everyone else. I will leave it open.

No pennies dropping here. 

54 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No pennies dropping here. 

Before the greyhounds can start for South America they have to go to Devonport for urgent repair. Churchill and Fisher, never the country's most patient of men, wait anxiously for them to be made ready. Churchill fumes by telegraph: " ... They are urgently needed for foreign service ... " But four days go by, and they have heard nothing ...

Admiral (later) Doveton Sturdee?

Ron

35 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Admiral (later) Doveton Sturdee?

Ron

Not Sturdee, no. I liked this quote about him: "Fisher had already begun, with characteristic spleen, to blame Sturdee for the faulty staff organization at the Admiralty which, he alleged, had been responsible for Coronel ... " But no.

" ... The earliest possible date of completion ... is midnight 13th November ... "

Admiral Sir Berkeley Milne?

28 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Admiral Sir Berkeley Milne?

Not Milne.

"Invincible and Inflexible needed for war service and are to sail Wednesday 11th November. Dockyard arrangements must be made to conform. You are held responsible for the speedy despatch of these ships in a thoroughly efficient condition."

I knew the office but not the name of the office holder (and had to resort to cheating :()

Bacon doesn't mention him by name either, but tells how after he had gone up to London to complain

Fisher told him that the ships would already have sailed before he returned home :lol: