Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

You miss my point sir. (Wot I have just given you on a gilt-edged silver plate.)

I wonder if I will have any friends left after this one.😉

Would I be classed complicit in this NF, due to my early answer at the start of this WIT?

Edited by Knotty

Just now, Knotty said:

Would I be classed complicit in this NF?

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate you. 😊

Russian pilot.

Accused of treason and sentenced to death. 

Saved by a royal relative. 

Official killer.

Died in a shoot out. 

Not an obscure guy. 

First of a kind.

I have to retire now to meet the demands of my early shift. I trust this little puzzle will be solved by the time I rise at 4.15. If not I will do the decent thing.

Nighty night. 

Edited by neverforget

Ah!!    Just as well Boy George is on the Beeb tomorrow.

Princess Eugenie M. Shakhovskaya
http://www.machair.net

Princess Eugenie Shakhovskaya was the first woman to become a military pilot when she flew reconnaissance missions for the Czar in 1914. She became a member of the secret police during the Russian Revolution and was later named chief executioner of Kiev.

also...

Princess Eugenie M. Shakhovskaya was Russia's first woman military pilot. Served with the 1st Field Air Squadron. Unknown if she actually flew any combat missions, and she was ultimately charged with treason and attempting to flee to enemy lines.

Sentenced to death by firing squad, sentence commuted to life imprisonment by the Tsar, freed during the Revolution, became chief executioner for Gen. Tchecka and drug addict, shot one of her assistants in a narcotic delerium and was herself shot.

2 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Ah!!    Just as well Boy George is on the Beeb tomorrow.

Princess Eugenie M. Shakhovskaya
http://www.machair.net

Princess Eugenie Shakhovskaya was the first woman to become a military pilot when she flew reconnaissance missions for the Czar in 1914. She became a member of the secret police during the Russian Revolution and was later named chief executioner of Kiev.

also...

Princess Eugenie M. Shakhovskaya was Russia's first woman military pilot. Served with the 1st Field Air Squadron. Unknown if she actually flew any combat missions, and she was ultimately charged with treason and attempting to flee to enemy lines.

Sentenced to death by firing squad, sentence commuted to life imprisonment by the Tsar, freed during the Revolution, became chief executioner for Gen. Tchecka and drug addict, shot one of her assistants in a narcotic delerium and was herself shot.

No. Not her I'm afraid!

Only joking😊

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No. Not her I'm afraid!

Only joking😊

I think you are getting back to normal.  She sounds about as pleasant as my sister.  :wub:

Excellent WIT. And probably meets the political correctness standards of the Beeb into the bargain.

And this chap?    The National Archives holds 2 records  with his name on them for the war years or thereabouts. He was an officer of  the IARO and is correctly described by the National Archives as Captain. But as you can see ,he has also got the crown of a major on his shoulder.  So if you can work out why his record listing him as a Captain is correct-and why this picture of him as a Major is also correct, then you will have the man. His army service career came to a very abrupt and unusual end in 1922.

Oh, I had better give you a big clue-   South Persia Rifles

image.png.8c8109d9b0273e754390603007bd3ade.png

Edited by Guest

Is the rank of Major an honorary one, and do you mean the Indian Army Reserve of Officers?

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Is the rank of Major an honorary one, and do you mean the Indian Army Reserve of Officers?

Yes, Indian Army Reserve of Officers.   He was a  Major-as the picture shows- but references to his name stop with the rank of Captain. For a reason..........Not telling you yet.   I was surprised that this chap had not come up on WIT before. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Yes, Indian Army Reserve of Officers.   He was a  Major-as the picture shows- but references to his name stop with the rank of Captain. For a reason..........Not telling you yet.   I was surprised that this chap had not come up on WIT before. 

Hmm... Intriguing. 

I'm going off on a hunch now then, which translated, usually means I'm about to start chasing a wild goose down the wrong track....

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hmm... Intriguing. 

I'm going off on a hunch now then, which translated, usually means I'm about to start chasing a wild goose down the wrong track....

OK- a biggish clue. I have before me  the "Supplement to the Indian Army List" January 1924, which has the very valuable  "War Services of  British Officers of the Indian Army".   Although he was alive and kicking (ie in 1922 he did not die) he is not in it.

I have him it is Captain Reginald Teague-Jones, OBE (1889-1988), who from 1922 assumed the alias ‘Major Ronald Sinclair’. Born in Lancashire, Teague-Jones spent almost his entire life abroad. His travels began in 1902 with a four-year stay in Russia, during which time he witnessed the Bloody Sunday Massacre and the revolution of 1905, before returning to the UK to study at King’s College, London.

Fluent in German, French, Russian, Persian and Urdu, and evidently unafraid of adventure and risk, Teague-Jones became involved in more complex intelligence and espionage operations after the outbreak of the First World War in the Middle East & Russia, this led to his being involved in an ugly incident (the 26 Baku  Commissars execution) in Transcaspia (now Turkmenistan) during 1918, an event that he is indelibly tarred with, and which eventually necessitated the change of name and identity afterward in 1922. There are doubts as to the real reason for the name change, it was either to protect him from an alleged Soviet Russian revenge attack, or to allow him to reappear as a spy elsewhere working for MI5 (for which there is apparently evidence)

The link to his Wiki  page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Teague-Jones

and a link to a pdf of  one of the books written about him 

http://www.lander.odessa.ua/doc/MostSecretAgentofEmpire.pdf

The better known book on his life is  The Spy who Dissapeared.

Well that saved me a good deal of head scratching, but I must say I did wonder if he went "underground".

So here are two that have a strong connection to each other. I'll give you a head start and tell you that this time they are both male.

What links them???

20180725_115016.png.b7b196d3cb32b23cf6641ee728094337.png20180725_114722.png.00573da7f936a6c16e6676af01d792a2.png

NF- Oh, no you don't- You are not fooling me this time-not after that Russian woman.    I think they are both the same person-and it's Vesta Tilley. Where do I collect my prize?

image.png.547e2614635a1c5625ea2a13746d2b70.png

😁😁😁

It's waiting for you in the asylum foyer. See the man in the white coat and he will dispense it.

Clue:

Both were visionaries and innovators 

Edited by neverforget

28 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is the top chap Kurt Wintgens, he of the synchronised machine gun?

No U.G.

Out of the two of them, the second one was ahead in their similar ideas.

The first man is Hauptmann Willy Rohr, who developed stormtroop doctrine on the German side, which would make the second man Andre Laffargue, whose description of his tactics used in the spring offensive of 1915 on the Vimy Ridge is regarded by many (wrongly in my humble opinion) as the first example of what came to be known as stormtroop or infiltration tactics. Rohr certainly seems to have arrived at his views independently despite the received wisdom being that the Germans adapted a captured copy of Laffargue's document.

Pete.

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

The first man is Hauptmann Willy Rohr, who developed stormtroop doctrine on the German side, which would make the second man Andre Laffargue, whose description of his tactics used in the spring offensive of 1915 on the Vimy Ridge is regarded by many (wrongly in my humble opinion) as the first example of what came to be known as stormtroop or infiltration tactics. Rohr certainly seems to have arrived at his views independently despite the received wisdom being that the Germans adapted a captured copy of Laffargue's document.

Pete.

Nailed it Pete. 

Thoroughly conclusive answer as ever.👍

It was just a wild guess mate.

Pete.

P.S. I've been in contact with thread statto Ridgus and his long threatened return is imminint eminint imi won't be long delayed hopefully. He described his response to the end of term as decompression, which got big laughs at Owls Towers. It will be good to have the band back together.

Edited by Fattyowls

7 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

It was just a wild guess mate.

Pete.

P.S. I've been in contact with thread statto Ridgus and his long threatened return is imminint eminint imi won't be long delayed hopefully. He described his response to the end of term as decompression, which got big laughs at Owls Towers. It will be good to have the band back together.

I think I know you well enough to understand that it was anything but a wild guess Pete. I'd be interested to hear your take on the matter.

Great news about David. I can sympathise with the decompression feeling. My first day off is always spent in a state of P.T.S.D.

It will be good to put the band back together. I can almost see the penguins gliding across the floor in approval. 

Edited by neverforget

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

I think I know you well enough to understand that it was anything but a wild guess Pete. I'd be interested to hear your take on the matter.

Great news about David. I can sympathise with the decompression feeling. My first day off is always spent in a state of P.T.S.D.

It will be good to put the band back together. I can almost see the penguins gliding across the floor in approval. 

You're right NF, just contemplating doing anything wild gives me a nosebleed. Uncle George is pretty hot on Rohr, Laffargue and infiltration tactics as this thread shows.........

Pete.

P.S. Struggling with the penguins imagery, but then I've only had one cup of coffee and sentences are a challenge at the moment.