Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

22 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I'd be grateful if you could answer this one John - I've spent a lot of time on it, and got nowhere.

My chap is not a well-known figure; but he has an interesting story to tell. The armband he wears is described as a "red brassard". All of this corps wore it, and apparently it was not popular. It was "taken to represent a mark of inferiority". It was hoped that one day the corps "should be recognised as not altogether effete old 'has beens' only fit for the shelf or the fireside."

This is Thomas Edward Nalty, the oldest Volunteer of the war.  Both pictures are taken from the The History of the National Guard 1914-1918.  The text says of him:

image.png.a3349b19510261113bc74f6e649f3c6e.png

13 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

And this fellow- I have been kind and not snipped the picture too much, so you can see he is a 6-Ringer, which narrows the choice.  Clues?   Again?  Bah, spoilt children.

OK-  Our man commanded a naval brigade-but not Crimea, Boer War or Boxer Rising.  He showed a very strong dislike for Radio Caroline. And at one point in his career, he had to move to Japan

image.png.2254a76e37a1f5c2756013d58a8be831.png

He is Martyn Jerram. Commanded a brigade in Kenya; got on Beatty's wrong side at Jutland.

Since Jerram died in 1933, and Radio Caroline only began transmitting in 1964, how can you describe him as having a strong dislike of it? 

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

He is Martyn Jerram. Commanded a brigade in Kenya; got on Beatty's wrong side at Jutland.

Spot on-  Good that a Devonport  boy gets a navy one immediately!.   Yes, Jerram, a neglected figure -save for getting on the wrong side of dear David at Jutland. It was said that Jerram should have acted more decisively- at least according to dear David. Who cut him dead immediately after Jutland and effectively ended his career when he was able to do so the next year. Jerram was a good old-fashioned Admiral from the age of Empire. Much of his career was spent around the Empire. He commanded a naval brigade in what is now Kenya in 1890-91, putting down a  spot of bother with a local Sultan. A reminder that Their Lordships and the Royal Navy played a significant-but much underrated- part in the expansion of the Empire.

The Radio Caroline clue was that he was the Admiral on the,effectively China/Far eastern Station at the beginning of the war, and was in charge of the landings in the German Caroline Islands, done with the purpose of destroying a German radio station.  The next year, his commitments weer so broad across the Pacific that he ended up without a flagship and transferred his flag to an armed merchantman, Empress of Japan-hence the move to Japan clue.

So Beatty did for the "flags" when distributing blame- and did for Jerram.  I have no time for Beatty-an arrogant narcissist, whose careerist ladder-climbing made Haig look like St,Francis of Assisi. A capable commander at Jutland would have pulled back after the loss of one battlecruiser- absolutely certainly after 2. But for Beatty, anything was necessary for the Greater Glory of Himself.  All 3 battlecruisers should have been renamed "HMS Expendable".  David Beatty- the Donald Trump of the Royal Navy-all ego and no blame.

UG-My apologies for detaining you with Barnardiston. On a fine summer's day, the most pleasant way to pass the time is the little ferry across from Mayflower Steps to Cawsand Beach-  the Hoe, Breakwater, see what's in the Hamoaze, round Picklecombe. A real Kelly's ice-cream in Cawsand-then perhaps up to the Edgcumbe Arms at Cremyll-by walking round through Mount Edgcumbe. And fresh cod with chips when you get there. So get yourself out there- I miss it very much on a summer day, so WIT can wait. Make me envious of what is on your doorstep!!  :wub:

1 minute ago, Ron Clifton said:

Since Jerram died in 1933, and Radio Caroline only began transmitting in 1964, how can you describe him as having a strong dislike of it? 

Ron

Cryptic clues Ron- explained above!!!  It was a radio and it was on the Caroline Islands. :wub:

And this chap?  Not been on WIT before, which is a bit of a surprise.

Clues- Well, the war interrupted his work with swans-but he returned to it after the war, which he survived-although invalided out through serious physical illness.  He was responsible in the 1920s for a major piece of decoration in South London  which is a depiction of Greece.

image.png.3ee2f285089301be0fcd0028dcde3c2d.png

image.png

UG-   It's Doug-doing his imitation of Gregory Peck.   My personal clue for this would have been  -He was the only Field Marshal at the Japanese surrender in 1945 (He was a Field marshal in the Phillipines)

Sorry-your post crossed with mine.  Nver mind-down to Admirals Hard and across to Cremyll would be my therapy on a day like today

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Cryptic clues Ron- explained above!!!  It was a radio and it was on the Caroline Islands. :wub:

No, it was a wireless station. And I doubt that it was ever referred to as "Radio Caroline" or even as "Wireless Caroline."

Ron

2 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

UG-   It's Doug-doing his imitation of Gregory Peck.   My personal clue for this would have been  -He was the only Field Marshal at the Japanese surrender in 1945 (He was a Field marshal in the Phillipines)

Sorry-your post crossed with mine.  Nver mind-down to Admirals Hard and across to Cremyll would be my therapy on a day like today

Of course. (Image in the public domain.) I always liked his fancy FM cap. But where is nf? 

Plymouth is too far, on a day like this. A stroll to the banks of the Tavy is more likely.

8 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

No, it was a wireless station. And I doubt that it was ever referred to as "Radio Caroline" or even as "Wireless Caroline."

Ron

It doesn't have to be!   Of course "Radio Caroline" was a thing of the Sixties- the knack was to spot it might be an allusion to a Caroline of the Great War

I suppose that the German wireless station in the Carolines would have been "Karolinen-Funk"  but "funk" is a German word that to me at least can mean both broadcasting and receiving-as it comes from the old German word for "spark"

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Of course. (Image in the public domain.) I always liked his fancy FM cap. But where is nf? 

Plymouth is too far, on a day like this. A stroll to the banks of the Tavy is more likely.

Enjoy

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Clues- Well, the war interrupted his work with swans-but he returned to it after the war, which he survived-although invalided out through serious physical illness.  He was responsible in the 1920s for a major piece of decoration in South London  which is a depiction of Greece.

image.png

He looks a little like Ben Benyon, denied a cap by the Welsh Rugby Union because he had played professional association football for the Swans. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks a little like Ben Benyon, denied a cap by the Welsh Rugby Union because he had played professional association football for the Swans. 

Alas, No- The Swans with our man were the real thing.

The cap badge of our man is RAMC-but he "volunteered" for front-line infantry service later-  in best RSM "Who wants to volunteer?" mode

UG-as you are up that way-  Has anyone doe a local Roll of Honour for Whitchurch?-  I have a local casualty for Wanstead here in the east of London who is on the Whitchurch memorial- though I very much doubt if the man concerned ever went to Devonshire, let alone Whitchurch.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

UG-as you are up that way-  Has anyone doe a local Roll of Honour for Whitchurch?-  I have a local casualty for Wanstead here in the east of London who is on the Whitchurch memorial- though I very much doubt if the man concerned ever went to Devonshire, let alone Whitchurch.

Sorry, but I'm almost ashamed to say, 'I don't know'. (My interest in local history starts and ends where I was brought up, and where my family lived for generations - Devonport/Plymouth). I can only suggest you contact the Tavistock History Society (Whitchurch and Tavistock having expanded into each other). One of its leading lights is Kevin Dickens, who as it goes was my old history teacher at Devonport High School.

https://www.tavistockhistory.co.uk/links

Thanks UG-  My dad was DHSB as well- though he used to say (apart from Tony Soper being an old boy), that the Royal Marines had left their their system of discipline there as well as the buildings. Thanks for suggesting  Tavistock folk. 

4 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Thanks UG-  My dad was DHSB as well- though he used to say (apart from Tony Soper being an old boy), that the Royal Marines had left their their system of discipline there as well as the buildings. Thanks for suggesting  Tavistock folk. 

My dad also DHS; but it was during the War, and the school had moved to Penzance, so my dad attended the Emergency High School, which was at Sutton High School.

Ah, but they muddled through ...

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

I'm just about here Uncle George. I won't bore anyone with details, but I have had a shocking 2018 which has taken me away from, amongst other things, our beloved WIT. Briefly, I have lost four friends, a lung, and the chronic necessity for heavy duty steroids has resulted in breaking my ribs three times this year, the most recent of which was two days ago after a fall on the riverbank. To my shame; I have to confess to succumbing to gloomy thoughts and lethargy. I do accept that this is pathetic on my part though, and so normal service will resume again now.

Is your man Douglas Macarthur?

On 22/07/2018 at 14:11, neverforget said:

I'm just about here Uncle George. I won't bore anyone with details, but I have had a shocking 2018 which has taken me away from, amongst other things, our beloved WIT. Briefly, I have lost four friends, a lung, and the chronic necessity for heavy duty steroids has resulted in breaking my ribs three times this year, the most recent of which was two days ago after a fall on the riverbank. To my shame; I have to confess to succumbing to gloomy thoughts and lethargy. I do accept that this is pathetic on my part though, and so normal service will resume again now.

Keep going NF-  I too have a lifelong condition that requires steroid chewing as well. I don't mind the steroids- I just object to the calcium that is there to balance out the damage it does to bones- I feel like a cow looking at a block of salt-lick when I come to take it. And it is slowly giving me cataracts. 

When he was 90, the late Sir Stanley Rous was interviewed by the Beeb- he had been a very fit man in younger years- a PT instructor during the Great War, I believe-as well as an FA Cup Final referee. In old age, he was in a wheelchair, virtually blind and deaf. He was asked how he felt about this,after the prowess of his younger years. His answer was "Better than the alternative"

Nothing pathetic about it- illness knocks the stuffing out of you- and medicine knocks the stuffing out of you even more. As my consultant says, we treat the condition, not the person-I am piggy in the middle and get some of the collateral damage we call side-effects. 

As Churchill said- "Keep B*ggering On"    Look forward to your return to WIT

Take care

Thanks Mr. V. I do try to remind myself that I am a very lucky man in many respects, and that there are very many people much worse off than myself. At the end of the day, my friends and family are more than enough to remind me that I wouldn't change places with anyone. 

I've been all the way from Slimbridge to Greece searching for your latest chap, but nothing yet. Good clues though, the penny will drop for someone I'm sure. 

Good health!

53 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Indeed it is Macarthur.

But just look after yourself old chap. I too have serious health issues, but like you have a loving family, which is worth everything. 

And like you I'm getting nowhere with the latest!

53 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

When he was 90, the late Sir Stanley Rous was interviewed by the Beeb- he had been a very fit man in younger years- a PT instructor during the Great War, I believe-as well as an FA Cup Final referee. In old age, he was in a wheelchair, virtually blind and deaf. He was asked how he felt about this,after the prowess of his younger years. His answer was "Better than the alternative"

During the recent World Cup I searched for a photograph of Sir Stanley in First war uniform (and for Jules Rimet), so that they could appear in a World Football-themed WiT. Pete would have approved I am sure. But I couldn't find one, so that was the end of that.

Edited by Uncle George
Rationalisation.

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

During the recent World Cup I searched for a photograph of Sir Stanley in First war uniform (and for Jules Rimet), so that they could appear in a World Football-themed WiT. Pete would have approved I am sure. But I couldn't find one, so that was the end of that.

We had him a while back U.G. and indeed it was Pete who solved it.

Many thanks for your kind thoughts and comments by the way and good health to you👍

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

you have a loving family,

Then let us have a chuckle about it- A quote by the late great George Burns that I had not heard before turned up on TV this week:

"Happiness is having a large, close-knit, loving family.......................in another city"  

3 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

image.png

Is that Stanley Spencer? Painted Swan-Upping at Cookham?

Just now, seaJane said:

Edited by seaJane