Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Alright,alright, you lucky people.   Another one.    The pic. may be a poser but you should be able to crack it from the clues. [You are giving them clues as well? Shurely shome mistake-Ed.]   :wub:

And your clues :

a)   476.5 miles

b)   619  minutes

BUT originally  it was

a) 539 miles

b)  706 minutes

And another clue-   Michael Moloney got  in first

image.png.cbe0cc8f32adcfaf852125582eeed356.png

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Are the miles and minutes clues records of some kind?

No- they are the measurement of 2 journeys from A-B and A-C and the approximate journey time each takes today.  In the original scheme of things, the  destination was in the second example, later changed to the first example. No idea why it changed.  But it is a very famous journey  Michael Moloney is presumed to have been at the termination end of the journey

3 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

I need clues for the clues!!

It is the most widely known journey in the literature of the Great War. Frequently referred to year on year on year.     Let's make it a lot,lot easier

Image result for badge london irish regiment

The picture in post #10299 is of half of the original duo who wrote said song, identified in post #10304. 

Mr J Judge sold his rights to the song and Mr H Williams (pictured) is now the sole name associated with it.

ps We heard about this only a couple of weeks ago at a U3A meeting.

Edited by Knotty

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The picture in post #10299 is of half of the original duo who wrote said song, identified in post #10304. 

Mr J Judge sold his rights to the song and Mr H Williams (pictured) is now the sole name associated with it.

ps We heard about this only a couple of weeks ago at a U3A meeting.

That though occurred to me, but couldn't find an image of Williams to confirm.

There is a nice bronze sculpture in Stalybridge commemorating the song.

The picture in post comes from a group of three if I remember correctly Williams was sat on the left Judge was standing and I can’t remember the third person. I do remember that Harry Williams was confined to a wheelchair.

Lenin? The miles and minutes being references to he famous "sealed train" journey from Switzerland.

Ron

Edit: Curses! I fell foul of the "there are more new answers on the next page" syndrome.

Edited by Ron Clifton

Well done all-   Harry Williams it is.  Apart from the line about Piccadilly and Leicester Square, the rest of the lyrics seem unknown, despite the the song being mentioned-let along sung/hummed- so often.

Harry Williams, the son of a publican -somewhere in  the Stalybridge/ Balsall Heath area (Let's j just t call it Megalopolis Brum). Crippled in a fall as a boy-hence the need to find a pic. of him without a wheelchair. Co-operated with Mr. Judge on "Tipperary", the lyrics concern an Irishman working in London who longs to get back home and propose to his sweetheart.   The original version of the song was called "Connemara"  but was changed when Willaims and Judge got together.

As to the clues:: Using the AA classic Route Planner, the distance and travel time from Leicester Square, London to Tipperary are:

a)   476.5 miles

b)   619  minutes

BUT originally  it was

a) 539 miles

b)  706 minutes

+  This is the AA Classic Route Planner from Leicester Square, London to Connemara.

"And another clue-   Michael Moloney got  in first"

The lyrics give the answer in the proper last verse- If Paddy gets back to Tipperary, then-alas, he would find that Mick Moloney has got in first and popped the question to his sweetheart

Ron-Alas not Lenin and the Sealed Train. As young Broomfield will tell you, the Sealed Train was franchised by the German Government from South West Trains- Consequently, it has not yet arrived and is running late.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the information GUEST. Should have known there were verses! We only ever sing the chorus over and over. 😂

Apologies everyone, I am catching up after missing about a week.

I have always thought it remarkable that the original Raleigh was Samantha's father in Bewitched.

Let's try a nice, simple one:     Who is this lady and what part did she take in the 1916 Easter Rising?

image.png.bfeba06b5cb6e9dfa31b5833fca4c0a7.png

A young Countess Markiewicz ?

Let's try a nice, simple one:     Who is this lady and what part did she take in the 1916 Easter Rising?

image.png.bfeba06b5cb6e9dfa31b5833fca4c0a7.png

Dare I ask for a clue?

Just now, Margaretnolan said:

Dare I ask for a clue?

Harry Secombe-  "Oliver"-  More?  MORE!!?

Oh, alright. In 1933 she became publicly known because of the problems of being married to a German during the Great War.

13 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Well it looks like Barbara Stanwyck.

Well it is Barbara Stanwyck.

Yes- Barbara it is.  She played the lead role in the 1936 film version of O'Casey's "Plough and the Stars", directed by John Ford. She played the wife of a German in a 1933 film that was so awful I will have to look at IMDB to  find out

I was on The right track with The Plough And The Stars, play about the 1916 Easter Rising  1933 film was Ever In My Heart. Husband played by Otto Kruger. Hadn’t heard of it. 

Ashamed to say I haven’t seen The Plough and The Stars. I’ll have a go at Irish History next.

Oh,it's a hot day. Just like 1918 and 1945, Germany have crashed again. Oh dear.........    Tee-Hee. 

And this chap. he was involved in his younger years with Caesar and Cleopatra.   But later in life he   went to  Medina.

image.png.f50bfc1429ac5df5592b3abf21d51ccf.png