Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Stoppage Drill

Who is This ? ? ?

Knotty

130 in September.... thank heaven for that bit of childhood nostalgia, I’ll pass on this occasion.

voltaire60
5 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

He has, but it is such a good story that it is worth a re-run......

Pete.

Well-get on with it then!!!!!!!  :wub:

Fattyowls
1 minute ago, voltaire60 said:

Well-get on with it then!!!!!!!  :wub:

I can't do the accents.......

voltaire60
14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I can't do the accents.......

No,no,no- Maurice Chevalier in the Great War. If you sing the lyrics of "Thank heavens for Little Girls" you will probably be arrested as a child molester nowadays.

Knotty

Oh dear, I made a big hint about it in my reply.....need to throw my sunglasses away and stop wearing shorts......thanks for the heads up V60....unless GCHQ are monitoring these emails...

voltaire60
On 13/06/2018 at 21:19, Knotty said:

Oh dear, I made a big hint about it in my reply.....need to throw my sunglasses away and stop wearing shorts......thanks for the heads up V60....unless GCHQ are monitoring these emails...

Keep the rest of your clothes on,please.  GCHQ? Possibly. But I am hampered by the software filters in my local library- type in "London Rifle Brigade" and it is blocked as  "rifle" is considered to be about weapons.

However, type in Home-Made nuclear dirty bomb" and it goes sailing through-Technology-dontcha luv it!

voltaire60

And this chap?

Ok-he looks like the product of cross-breeding between Kaiser Bill and Mr. Pooter.   During the Great War he had to endure the consequences of his own actions.

Image result for french war minister 1914

Margaretnolan

No cheating allowed I suppose!

voltaire60
5 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

No cheating allowed I suppose!

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes. On GWF- No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep that clicking finger away from the mouse.

Margaretnolan

Too late. But I won’t say.

Knotty

V60

Is he a military man photographed in his civvys? and I presume as you have metioned the Kaiser he is not German, maybe Austrian?

ps Off to our library to check out the filters in use there :D

voltaire60
15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

V60

Is he a military man photographed in his civvys? and I presume as you have metioned the Kaiser he is not German, maybe Austrian?

ps Off to our library to check out the filters in use there :D

A sort of military transvestite. Military-then civvy-then military again (as a result of his civvy actions)-then back to civvy.  But not German or Austrian-quite the opposite.

And,No, it is not an aged photograph  of the late,great Kenneth Connor as the lecherous Monsieur Alphonse from "'All.Allo"   Although one of Ken Connor's comic dramatic roles might be a clue- think Chevalier (But not that one) :wub:

Knotty
17 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

quite the opposite.

Suggests he is French?

Ron Clifton
9 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes. On GWF- No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep that clicking finger away from the mouse.

M Voltaire

You have got your yesses and noes 100% wrong. But if you don't want us to use the mouse you should give us some proper clues, not just a photo and "he had to endure the consequences of his actions". That would certainly apply to Kaiser Bill, and as a teacher you should know that you have to ask questions which have precise unique answers!

Ron

voltaire60

Ron - Thank you for the corrections re. the correct ways of criminality.:)     You speak from experience?  :wub:

Clues? You want clues as well?   Oh,alright then

Served in Africa.  Served on the Somme. .  Had a loud voice  Described as gauche.  Represented the observatory. He wrote post-war that fellow generals (big clue) who were unsuccessful should have been executed. 

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes

Ron, it's called "merchant banking"  :wub:

Edited by voltaire60

voltaire60

as a teacher you should know that you have to ask questions which have precise unique answers!

Don't be vague,ask for Haig?

Knotty

Ok been in the library, and we have no restriction ......back to the job in hand WIT

voltaire60
16 hours ago, Knotty said:

Suggests he is French?

Peut-etre.............  Caramba! Vrai

And here he is  - Cannot be absolutely sure of the location but probably the Camp de Mailly  Weight- Watchers Club, just limbering up for the post-lunch  exercises (In France, post-lunch exercises are called "Dinner") with Joffre   ..."Calorie? Qu'est que-c'est calorie?"

(And I cannot resit this "translation" of part of a French official biography of him:

"Wounded in the Vosges at the head of his group of alpine hunters July 27, 1915, he was soon promoted colonel and took command of the 6 th brigade of foot hunters."

image.png.af9945e576b74765629a55f2e383ad91.png

Edited by voltaire60

Knotty

Hi Mr V

Another fine WIT that has kept me intrigued, then I found that your second picture is of Joffre with the man who was Minister for War out the outbreak, one Adolphe Messimy, he resign at the beginning of September 1914 just before the Miracle of the Marne, ending up commanding in the Army, it took a while to find the photo but got it from here 

https://www.franceinter.fr/emissions/la-marche-de-l-histoire/la-marche-de-l-histoire-11-novembre-2015.

He was definitely a colourful character both politically and militarily as his history shows, and there is a copy of the first photo you submitted.

https://wikivividly.com/wiki/Adolphe_Messimy

voltaire60

Well done Knotty. Certainly a bombastic character- with some principle somewhere deep down, resigned as a career army officer on the refusal to grant Dreyfus a retrial after the Esterhazy stuff turned up. Represented the 14th Aronidssement- called "Observatoire"-hence the clue. A mixture of extreme Left and extreme right "patriotic" views- considered Left, hence the "Gauche"  clue.  Had the consequences of his won actions by putting France into the war but having the decency to return to the colours- quite a good war record.

And an advertisement for the plan to chuck Napoleon's tomb out of the Hopital des Invalides and make it the French Army Moustache Museum instead. 

voltaire60

Now for a hum-dinger.   One of the lesser known leaders of the Great War.    Responsible for the entry of his country  as a beligerent power in the Great War.  On the side of the Allied and Associated Powers.  Shouldn't take too much working out- you want clues as well?  You lucky people!

OK-   the total of the armed forces he commanded was less than that of a British infantry battalion in total.  His armed forces had absolutely no effect whatsoever on the naval war.  His national contribution to the Great War  is chiefly remembered for an event in 1958.  

Image result for Juan Benlloch i Vivó

Ron Clifton

Pope Benedict XV?

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Nepper

Pope Benedict XV?

Ron

That was my first thought but from what I've read Benedict XV wasn't half the size of this man.  From the clue given i take it the country doesn't have a navy, so somewhere landlocked. Is San Marino a theocracy (assuming we're in Europe)?

Ron Clifton

I think we've cracked it!

Juan Benlloch i Vivó, who was Bishop of Urgel, and therefore co-ruler of Andorra, from 1906 to 1919. For some reason Andorra was left out of the Treaty of Versailles and remained technically in a state of war with Germany until 1958.

Ron

voltaire60

Well done, chaps. Something of a Greg Chapell/Tervor Chapell underarm ball- sneaky but within the rules but not the spirit. Yes, Andorra it is. Jointly ruled by France and Spain, the latter's rule being done through Our Chap.  With an army (Well spotted that it had no navy-Alas, being landlocked may not have been the reason-Ethiopia is currently trying to set up a navy and the Swiss Jack is well-known to mariners) - yes, an army of 600, not allowed to serve "overseas"- No such thing as an Imperial Service Obligation for them. Having been leaned on by France to "join" the Allied cause in 1917, it  failed to scare the Central Powers into an immediate surrender.  But it did get left out of the peace treaties and so,technically, stayed at war with German (presumably both East and West after 1945) until the matter was corrected (I think Germany surrendered but I might be wrong on that)

Alas, a bit of work suggests that the obvious connection is not there-  Of course,the 1959 film "The Mouse That Roared" with Peter Sellers, Margaret Rutherford and Billy Hartnell.  While the connection looks obvious, the book  upon which the film was based was,alas published before the Andorran-German Rapprochement.  But it's a good excuse to post the  pic!

Image result for mouse that roared