Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That was a toughy RM, but I’m now convinced it is Arthur William Carr, 5th Irish Lancers 1914-18, and Cricketer of the year 1923 playing for Nottinghamshire.

Allegedly Lovelace Major in Alec Waugh’s The Loom of Youth.

John

7 hours ago, Knotty said:

That was a toughy RM, but I’m now convinced it is Arthur William Carr, 5th Irish Lancers 1914-18, and Cricketer of the year 1923 playing for Nottinghamshire.

Allegedly Lovelace Major in Alec Waugh’s The Loom of Youth.

John

Very well done!

A W Carr, 1893-1963, 20th Hussars attached 5th Lancers. Captain of Nottinghamshire 1919-1934 (He captained for a few matches in 1914 - including in the match against Surrey at the Oval which he had to leave when mobilised.) Played for England occasionally and briefly captain.

One of the architects if not the architect of "Bodyline". (My next clue would have had something to do with unpopularity in Australia.)

He had an enviable record as captain of Nottinghamshire: 369 matches; won 168; lost 56; drawn 145.

The picture comes from Nottinghamshire Cricketers on Old Picture Postcards (Jennings) again. In most of the post war pictures he is very thin on top.

All other information from Arthur Carr: The Rise and Fall of Nottinghamshire's Bodyline Captain. (Wynne-Thomas).

RM

And this chap?  (No, it's its i'ts   he is not George Formby Jr., despite leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street). One of the more unconsidered army commanders of the Great War

Image result for thailand general first world war

Not difficult to Thai this one down!

Ron

... despite leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street ...

This is a multi-layered clue of fiendish complexity. After unravelling the puzzle of almost Gordian impenetrability one arrives at Sepp Dietrich.

On 05/06/2018 at 10:57, Margaretnolan said:

Just click on the photo...

Oh, wait ...  

UG- You have ascribed too great a level of delphic mystification to me. Yes, as a Plymptonian,I can be unintelligible but,please, don't confuse Devonian gibberish with anything more sophisticated.

The clue is not delphic-it's the only photo of the chap I could find- the lamppost was an un-optional extra.   

Alas, not  Sepp Dietrich- though it would  be a major piece of revisionist history if Dietrich had served  in the armed forces of this particular country. Or vice versa.  

One of the lesser Allied and Associated Powers.  But let's make this easy-  This Ally came under French operational command. CWGC has no graves to care for from this country's casualties. A very interesting sideline of the Great War on the Western Front.

Anyway, if the trail from lamppost got you as far as  Germany, then I can advise you it is not Lily Marlene. Just click the pic!!

Edited by Guest

And this chap?  (No, it's its i'ts   he is not George Formby Jr., despite leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street). One of the more unconsidered army commanders of the Great War

It is surprising to learn of the condescending, arrogant way this man's army was treated by the French. But perhaps one should not be too surprised:

" ... in the Armee d'Afrique enlisted men had to learn French if they hoped for any advancement; in the Indian Army, all British regimental officers were obliged to learn the relevant Indian languages." Quote from Martin Windrow's 'The Last Valley' (2005).

On 06/06/2018 at 11:06, Uncle George said:

It is surprising to learn of the condescending, arrogant way this man's army was treated by the French. But perhaps one should not be too surprised:

" ... in the Armee d'Afrique enlisted men had to learn French if they hoped for any advancement; in the Indian Army, all British regimental officers were obliged to learn the relevant Indian languages." Quote from Martin Windrow's 'The Last Valley' (2005).

When I was researching Eustace Jotham I found he spent some time as a double company officer in the 51st Sikhs because his Punjabi wasn't yet at the required standard for him to take command of a platoon.

3 hours ago, Nepper said:

When I was researching Eustace Jotham I found he spent some time as a double company officer in the 51st Sikhs because his Punjabi wasn't yet at the required standard for him to take command of a platoon.

In his memoirs Wullie tells us that he learned Hindi, Urdu, Persian, Punjabi and Pushtu. But, "A knowledge of oriental languages did not at the time appear to be of much professional use as the regiment [3rd Dragoon Guards] was shortly due to go to South Africa.... "

And this chap/   Probably been round before.   His Great War  service record  was very,very unusual-to say the least.  Especially the Spanish bit

soldier.jpg

He has, but it is such a good story that it is worth a re-run......

Pete.

130 in September.... thank heaven for that bit of childhood nostalgia, I’ll pass on this occasion.

5 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

He has, but it is such a good story that it is worth a re-run......

Pete.

Well-get on with it then!!!!!!!  :wub:

Well-get on with it then!!!!!!!  :wub:

I can't do the accents.......

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I can't do the accents.......

No,no,no- Maurice Chevalier in the Great War. If you sing the lyrics of "Thank heavens for Little Girls" you will probably be arrested as a child molester nowadays.

Oh dear, I made a big hint about it in my reply.....need to throw my sunglasses away and stop wearing shorts......thanks for the heads up ....unless GCHQ are monitoring these emails...

On 13/06/2018 at 21:19, Knotty said:

Oh dear, I made a big hint about it in my reply.....need to throw my sunglasses away and stop wearing shorts......thanks for the heads up ...unless GCHQ are monitoring these emails...

Keep the rest of your clothes on,please.  GCHQ? Possibly. But I am hampered by the software filters in my local library- type in "London Rifle Brigade" and it is blocked as  "rifle" is considered to be about weapons.

However, type in Home-Made nuclear dirty bomb" and it goes sailing through-Technology-dontcha luv it!

And this chap?

Ok-he looks like the product of cross-breeding between Kaiser Bill and Mr. Pooter.   During the Great War he had to endure the consequences of his own actions.

Image result for french war minister 1914

5 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

No cheating allowed I suppose!

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes. On GWF- No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep that clicking finger away from the mouse.

Is he a military man photographed in his civvys? and I presume as you have metioned the Kaiser he is not German, maybe Austrian?

ps Off to our library to check out the filters in use there :D

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

V60

Is he a military man photographed in his civvys? and I presume as you have metioned the Kaiser he is not German, maybe Austrian?

ps Off to our library to check out the filters in use there :D

A sort of military transvestite. Military-then civvy-then military again (as a result of his civvy actions)-then back to civvy.  But not German or Austrian-quite the opposite.

And,No, it is not an aged photograph  of the late,great Kenneth Connor as the lecherous Monsieur Alphonse from "'All.Allo"   Although one of Ken Connor's comic dramatic roles might be a clue- think Chevalier (But not that one) :wub:

17 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

quite the opposite.

Suggests he is French?