Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Acacia Avenue reference

Totally missed that posting- sorry, I kept going back to the original posting.

Where did the photo come from? I did not see that one in my delving.

29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Totally missed that posting- sorry, I kept going back to the original posting.

Where did the photo come from? I did not see that one in my delving.

Getty- with Thanks

Ok, who is this fellow, and what is his naval connection to the Black Sea?

E2FFC299-334B-41E4-A049-C33C01A86537.jpeg

13 hours ago, Nepper said:

The following only have one vowel but multiple uses of same:- Archway, Balham, Canary Wharf, Chalk Farm, Debden, Holborn, Northolt, Northwood, St. John's Wood, Stepney Green, Temple, Woodford.

The only station name using all five once only is South Ealing (Mansion House also uses all five but has two O's)

Thanks Nepper. You obviously have even more spare time than I do!

The one I had in mind was St John's Wood, so that must be unique for another reason (the "seasonal reference" I mentioned was to cricket - it is the station for Lord's).

Ron

Ok another clue then, he had the same surname as one of Robin Hoods lot!

On 23 May 2018 at 16:06, Knotty said:

Ok another clue then, he had the same surname as one of Robin Hoods lot!

So presumably he is Private Scarlet or Private Tuck!

David

Or Miller, or Littlejohn; using 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' as a reference (with baddies played by the former 2nd Lt. B. Rathbone - 2/10th (Scottish) King's Liverpool and Capt. W. C. Rains of the London Scottish).

Pete.

Neither of your two David, but Pete he is one of the two names you offered.

He was with the Middlesex Regiment becoming CSM

He is:

(Connection with Black Sea. Not a clue. Unless....... he lived in  Hammersmith....... Crimea Sidings on the Underground Railway-on the way to Portobello Sidings?)

And to follow the Robin Hood connection with the Miiddlesex Regiment, I have just been writing up  one of my local casualties, Captain Duncan Beresford Tuck,  16th att. 2nd Bn dow 30th March 1918 ( died from further damage to wounds on his legs sustained with the Public Schools Bn at Beaumont Hamel, 1st July 1916). In addition, I note another Die-Hard casualty was Private William James Scarlett (yes-really-Will Scarlett,) 1st Bn., killed on the Somme,15th July 1916

Company Sergeant Major William Henry Littlejohn 204331. Unit: 1st/7th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. Death: 20 February 1917, Western Front.

Object description

Son of William and Mary Ann Littlejohn, of London;Husband of Florence Annabel Littlejohn, of 10, Coulter Rd., Hammersmith, London. Civil Servant (Exchequer and Audit Department).
Author of several war poems, the best being published in "The Muse in Arms"- Suvla Bay, A Hospita Ship and A Prayer.  Still stuck on the Black Sea-unless the Allied failure there was because there is another one in the Black Sea as well.

A Prayer

LORD, if it be Thy will
That I enter the great shadowed valley that lies
Silent, just over the hill,
Grant they may say, "There's a comrade that dies
Waving his hand to us still!"

Lord, if there come the end,
Let me find space and breath all the dearest I prize
Into Thy hands to commend:
Then let me go, with my boy's laughing eyes
Smiling a word to a friend.

Edited by Guest

On 23/05/2018 at 09:08, Ron Clifton said:

The one I had in mind was St John's Wood, so that must be unique for another reason (the "seasonal reference" I mentioned was to cricket - it is the station for Lord's).

Does your chauffeur not deliver you to the Grace Gates along with a Fortnum and Mason hamper and a couple of bottles  of bubbly?   Standards, dear boy, standards.

The  4 regiments and dates below   will link to the 2 regiments and dates  thereafter. Which 2 names  emerge as a result? (Names, Ranks and Serial Numbers,please)

1)   Scots Guards.  30th December 1914

2)  Duke of Wellington's Regiment          20th December 1917

3) East Surrey Regiment              28th September 1916

4)  12th Lancers    21st August 1918

This should give you an answer that connects to:

Sherwood Foresters     14th  February 1916

Loyal North  Lancashire     12th March 1918

Not difficult....just a bit different

A Hospital Ship

Indeed it was William H Littlejohn, and his poem Hospital Ship in Forgotten Poets of the First World War, is illustrated with a photograph of the Russian HS the “Vpered”  sunk in the Black Sea off the Turkish coast on 8th July 1916, by U-38.

THERE is a green-lit hospital ship,

Green, with a crimson cross,
Lazily swaying there in the bay,
Lazily bearing my friend away,
Leaving me dull-sensed loss.
Green-lit, red-lit hospital ship,
Numb is my heart, but you carelessly dip
There in the drift of the bay.

There is a green-lit hospital ship,
Dim as the distance grows,
Speedily steaming out of the bay,
Speedily bearing my friend away
Into the orange-rose.
Dim are my eyes, but you heedlessly slip
Out of their sight from the bay.

·····

There was a green-lit hospital ship,
Green, with a blood-red cross,
Lazily swaying there in the bay,
But it went out with the light of the day—
Out where the white seas toss.
Cold are my hands and trembling my lip:
Did you make home from the bay?

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Indeed it was William H Littlejohn, and his poem Hospital Ship in Forgotten Poets of the First World War

Is that a book, or Lucy London's rather good website or facebook page? Good find none the less, and I feel proud to have contributed in a small way.

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Lucy London's rather good website 

Hi Pete

That’s the website I found it on, stumbled onto it whilst searching for someone else sometime backhen WIT was looking at poets.

I actually took some time out to have a wider look and it is a very good reference, the number of names listed is quite surprising, Littlejohn stuck out because of the Hospital ship photo.

along with a Fortnum and Mason hamper and a couple of bottles  of bubbly?   Standards, dear boy, standards.

Alas, no. Diabetes, dear boy, diabetes.

Ron

34 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Alas, no. Diabetes, dear boy, diabetes.

Ron

I am prepared to sacrifice my time on this...if Sir's chauffeur can arrange a time to be at the Grace Gates, then I am prepared to  supervise the disposal of the hamper and the bubbly.  Lords?   yes, every time I go there it is full of completely p*ssed lawyers droning on all day about how much money they make. Drunk before the first ball and slumbering gently long before the first new ball.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

ndeed it was William H Littlejohn, and his poem Hospital Ship in Forgotten Poets of the First World War, is illustrated with a photograph of the Russian HS the “Vpered”  sunk in the Black Sea off the Turkish coast on 8th July 1916, by U-38.

That I did not know- I merely thought that Knotty should have attended some more Geography lessons while at school.  Interesting as "Vpered" means "progress" or "forward" and is the title of a Russian "revolutionary journal- which I have buried away in my old bookselling stock- Never thought the name would turn up on GWF!

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Hi Pete

That’s the website I found it on, stumbled onto it whilst searching for someone else sometime backhen WIT was looking at poets.

I actually took some time out to have a wider look and it is a very good reference, the number of names listed is quite surprising, Littlejohn stuck out because of the Hospital ship photo.

I like Lucy's site as among many other things it provides a good counterpoint to the adulation of a certain stationmaster's son who spent his adolescence in Birkenhead. Lucy was kind enough to help me when i was writing something about war poetry; she is a star. As a website goes Women Poets of WW1 is none too shabby either.

Pete.

Guest's conundrum is proving most difficult. While we try and work it out, who might this chap be?

You may recall that when I posted #9670, it was confidently stated in reply that "it cannot be a UK general, because of the beard." But you will remember that he was a UK general -  the Reverend  Dr. J.M.Sims. Principal Chaplain to the BEF.  Which explained the beard.

But this chap was not a padre of any stripe. He had command of a Brigade in the British Army.  Who was he, and how did he get away with the beard ? ? ?

image.jpg

In case anyone is wondering about the absence of our Pal “neverforget”on WiT recently, he has had a few ups and downs, I won’t go into details on his downs but the big up is he became a grandad again this week whilst on a break in York.

He wishes to be remembered and will return to the fray quite soon.

OK- a final clue- Can't  really make any eauier without putting up neon display lights.

21st August 1918 refers to this man, Major (On CWGC Lt-Col.) Ronald Beaumont Wood, 12th Lancers , attached 6th Tanks.  Killed in action on the Western Front. Not surprisingly, given his peacetime regiment, a good polo player. Photograph with thanks to IWM

Image result for ronald wood lancers

Very good Mr V, a novel twist on proceedings

Charles Watts 6303 - Brompton

M Jagger Sgt  386 -Talana

K A Richards 12396-Etaples

R B Wood Lt-Col - Bienvillers

B Rolling 17281- Ypres (Menin)

G Stones 241852-Laventie

Now back to the bearded one!

Edited by Knotty

Well done,Knotty- a Bank Holiday treat. Couldn't get more obvious than someone called Ronnie Wood!   There is a serious point- it may seem disrespectful to use the names of those killed for a light-hearted  post on GWF. But look at what happens in Israel- the war grave of Harry Potter is now featured as a tourist attraction-not for anything he did,just that J.K.Rowling came along later

Now back to the bearded one.