Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Evening all

Ok NF I’ll make a start and say that with your opening, it looks like he was definitely a member of the Constabulary, but god knows which one!

Half a million lives saved initially suggest he was either a politician or military strategist, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

He was a Welsh copper, but no military strategist or politician.

His claim to fame stems from a discovery he inadvertently made whilst serving as a soldier.

2 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Lt Ernest Rollings discovered the Defence Plans of the Hindenberg Line

Eddie

And got shot in the head-  in army service rather than a particularly nasty Saturday night somewhere in the Principality. A great story about finding the plans- but it begs the question I have raised elsewhere on Forum- Where is all this captured German documents stuff from the Great War????   Destroyed, still locked away?  Best offer so far is that it was chucked out en masse  with the culling of the Quatermaster-General's library in the early 1960s. Not so sure about that- so any references to captured German docs.post-war would be welcome from Forum pals

Rollings it is. Already featured on the forum but until now not on W.I.T.

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story", and this is indeed a good story.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welshman-whose-extraordinary-discovery-ended-14005343

Moving away from UK personnel, this chap was both a winner and loser of battles, and he later became a national turncoat but was removed, he even had a penchant  to rewrite his history.

C0D4E46B-30C3-45EB-8ABF-698E7636BB3A.jpeg

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Rollings it is. Already featured on the forum but until now not on W.I.T.

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story", and this is indeed a good story.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welshman-whose-extraordinary-discovery-ended-14005343

A Welsh scrum half told me of a rugby tour which degenerated into a very drunken sing song in a boozer. The constabulary were called and the wise old sergeant said to the team: "Lads, there's nothing like a good sing song, and this is nothing like a good sing song". Everybody dissolved into laughter and the singers got down off the tables, pulled up their trousers and not another off key note was sung.

There's nothing like a good WW1 story and this is nothing like a good WW1 story. It's so inaccurate it's hard to know where to start......

Good post though when you peel back the tissue of lies and the farrago of half truths.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Original grammar of a language other than English

32 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

There's nothing like a good WW1 story and this is nothing like a good WW1 story. It's so inaccurate it's hard to know where to start......

Good post though when you peel back the tissue of lies and the farrago of half truths.

Try the story  of Colonel A.P.Scotland (London Cage) and the tale in "Blackwoods" about him serving as Schottland in German South West.  It was "bo****s  that would  adorn an African elephant.

54 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

"bo****s  that would  adorn an African elephant.

As no doubt were Pietro Badoglio's accounts of the battle of Caporetto, which I think is the answer to John's post #7698.

Indeed it is NF, first time I have come across a large portrait in

his younger years.

Pietro Badoglio - Prime Minister of Italy 1943-1944, following the removal of Mussolini. Signed an Armistice with the Allies in July 1943 and declared Italy to be at war with Germany in October. He was removed from government in 1944 due to his previous involvement with the Fascists. 

When Italy entered WW1, Badoglio was already a Lt-Colonel in the Royal Army and he was promoted to General in May 1916 following his role in the capture of Monte Sabotino. Partially due to his Masonic connections, he was further promoted to Vice Chief-of-Staff of the Army and he bore some of the responsibility for the Italian Army’s disastrous defeat at the Battle of Caporetto in October 1917. For several years after the war, he used his position to attempt to censor and alter official military documents in order to conceal his role in that lost battle.

Edited by Knotty

19 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Teddy Roosevelt: “If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.”

Who might this be ? ? ?

image.jpg

That's a clue that may take a moment or two to fathom. Are you sure the quote's source is Roosevelt and not my wife? 

Good to see you back Uncle George.

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That's a clue that may take a moment or two to fathom. Are you sure the quote's source is Roosevelt and not my wife? 

Good to see you back Uncle George.

Thanks nf. Yes, apparently the quote's from Teddy. Chuck Colson, he of Watergate, had it framed in his office. What a generous and fair-minded man he was.

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Teddy Roosevelt: “If you've got them by the balls, 

He does appear to be incredibly young. Perhaps his hadn't yet descended?

I did wonder if it might be the young Bradford V.C. Other than that I'm struggling.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

He does appear to be incredibly young. Perhaps his hadn't yet descended?

I did wonder if it might be the young Bradford V.C. Other than that I'm struggling.

Not Bradford.

That 'hearts and minds' sentiment was used without cynicism, burning bright, later than Roosevelt's day; before the Nixonian carryon.

5 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Not Bradford.

That 'hearts and minds' sentiment was used without cynicism, burning bright, later than Roosevelt's day; before the Nixonian carryon.

Gawd. Hard work this one. Been looking at propagandists and stuff and getting nowhere. I'm wondering if there might be a middle-eastern relevance to your hearts and minds comments?

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm wondering if there might be a middle-eastern relevance to your hearts and minds comments?

No, the Far East. And what is described as 'burning bright'?

Edited by Uncle George

39 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

'burning bright'?

Hi UG,

Nice to have you back, my thoughts like NF were Bradford VC, then followed by Alexander Galloway another young leader of the future, but his nickname was Sandy, and I think that your reference “ burning bright” is to the Tiger from William Blake’s  poem, which leads me to the Tiger of Malay, and Galloway had the Malay Command at one point, but the Tiger of Malay clue keeps setting me off towards the Japanese General Tomoyuki Yamashita, who overran Malaya in 1942, clearly not him.

So I will offer Lt-Gen. Alexander Galloway just to eliminate him.

36 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG,

Nice to have you back, my thoughts like NF were Bradford VC, then followed by Alexander Galloway another young leader of the future, but his nickname was Sandy, and I think that your reference “ burning bright” is to the Tiger from William Blake’s  poem, which leads me to the Tiger of Malay, and Galloway had the Malay Command at one point, but the Tiger of Malay clue keeps setting me off towards the Japanese General Tomoyuki Yamashita, who overran Malaya in 1942, clearly not him.

So I will offer Lt-Gen. Alexander Galloway just to eliminate him.

Thanks John. 

You are so nearly there - if you take the nickname with the quote, you will come across a CIGS and the correct answer!

Finally tracked him down, none other than Field Marshal Sir Gerald Walter Robert Templer. Potted history of his career here:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Templer

I believe there is an old and out of print biography called “Templer Tiger of Malaya” by John Cloake.

And a link here to his Hearts and Minds reference:-

https://www.defenceviewpoints.co.uk/articles-and-analysis/hearts-and-minds-malayan-campaign-re-evaluated

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Finally tracked him down, none other than Field Marshal Sir Gerald Walter Robert Templer. Potted history of his career here:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Templer

I believe there is an old and out of print biography called “Templer Tiger of Malaya” by John Cloake.

And a link here to his Hearts and Minds reference:-

https://www.defenceviewpoints.co.uk/articles-and-analysis/hearts-and-minds-malayan-campaign-re-evaluated

Yes indeed: Templer, the Tiger of Malaya. Image from here:

http://www.templerfamily.co.uk/

I see that following his experiences in the Great War and throughout his life Templer had a recurring nightmare; up until a week before his death in 1979. There's lately been an excellent programme on the BBC about the Blitz, and its effect on the civilian population. How these generations carried on is difficult to comprehend.

and this chap:

photographiejeanmoulin.jpg

A tyro engineer in the Great War. He never faced the German enemy while in uniform.  Died on a train near Metz.  

Personally, a hero- a man of immense courage.

I assume right or wrong that this young (French?) gentleman did not see action in WW1, but took on his hero status in WW2. No uniform suggest a diplomat or spy maybe?

Your assumptions are correct. It is not a difficult one- merely a chance to air a man I hold in the highest regard. And as Templar set the tone for those of disticntion from WW2-who also had a back-story for the Great War-then here he is.

Is it Jean Moulin M. V? All the clues fit and he is most definitely fits your description.

Pete.