Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Here are two men with such similar credentials I thought I would post them together. Both, from opposite sides of the Antlantic, worked for peace, and an end to the war, and both fell from grace and very high positions due to their efforts. p1.png.db3ae663b29d985c6dec68bc90050b8f.pngp2.jpg.23becb58e6463a19540ffd6ca462b58d.jpg

21 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

The top-hatter looks like Lansdowne-whose peace feelers have been unduly neglected-and he unduly vilified.

Indeed so. Author of the famous/infamous "Landsdowne letter."

From a very high profile position, he seems to have been engineered into obscurity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne_Letter

That's number one sorted then.

Edited by neverforget

Difficult to add further to the clues on chap number two. He was a huge presence with great influence in his country's politics, but only sought the limelight for others.

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Difficult to add further to the clues on chap number two. He was a huge presence with great influence in his country's politics, but only sought the limelight for others.

oops-Forgot to have a go at the other-  Of course, Colonel House  - like Colonel Sanders, not a real Colonel- Not sure if Colonel House also ran a chain of fast-food fried chicken shops. If he did, I missed that in the literature. His memoirs "The Intimate Papers of Colonel House" - vols 1 and 2 (rather than all 4 volumes) was one of the great  permanent fixtures of country bookshops in past decades (along with other long-term "dogs" as "Around the World with a Dictaphone" and "The Kangaroo Keeps on Talking")

Edited by Guest

Let's try this chap:

Image result for robert lansing secretary of state

He helped   to keep the door open.   His nephew did the same job as him in due course.  He came to grief because he upset the missus.   And, No, he never starred with Rock Hudson

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

oops-Forgot to have a go at the other-  Of course, Colonel House  - like Colonel Sanders, not a real Colonel- Not sure if Colonel House also ran a chain of fast-food fried chicken shops. If he did, I missed that in the literature. His memoirs "The Intimate Papers of Colonel House" - vols 1 and 2 (rather than all 4 volumes) was one of the great  permanent fixtures of country bookshops in past decades (along with other long-term "dogs" as "Around the World with a Dictaphone" and "The Kangaroo Keeps on Talking")

That puts number two to bed. Well played Mr.V.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_M._House

34 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Let's try this chap:

Image result for robert lansing secretary of state

He helped   to keep the door open.   His nephew did the same job as him in due course.  He came to grief because he upset the missus.   And, No, he never starred with Rock Hudson

Yes, it's Lansing unless I am mistaken.

Like House, was a victim of Edith Wilson, she having put the knife in for both of them. She seems to have been someone not to get on the wrong side of. (Awful grammar, but you know what I mean.)

Just now, neverforget said:

Yes, it's Lansing unless I am mistaken.

Like House, was a victim of Edith Wilson, she having put the knife in for both of them. She seems to have been someone not to get on the wrong side of. (Awful grammar, but you know what I mean.)

Yes,Guv-   He negotiated the Lansing-Ishii Agreement of 1917 which perpetuated the "Open Door" in China. His nephew, John Foster Dulles was in turn SS. He upset Mrs Wilson,who forced him out-and he is no relation to the Hollywood star of film and TV with the same name (They might be related-can't see an obvious reference to it though)

Well done.

Who's this then

image.png.9eb31d10093cb4316e130e77cbb0bc2a.png

That, if I mistake not, is the said lady of whom it was safest to stay on the correct side.

Ah Pete you devil! You got me there. I couldn't see the wood for the trees. 😊

Thou mistakest not sJ. I wanted to see if something so obvious would fool the other inmates. I hadn't realised that she was so powerful in the latter stages of Wilson's presidency. Mr Plumb, you know I am a wrong'un, why are you surprised?

Pete.

Chums, I'd like to know the following about these cutesy kids. Surname, each first name and where the little boy in the sailor suit is buried. I don't know the answer to the last question and would be useful for something I am writing. I'll reveal the source of the photo at the end as it would otherwise be a giveaway. The picture of the formidable 2nd Mrs Wilson came from Wikipedia.

Cute.jpg

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Thou mistakest not sJ. I wanted to see if something so obvious would fool the other inmates. I hadn't realised that she was so powerful in the latter stages of Wilson's presidency. Mr Plumb, you know I am a wrong'un, why are you surprised?

Pete.

Not surprised at you Pete, it's just that my own dumbness sometimes leaves me, well, dumbfounded. 😕

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Chums, I'd like to know the following about these cutesy kids. Surname, each first name and where the little boy in the sailor suit is buried. I don't know the answer to the last question and would be useful for something I am writing. I'll reveal the source of the photo at the end as it would otherwise be a giveaway. The picture of the formidable 2nd Mrs Wilson came from Wikipedia.

Cute.jpg

Ok. Im going for Wilsonettes. Easy peasy 

Not sure about the Wilsonettes-  thought Tommy Wilson had 3 daughters-unless there were significant transgender issues a century ago of which I am unaware.

The  cute grin suggests FDR-   perhaps with his older brother James "Rosy" and sister Helen.   Likely to be wrong-as Roosevelt is buried at Hyde Park (No,not that one)

Not they gentlemen; these are the great grandchildren of a Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Look closely at the elder boy and imagine him older.

Pete.

Archer Shee the elder was a portrait painter, not a Lord Mayor, as far as I recall. 

Three Chavasses minus a twin?

They are not Mr D, but it is an interesting idea and one which I might store for a future attempt to fox Mr Plumb.

Pete.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your chum by the way.

Just now, seaJane said:

Archer Shee the elder was a portrait painter, not a Lord Mayor, as far as I recall. 

Three Chavasses minus a twin?

Getting distinctly warmer sJ. Another famous Liverpool name, but born a hemisphere away from the city of their ancestors. I thought this might go very quickly but if you are not sure, and with me being a nasty piece of work I think I might run it out for a while.

Pete.

1 hour ago, IPT said:

Berles New Military Cemetery

That is John.   The other brother - MC- is buried in Greenburgh Cemetery, New York. His legs have featured on WIT, I believe. 

23 minutes ago, penny1282 said:

UGG shoes are ugg boots clearance sale very popular and famous for any comfort and warmth. And UGG often sales opportunities the fashion trend for countless years. It can be rather common to see somebody wear a pair of UGG boots. Because from the sheepskin materials, the cleaning of them might be a big problem. Do not worry, the following are a variety of effective methods on how to do your favorite shoes clean.
Firstly, you should sparkling your UGG shoes having correct spray. For the reason quite possibly made of top quality sheepskin therefore you should make sure the spray works extremely well on sheepskin fist. You could directly buy the spray from your manufacture or some some other store selling UGG shoes or boots. In this way, the materials won't be damaged by some additional chemicals.
Secondly, cheap ugg men boots wash your UGG shoes in a very gentle way. If you might want to wash your UGG shoes, you should choose to clean them with your hands rather then use the washing equipment. The cleaner you use also need to be checked. Only one which will not damage the sheepskin can be used for cleaning. You may buy that from the particular store which sells UGG shoes. Follow the instruction from the wash cleaner and clean the shoes with chilly water. What is far more, you should never scrub the sheepskin because of the shape of the shoes may change a lot if you undertake so.
Thirdly, wash cheap womens ugg boots the shoes of different colors within a separate way. For this white ones, you implement the wash cleaner and several clean water to take out the stains on them after which dry them in the spot where there is good air circulation no direct sunshine. For the people with dark colors, you need to pay more attention to the ingredients of the cleaner. That is because many cleaner contain bleach detergent which can make the color lose colour.
What is more, if you want your UGG boots for being still in good design, you are required to produce the shoes be the design as you wear at. If you want to utilize a brush to remove the stain against your boots, a soft suede brush ought to be the most suitable 1. With these good approaches, you will not ought to worry about the clean of your respective favorite UGG shoes.
By means of Ruth J. Bailey. If you would like know where you discover genuine sheepskin ugg boots [http: //www. uggshoppingonline. com] online store, this one can be introduced to you personally. It sells high quality ugg shoes at lower price. You may check it out now!
Article Source: ugg boots classic clearance sale.

Reported

6 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

attempt to fox Mr Plumb.

Pete.

Easily done mate.