Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

I think it's a hapax legomena.

Unless you swallow a dictionary, in which case you may find it repeats on you. 

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Unless you swallow a dictionary, in which case you may find it repeats on you. 

Boom-boom!   Well,it is Calendar-centered 25th December -  cracker season.  Let's see if we can find a WIT with a Calendar-centered 25th December  flavour.....

(Amended to avoid an early and painful death)

Edited by Guest
Life expectancy

Can I just say that everyone is on sintil schinti scintila cracking form today (if the dictionary is still uneaten can  I borrow it)? I read the post this morning before either of my industrial strength cups of coffee, only to find I was still struggling to keep up when fully wired. Particular kudos to sJ for introducing us all to hapax legomena; initially I looked to see if there is any over the counter ointments to treat it, and then thought it was another magic spell (I also liked sJ's bit of Pottering about on Reasons to be Cheerful Part 2).

I think GUESTS's novel suggestion about posting a photo or two on the thread is a sound one, although he may be in hot water for mentioning the midwinter festival in November.

Pete.

P.S. At the risk of introducing a frostiness to today's frolics the morris dancer second from the left could well be somewhere in this photograph. Taken from the track near Butterworth Farm looking across the plateau towards Bazentin le Petit on the left annd Mametz Wood on the centre right.

5a1d9fe2a1fa3_BazentinandMametzWoodsfromnearPozieres.thumb.JPG.a42597db80cf053ebd1b87e48d619d99.JPG

On 28/11/2017 at 17:46, Fattyowls said:

Can I just say that everyone is on sintil schinti scintila cracking form today (if the dictionary is still uneaten can  I borrow it)? I read the post this morning before either of my industrial strength cups of coffee, only to find I was still struggling to keep up when fully wired. Particular kudos to sJ for introducing us all to hapax legomena; initially I looked to see if there is any over the counter ointments to treat it, and then thought it was another magic spell (I also liked sJ's bit of Pottering about on Reasons to be Cheerful Part 2).

I think GEUST's novel suggestion about posting a photo or two on the thread is a sound one, although he may be in hot water for mentioning the midwinter festival in November.

Pete.

P.S. At the risk of introducing a frostiness to today's frolics the morris dancer second from the left could well be somewhere in this photograph. Taken from the track near Butterworth Farm looking across the plateau towards Bazentin le Petit on the left annd Mametz Wood on the centre right.

5a1d9fe2a1fa3_BazentinandMametzWoodsfromnearPozieres.thumb.JPG.a42597db80cf053ebd1b87e48d619d99.JPG

Another great photo Pete. Perhaps someone should plant some willows there. 

As NF said a nice photo Pete

Following GUEST’s challenge to find a WIT with a connection to the 25th of the next month I’ll start off and present this gentleman an NCO at the time, he was allegedly one of the first to leave the trenches to meet the Germans.

DBAD7071-1677-4A16-A905-DD8F893535E5.jpeg

On 28/11/2017 at 19:42, Knotty said:

As NF said a nice photo Pete

Following GUEST’s challenge to find a WIT with a connection to the 25th of the next month I’ll start off and present this gentleman an NCO at the time, he was allegedly one of the first to leave the trenches to meet the Germans.

DBAD7071-1677-4A16-A905-DD8F893535E5.jpeg

Sgt Frank Collins (2nd Monmouthshires)?

He was shot by a sniper as he left the trench. 

John, would he have met up with the Germans during the early hours of Christmas Day, or even late on Christmas Eve?

Pete.

George Beck?    No- Not he (edit)

I have the right man now but someone else can find him.    DSO and 2 bars, MC and bar  might suggest that Colour-Sergeant was not his final rank

Edited by Guest

I'm wondering if that's a white rose of York.

Pete, as far as I am aware he met up with the German contingent during the 25th, although according to his memoirs there was some banter across No-mans land on the Eve.

GUEST, no not George Beck but you do have him with 5 gallantry awards, and a pretty good rise through the ranks so to speak.

NF,  I don’t believe the rose has any connection but if it were it would be red

Struggling with this one. 

Using his decorations as basis for searching, I've actually found a picture of him on eBay where his medals were being sold, but believe it or not, because they had been sold, his name doesn't appear in the sale. 

That must be the closest I have ever come to solving one without actually solving one😕

Some more clues, went from Colour Sargeant to Lt Col. survived the war but seriously injured in a car crash, became a brevet Colonel in 1925, retired in 1927 and passed away in 1954

The very same SD, good spot.

Thought he would have been identified quicker than he was, GUEST spotted him early on but held back.

Plenty of details about Lt Col. Frank Naden including a thread on the forum

Another chap with a connection to the truce:

20171201_094922.jpg.64f2bba9e37813808ddbc28f3a5756f0.jpg

An account of his demise:

"I am taking upon myself the sad duty of writing you a few lines to express my deepest sympathy for the great loss you have suffered in the death of your son. I will try and give you an outline of the occurrence as far as I have been able to obtain it from men who saw it.

We were attacking a position held by the enemy and had to cross some open plough to get into some support trenches, and while doing so the Commanding Officer, Major Paynter, who was directing the operations, was badly wounded and lay in the open. Slightly before he was struck, your son had gained cover behind a shallow trench, and upon learning that the Commanding Officer was hit, without hesitation went to see if he could render him any assistance, and in so doing was killed. He died instantly and suffered no pain whatever."

39 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Another chap with a connection to the truce:

20171201_094922.jpg.64f2bba9e37813808ddbc28f3a5756f0.jpg

An account of his demise:

He is Captain Sir Edward Hamilton Westrow Hulse, 7th bart., 1 and 2/Scots Guards.

'My Dearest Mother, Just returned to billets again, after the most extraordinary Christmas in the trenches you could possibly imagine. Words fail me completely, in trying to describe it, but here goes!' (28 December 1914)

KIA at Neuve-Chapelle on 12 March 1915 going to the aid of his severely wounded CO - Major George Paynter.

JP

9 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

He is Captain Sir Edward Hamilton Westrow Hulse, 7th bart., 1 and 2/Scots Guards.

'My Dearest Mother, Just returned to billets again, after the most extraordinary Christmas in the trenches you could possibly imagine. Words fail me completely, in trying to describe it, but here goes!' (28 December 1914)

KIA at Neuve-Chapelle on 12 March 1915 going to the aid of his severely wounded CO - Major George Paynter.

JP

Spot on JP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Edward_Hulse,_7th_Baronet

A link to the letter and the source of the picture here:

http://www.acenturyback.com/2014/12/28/edward-hulse-writes-the-christmas-truce-updates-from-vera-osbert-and-morgan-crofton/

More letters here, which include some remarkable observations/insights:

http://www.archive.org/stream/letterswrittenfr00hulsrich/letterswrittenfr00hulsrich_djvu.txt

Thank you for Hulse, of whom I was ignorant other than that her was KIA. The Hulse family are Hampshire-based (as with the current Sir Westrow Hulse)  but the family money comes my part of East London-wot where I live.  As does that of the Gascoignes (as in Bamber)- the Gascoigne Estate in Barking and Dagenham is not likely to be visited by it's namesake Bamber very often.

A most interesting fellow, and one who seemed to have a good handle on the whole situation, including the bigger picture.

Following your post, I can't get "Run, Bamber, run!" out of my head for some reason.

Thank you for Hulse, of whom I was ignorant other than that her was KIA. The Hulse family are Hampshire-based (as with the current Sir Westrow Hulse)  but the family money comes my part of East London-wot where I live.  As does that of the Gascoignes (as in Bamber)- the Gascoigne Estate in Barking and Dagenham is not likely to be visited by it's namesake Bamber very often.

At the risk of sounding like Henry Gibson on Rowan and Martin's Laugh in (put it into your search engine of choice kids) very interesting. Hulse is a prime source for the Christmas Truce and a remarkable man as JP's quote suggests. The Scots Guards are a fascinating regiment; they took part in a Christmas truce in 1915 (which contradicts that particular bit of CT dogma) and the 2nd Battalion war diary (I think) is the only one I've come across with a football section. The two battalions hoovered up three members of the championship winning football team from 1914-15 later in the war, and kept two cows as mascots (who have appeared in WiT? before if I remember correctly).

On 01/12/2017 at 10:41, helpjpl said:

Are you by any chance related JP?

Pete.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

"Run, Bamber, run!"

Shouldn’t it be “Run Bambi Run” - to keep it seasonal

I’ll get my coat then.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:24, voltaire60 said:

Barking's roads include Gascoigne Road, Hulse Avenue and Westrow Drive, in the last of which I lived for twenty years. I think it was actually named after a village in Suffolk (or possibly Norfolk), as were all the other roads on the Leftley Estate, built in the 1930s.

Ron

44 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Barking's roads include Gascoigne Road, Hulse Avenue and Westrow Drive, in the last of which I lived for twenty years. I think it was actually named after a village in Suffolk (or possibly Norfolk), as were all the other roads on the Leftley Estate, built in the 1930s.

Ron

Moving back anytime soon Ron?  

NO!

Would you want to have Margaret Hodge as your MP? (Mind you, we did have Tom Driberg in my day.) Although, to be fair, Barking did give me a grant to go to university, and they extended it for a fourth year.

Ron