Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Plus of course he was in very esteemed company as regards the Latin Club, and the renowned Hood Battalion.

Of course-    but,alas, any mention of those topics gets overshadowed by Rupert Brooke, which I wanted to avoid.  Now off to see if  I can get a couple of pics. scanned to put up a bit more of a teaser.....

29 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

misleading reference to banks-

I thought this was another of his friends Patrick Shaw Stewart, he of the poem “Achilles in the Trench”,  who was I believe the youngest ever managing director at Barings Bank.

53 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Banks of Green Willow (lined up as one of my choices of music when I get shoved in the Big Toaster at City of London)  

A most beautiful and stirring piece, and worthy of any send off.

This is nailed on as mine:

https://youtu.be/0MJoZ6WdYYE

35 minutes ago, neverforget said:

A most beautiful and stirring piece, and worthy of any send off.

But not just yet,I hope.

Patrick Shaw Stewart- Hmm-that would have been a little too arcane- too close to "Star Trek" for an idiot like me.

34 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

But not just yet,I hope.

Of course not.

I hope you enjoyed my choice.

Last time I was at the cremo looking for a grave on behalf of a forum pal, I heard the theme tune to Steptoe and son playing. There goes someone with a sense of humour thought I with a smile.

54 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Of course not.

I hope you enjoyed my choice.

Last time I was at the cremo looking for a grave on behalf of a forum pal, I heard the theme tune to Steptoe and son playing. There goes someone with a sense of humour thought I with a smile.

Come over to the east of London-   we have 2 big cemeteries-  City of London and Manor Park (Boy Cornwall)  I cannot speak with absolute certainty of Cof L but the most popularly requested music at Manor Park is "Bubbles" (One needs a good sense of humour to follow the fortunes of WHAM)  One of my neighbours had Bubbles (WHAM season ticket holder) and Laurel and Hardy "Lonesome Pine"  

(My other 2 choices -allowed 3- are  "Life on the Ocean Wave" (I'm from Plymouth) and " Nunc Dimittus"-the Geoffrey Burgon version from "Tinker,Tailor")

Jussi is great- a little upmarket for most of my family and friends. 

Edited by Guest

A sense of humour is the very least one needs to follow my team.

On funeral songs; I was tempted to include "Can you hear me knocking" by the Stones, but my daughter said no way. 

Come over to the east of London-   we have 2 big cemeteries-  City of London and Manor Park (Boy Cornwall)  I cannot speak with absolute certainty of Cof L but the most popularly requested music at Manor Park is "Bubbles" (One needs a good sense of humour to follow the fortunes of WHAM)  One of my neighbours had Bubbles (WHAM season ticket holder) and Laurel and Hardy "Lonesome Pine"  

(My other 2 choices -allowed 3- are  "Life on the Ocean Wave" (I'm from Plymouth) and " Nunc Dimittus"-the Geoffrey Burgon version from "Tinker,Tailor")

Jussi is great- a little upmarket for most of my family and friends. 

Great choices GUEST. 

My other two are Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, and Thank you for the day by the Kinks.

I've broken the mould with my Jussi choice, as my mother, father, uncle and grandfather all chose Jussi's rendition of Angels guard thee, but as I am a confirmed atheist, I felt it might be hypocritical to go with the flow, despite it being possibly the most beautiful and apt choice for such an occasion.

P.S. All of my crew are pure working class, believe me. Jussi has been passed down to us through the generations, from my grandfather who was a sheet-metal worker from lowly Small Heath. I think the sheer beauty of his voice is capable of reaching out and touching anyone.

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

Great choices Volt. 

My other two are Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, 

Story time: Pietro Mascagni heard a barrel organ belting out Easter Hymn in the street outside a hotel in which he was staying. The tempo was far too fast, driving him so much to distraction that he stormed out to confront the wretched hurdy gurdy man. Seizing the contraption, he turned the crank handle at the proper speed, and having thus demonstrated,  he passed it back to the owner, declaring that he was the composer. The owner left the scene, apparently chastened.

The following morning the organ could be heard again, but this time being operated at the correct tempo. Mascagni was pleased, and glanced out of the window to see the organ grinder displaying a large placard around his neck - 'Pupil of The Great Mascagni''.

11 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Story time: Pietro Mascagni heard a barrel organ belting out Easter Hymn in the street outside a hotel in which he was staying. The tempo was far too fast, driving him so much to distraction that he stormed out to confront the wretched hurdy gurdy man. Seizing the contraption, he turned the crank handle at the proper speed, and having thus demonstrated,  he passed it back to the owner, declaring that he was the composer. The owner left the scene, apparently chastened.

The following morning the organ could be heard again, but this time being operated at the correct tempo. Mascagni was pleased, and glanced out of the window to see the organ grinder displaying a large placard around his neck - 'Pupil of The Great Mascagni''.

Wonderful story. Thanks Mr. Drill.👍

Mascagni's life seemed to span so much change. He lived into his 80s, but not to an excessive age, yet nevertheless, this man who was writing wildly successful operas in 1890 lived to see Mark Clark's 5th US Army march into Rome.

Deleted

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Mascagni's life seemed to span so much change. He lived into his 80s, but not to an excessive age, yet nevertheless, this man who was writing wildly successful operas in 1890 lived to see Mark Clark's 5th US Army march into Rome.

He also outlived his son, who was taken as a prisoner of war in WW1 whilst serving with the Italians. 

To outlive one's child is to me the most unimaginable horror, and I have always marvelled at the way Verdi managed to pull himself round after losing both his children as toddlers, followed shortly afterwards by his wife; all three from totally unrelated causes, and all within the space of two years. It was at this point (with only one succesful opera to his name) that he vowed never to compose again, and was a broken man. Thanks to his father-in-law he was persuaded to fulfil his calling, or we might never have been gifted with his marvellous legacy.

Whenever I listen to Verdi's music, I hear his pain.

It's a cracking story Mr Drill, there are not enough barrel organ anecdotes on the forum in my opinion. Born into the upheaval of the re-unification too. I've just had a whizz around the extensive library for a WW1 photo of Mark Clark but with no success. I remember posting his gag about being wounded in the Argonne but can't find a photo. I think we have done most of the other American generals of WW2 in their youthful guises.

NF, I am afraid Italian opera is a bit of a blind spot for me, outside of the 'Greatest Hits' like the Intermezzo and bits of Aida. Useful information.

Pete.

If this isn't obvious I shall eat my library stamp, but second from left please.

WIT.png

Edited by seaJane

30 minutes ago, seaJane said:

If this isn't obvious I shall eat my library stamp, but second from left please.

WIT.png

Is it Butterworth?

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Butterworth?

From War Composers:

left to right D. N. Kennedy, George Butterworth, James Patterson, Perceval Lucas, A. Claud Wright and George Jerrard Wilkinson.

Cecil Sharp demonstration Morris, 1911.

Gas, flamethrowers, high explosive, machine guns-  Thank God we never had to resort to Morris Dancers.

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hopefully, in any case my lucky guess will have spared Jane from a nasty case of indigestion

Not really-she ate the barcode reader last week, washed down with a bottle of white classmark numbering fluid to boot.   Hic.

That lady has a most admirable constitution. 

:D You light up my life, you pair of idiots.

But NF got in first and saved me from the sin of bibliothecosigillophagy.

10 minutes ago, seaJane said:

:D You light up my life, you pair of idiots.

But NF got in first and saved me from the sin of bibliothecosigillophagy.

Only until the next time!

I expect the Xmas do will present other opportunities for you, if the rumours surrounding last year's do are true.😊

55 minutes ago, seaJane said:

bibliothecosigillophagy.

Oooh!!  Big word. Should be in Volume II of the  Second Edition, New Oxford English Dictionary.   Jane-please remember NOED  is an "Oeuvre" not an "Hors d'oeuvre":D

I think it's a hapax legomena.