Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

7 hours ago, neverforget said:

Is your man a cunningly disguised Georges Carpentier Pete?

He went into the world of entertainment after he retired from boxing.

Apologies for the tardy response, like John I've been watching the rugger this afternoon, both live matches and then the highlights of England v Argentina. Absolutely top class until England spoiled the fun (Anthony Watson excepted). Anyway my man wouldn't last more than a second or two against Jack Dempsey or Gene Tunney, he had a brother who I think has appeared on WiT? (although that doesn't exactly narrow it down these days), and he was associated with a man who blew up balloons.

Pete.

18 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Apologies for the tardy response, like John I've been watching the rugger this afternoon, both live matches and then the highlights of England v Argentina. Absolutely top class until England spoiled the fun (Anthony Watson excepted). Anyway my man wouldn't last more than a second or two against Jack Dempsey or Gene Tunney, he had a brother who I think has appeared on WiT? (although that doesn't exactly narrow it down these days), and he was associated with a man who blew up balloons.

Pete.

Putting a full shift in on this one Pete but struggling to make a breakthrough.

I've looked at Vaudeville acts and comedy duos of the 20s but no joy as yet.

Edited by neverforget

Hi Pete & Nf

Thought you had nailed him as Georges Carpentier, didn’t bother to carryon looking at him anymore, should have paid more attention to your reply Pete, noticed the bit about the rugby and assumed the rest. 

So hes is still up for grabs- game on as they say:thumbsup:

I think the double act which NF has correctly gleaned from the clue would have been 30's and derived it's comedy from the toff and chirpy working class character interaction. When I worked in Brum I was seen in a similar light for the same reason. A salient fact is that the brother had something to do with a publication.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I think the double act which NF has correctly gleaned from the clue would have been 30's and derived it's comedy from the toff and chirpy working class character interaction. When I worked in Brum I was seen in a similar light for the same reason. A salient fact is that the brother had something to do with a publication.

Pete.

Ronald Frankau, Pete. He of Murgatroyd and Winterbottom fame. His other half being a scouser.

His brother Gilbert was a war poet and novelist, and his other brother Jack was k.i.a. in 1917.

That's not even half the story though. A remarkable family.

nf

Nice one

Of course it is , Gilbert wrote for the Wipers Times (A salient fact....nice little cryptic clue Pete)

Edited by Knotty

How about this fellow???

Association football.

afl.jpg.7b2c1215f144dcce9dc7aa18706d917c.jpg

Exactly correct NF, you can see why I fell about laughing at the idea of Ronald in the ring with any of the sluggers that Carpentier traded blows with. I came upon his brother through the Wipers Times (I'm sure he's been in WiT?) and spotted Ronald again when I posted Tommy Handley.

Pete.

Just now, Fattyowls said:

Exactly correct NF, you can see why I fell about laughing at the idea of Ronald in the ring with any of the sluggers that Carpentier traded blows with. I came upon his brother through the Wipers Times (I'm sure he's been in WiT?) and spotted Ronald again when I posted Tommy Handley.

Pete.

His wiki page shows what amazing stock he was born into:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Frankau

#7523 founded a football club, fought in the French Army and (seemingly like everyone else in the Great War) was awarded the Croix de Guerre.

Is it Jules Rimet NF? Father of the World Cup, first in a long line of honest, upstanding, public spirited administrators of FIFA. It's like founding the boy scouts and then finding they've turned into the Mafia.

Pete.

Which would make this chap? (no immediate WW1 connection - source Wikipedia (using a small low res portion of an original image)).

image.png.42067c7055a65d6d7ad1f4cc25792e01.png

Edited by Fattyowls
Odd number of brackets

20 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Is it Jules Rimet NF? Father of the World Cup, first in a long line of honest, upstanding, public spirited administrators of FIFA. It's like founding the boy scouts and then finding they've turned into the Mafia.

Pete.

Which would make this chap? (no immediate WW1 connection - source Wikipedia (using a small low res portion of an original image)).

image.png.42067c7055a65d6d7ad1f4cc25792e01.png

Indeed it is Pete, and I love your brilliant description of him.😊

My next clue if needed was going to allude to our canine hero thus:

Pickles-in-Glass-Jars.jpg.7a1b7a8b0c6c40c6dd4834e490364e0c.jpg

Well played sir.👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Rimet

Edited by neverforget

We think as one NF, and I think that is A Good Thing. There's probably kids trying to use this thread for their homework having put Jules Rimet into their search engines going What!?!

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

We think as one NF, and I think that is A Good Thing. There's probably kids trying to use this thread for their homework having put Jules Rimet into their search engines going What!?!

Pete.

Oh, God-it's Sunday night..............   I can't resist temptation.....Go on ...try.......No,no............my will-power is spent.......... Oh,no....it's happening....watch out....sorry everyone.............

What is the difference  between Pickles the dog and every England manager since Sir Alf?

A: At least Pickles  knew how to get hold of the World Cup.

......I'll get my coat

Edited by Guest

Well if you can't resist temptation on a Sunday then I'm afraid there's no hope for you old chum. 

Indeed, there's more chance of England winning the next World cup....

I've never really understood the problem of us not winning it again. Just give them the ball and tell them to go and play like Brazil did in the 70s. Simple.

Nf

post #7528 Gherkin the dog.........na don’t buy it:D

I can honestly say that I cannot consciously remember ever seeing a picture of the Mr Rimet.

Can’t disagree with your summing up of how we should win the next World. Reminds me how’s the Blues doing:w00t: ... pin pulled on grenade I’m off.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Nf

post #7528 Gherkin the dog.........na don’t buy it:D

I can honestly say that I cannot consciously remember ever seeing a picture of the Mr Rimet.

Can’t disagree with your summing up of how we should win the next World. Reminds me how’s the Blues doing:w00t: ... pin pulled on grenade I’m off.

Cruel! 😊

Not as well as England. (Nuff said)

Who is this nut-case???

mm.jpg.441e0b4891bdcfb956812004e879f8b9.jpg

Mountaineer who leapt from a bridge to prove a point.

Served with the R.F.C.

Not him, but Major is relevant.

He has a connection by birth to a country that was one of our enemies in both world wars, and another connection by marriage to a country that was an enemy in one but an ally in the other.

Stick my neck out here and offer up Major L J Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes,  I found him on the RFC list of 1917, as a family they have a very cosmopolitan background, and I like the name (although not sure what the L J stands for in this case!)

And current extended family member Ranulph Fiennes is a bit of a character in the  field of exploration

17 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Stick my neck out here and offer up Major L J Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes,  I found him on the RFC list of 1917, as a family they have a very cosmopolitan background, and I like the name (although not sure what the L J stands for in this case!)

And current extended family member Ranulph Fiennes is a bit of a character in the  field of exploration

Good work John, but not him either I'm afraid. 

You can add explorer to the list though, and the fact that he was known as mad.

Germany was the consistent enemy, and Japan was the other.

Not Richard von Meinertzhagen, is it?

18 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not Richard von Meinertzhagen, is it?

No Jane, but I think you might know him for his endurance.

Hmmmmm Sir James Wordie?