Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Michel-Joseph Maunory is an interesting man, very prominent in the chaotic period of the Marne in 1914 but was under a cloud after a failed attack in January 1915. The aggression of the French over the winter of 1914/15 is something that I know little about and is something I have on my list to look at. The British were chivied into support attacks and the failure of these played a role in the Christmas truce. Maunory was shot in the eye by a sniper in March 1915 which ended his career. On a similar theme Who(se) is this?

Pete

59fd7300d0e12_Noarminit.jpg.7ac7d12e18693c2fef4ab7a07aa031bd.jpg

P.S. I have had an email exchange with David, all is well in Royal Berkshire.

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Michel-Joseph Maunory is an interesting man, very prominent in the chaotic period of the Marne in 1914 but was under a cloud after a failed attack in January 1915. The aggression of the French over the winter of 1914/15 is something that I know little about and is something I have on my list to look at. The British were chivied into support attacks and the failure of these played a role in the Christmas truce. Maunory was shot in the eye by a sniper in March 1915 which ended his career. On a similar theme Who(se) is this?

Pete

59fd7300d0e12_Noarminit.jpg.7ac7d12e18693c2fef4ab7a07aa031bd.jpg

P.S. I have had an email exchange with David, all is well in Royal Berkshire.

Is it General Gouraud, commander of the French 4th arm.

Delighted to hear that all is well with teacher. Was on the verge of a private enquiry myself. Well done Pete.

Can you tell by sibling resemblance which famous brother I have cropped from this picture???

bf.jpg.4a40ad8a66f26b5844f14ac3d580bcbb.jpg

Little Arnold there died as recently as 1991, living just down the road from me (St John's Street, Devizes)

Thise of us who can recall events of 55 years ago will remember Arnold making comments on TV and the press about the O' Toole film.

6 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

TEL

Well spotted Mr.Drill.

3 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Little Arnold there died as recently as 1991, living just down the road from me (St John's Street, Devizes)

The picture was actually taken from Arnold's Wiki page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._W._Lawrence

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

I'm hopeless at medals and uniforms etc. There are only about half a dozen or so that I recognise, and the Legion of Honour is the only French one I know.

This led me think your man was Joseph Gallieni, as I seem to remember him posthumously being made Marshal of France after the war.

However, after double-checking I see that this was in 1921, not 1923, and could find no record of him being wounded in 1915.

Anyway, during the course of my investigation I stumbled blindly upon Maunoury, and see that it is in fact him.

Well done. Not someone I was overly aware of. But is he the highest-ranking battle casualty of the war?  Rather than a ga-ga Field Marshal popping his clogs in bed while the war was on.  That's why I put him up.  And ,as with others, posthumous Marshal.  Hit by a German sniper- which shows he was near the front line. How near did Haig and Co. get?

And ,blast, you recognized the Legion d'Honneur-I had hopes it might be taken for the Blue Max and lead  our colleagues a merry dance.

Well done. Not someone I was overly aware of. But is he the highest-ranking battle casualty of the war?  Rather than a ga-ga Field Marshal popping his clogs in bed while the war was on.  That's why I put him up.  And ,as with others, posthumous Marshal.  Hit by a German sniper- which shows he was near the front line. How near did Haig and Co. get?

And ,blast, you recognized the Legion d'Honneur-I had hopes it might be taken for the Blue Max and lead  our colleagues a merry dance.

As I said earlier the odds of me recognising a uniform or medal or any kind of insignia are about a zillion to one, so you were indeed very unlucky there. 

As regards the highest rank to be killed, Kitchener springs to mind who was a Field Marshall I believe, though he of course was about as far away from the front line at the time as you could get. 

I don't know; it's an interesting poser, which hopefully will incite input from those far more learned than I. 

While we await Pete's decision on post # 7467, I offer another high ranking casualty:

kf.jpg.e3b4ea0c7e087e317ab1370545fb3ee9.jpg

Sorry NF I was too busy chuckling about the 4th arm gag. Not Gourard, this is closer to home. The man it was attached to was the highest ranking officer to comment on a series of semi-mythical events.

Pete.

12 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Sorry NF I was too busy chuckling about the 4th arm gag. Not Gourard, this is closer to home. The man it was attached to was the highest ranking officer to comment on a series of semi-mythical events.

Pete.

So, closer to home would rule out Alphonse Juin as well then? 

Had more than a hand in breaking the Gustav Line.....O.k I'll get my coat.

P.S. Loved your idea about the Great War Forum on tour. Belting idea!

Edited by neverforget

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

So, closer to home would rule out Alphonse Juin as well then? 

Had more than a hand in breaking the Gustav Line.....O.k I'll get my coat.

P.S. Loved your idea about the Great War Forum on tour. Belting idea!

Not Juin. The owner lost something other than his arm sadly.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Would it be the left hand prosthetic of Lieutenant-General Sir Walter Congreve VC of The Rifle Brigade, who was the only corps commander wounded in WW1. He also lost his son Billy also a VC winner at the Somme. Despite his bravery and losing his hand at Vimy in 1917 he was dismissed in 1918 during the German Offensive and was shunned by his old roommate, namely Haig.

John

That would be absolutely correct John, with a bit of information that I didn't know too. Walter Congreve was also the highest ranking officer to mention football being played during the Christmas truce of 1914. He heard rumours of a game being played further up the line, and considered going out into no man's land himself but thought better of it.

Pete.

Nf

Assuming two things, firstly he is German, and secondly, that your officer is above the rank of Generalmajor, then I need to go through 52 Generalleutant,19 General Der Infanteier, 3 Generaloberst and a couple of Generalfeldmarschall, together with pictures if possible.

In the words of a well known actor......I’ll be back

PS what’s the GWF on tour about?

John

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Nf

Assuming two things, firstly he is German, and secondly, that your officer is above the rank of Generalmajor, then I need to go through 52 Generalleutant,19 General Der Infanteier, 3 Generaloberst and a couple of Generalfeldmarschall, together with pictures if possible.

In the words of a well known actor......I’ll be back

John

Hi John. All your assumptions are correct. I'll spare you the 52 lesser mortals that you mention. 

My GWF on tour comment was in response to our good friend Pete's remark here:

Could this be the start of something magical?????

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF has just rendered this post superlflo, obsol, meaningle pointl out of date. I was being mostly tongue in cheek (as usual) but I think we all know each other well enough in cyberspace to risk meeting up and wandering the vasty fields of France, especially with someone like Jim as the guide.

Pete.

P.s

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Could this be the start of something magical????

I wouldn't got that far.

Post 7475 - Generalfeldmarshall Karl von Bulow, commander of the German Second Army in 1914?

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

12 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Post 7475 - Generalfeldmarshall Karl von Bulow, commander of the German Second Army in 1914?

Ron

Close Ron, but not close enough I'm afraid 

55 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

NF has just rendered this post superlflo, obsol, meaningle pointl out of date. I was being mostly tongue in cheek (as usual) but I think we all know each other well enough in cyberspace to risk meeting up and wandering the vasty fields of France, especially with someone like Jim as the guide.

Pete.

P.s

I wouldn't got that far.

Actually mate, judging by your posts and photos and wonderful anecdotes, I reckon you'd make a mighty fine guide yourself. 

Just saying.......

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

My man was actually murdered/assassinated.

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Actually mate, judging by your posts and photos and wonderful anecdotes, I reckon you'd make a mighty fine guide yourself. 

Just saying.......

My man was actually murdered/assassinated.

NF, would we be talking about an assassination that took place in part of the Ottoman Empire?

As for tour guiding it's much much harder than it appears. I once took some mates to the battlefields and there was a lot of unintentional comedy, Mill Road up to Thiepval was a particular low point. It's about knowing your facts and just the bare minimum of information to paint the scene. I can look over say Mash valley from Oviliers Millitary cemetery and can't stop myself talking about the permafrost origins of dry valleys in chalk country and then telling the story of how one of the occupants of the cemetery inspired the Kop at St Andrews' favourite song.

And that is before describing the Tyneside Irish battalions coming over the hill into the teeth of the German machine guns firing from a mile away to die before even reaching their own front line on 1st July.

You need a proper guide like Jim, or Chris Baker who I know gets it absolutely right.

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

NF, would we be talking about an assassination that took place in part of the Ottoman Empire?

Sorry for the delay, I had to check, but yes you're firmly on his trail.

20 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It's about knowing your facts and just the bare minimum of information to paint the scene. I can look over say Mash valley from Oviliers Millitary cemetery and can't stop myself talking about the permafrost origins of dry valleys in chalk country and then telling the story of how one of the occupants of the cemetery inspired the Kop at St Andrews' favourite song.

And that is before describing the Tyneside Irish battalions coming over the hill into the teeth of the German machine guns firing from a mile away to die before even reaching their own front line on 1st July.

See what I mean? Your words just took me on a guided tour. 

Brilliant mate. 👍

A good guide would just state the bare minimum and let the picture tell the story.

59fe1f40eefec_MashValleyfromnearOvilliers.thumb.JPG.c30fbbb0f1c82f040fe99b99bc649bc9.JPG

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

A good guide would just state the bare minimum and let the picture tell the story.

59fe1f40eefec_MashValleyfromnearOvilliers.thumb.JPG.c30fbbb0f1c82f040fe99b99bc649bc9.JPG

Great picture Pete. I take it that this is Lauder jnr's eternal view then? 

The gentle lies of the land really bring one's imagination into play. Their gentleness belying the horrors that occurred within. 

A picture paints a thousand words, but can also hide as many truths.