Get well soon matey.

Pete.

• Admin

Get well soon NF.

photographer Frank Hurley? 

54 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Get well soon matey.

Pete.

Cheers Pete. I'm better than I was, but I keep making the mistake of thinking I've recovered. I'm fine as long as I just lie here, but the slightest endeavour leaves me gasping like a fish out of water. Patience is called for but I'm afraid that isn't one of my virtues.

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Get well soon NF.

photographer Frank Hurley? 

Thanks Michelle, and well done for identifying the photographer. Hopefully this will lead you quickly to the two men pictured.

Don't forget Knotty's post too folks.

Shackleton and Crean?

15 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Shackleton and Crean?

Not that expedition sJ. 

The chap on the right fought at Gallipoli and kept an extraordinary and comprehensive diary on his time there. Described Gen. Hamilton as a little wizened man on a big horse. 

I know Murray Levick & Atkinson were both at Gallipoli but I'd recognise either of them - so not Terra Nova. 

Hope the hospital is treating you well btw :)

15 hours ago, neverforget said:

I think I recognise her

the other post - isn't that a Russian uniform?

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

I know Murray Levick & Atkinson were both at Gallipoli but I'd recognise either of them - so not Terra Nova. 

Hope the hospital is treating you well btw :)

Thanks sJ. Can't complain really.

Not Terra Nova. 

The leader of this expedition was knighted, but was controversially the subject of a complete character-assassination in a recent book, and has been a former subject of WIT.

Of the two men pictured; one was a mechanic/engineer, and the other (the Gallipoli diarist) a naturalist.

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

the other post - isn't that a Russian uniform?

It is a Russian uniform.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Thanks sJ. Can't complain really.

Not Terra Nova. 

The leader of this expedition was knighted, but was controversially the subject of a complete character-assassination in a recent book, and has been a former subject of WIT.

Of the two men pictured; one was a mechanic/engineer, and the other (the Gallipoli diarist) a naturalist.

It is a Russian uniform.

Best wishes for recovery-  Glad to know it's your phone that has the intermittent signal, not a heart monitor. Phew, what a relief!

Best wishes for recovery-  Glad to know it's your phone that has the intermittent signal, not a heart monitor. Phew, what a relief!

Many thanks 👍

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Many thanks 👍

Perhaps a nurse dressed in the uniform of the Coldstream Guards belting out a chunk of Verdi opera would assist?  That'll get your pulse rate up!

Perhaps a nurse dressed in the uniform of the Coldstream Guards belting out a chunk of Verdi opera would assist?  That'll get your pulse rate up!

Have you been invading my dreams sir?

If so, you've barely dipped your toe into them! 🤓👩‍🍳📈

34 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Have you been invading my dreams sir?

If so, you've barely dipped your toe into them! 🤓👩‍🍳📈

Oh dear!      Sister,  get the on-call psychiatrist  pronto........

Oh dear!      Sister,  get the on-call psychiatrist  pronto........

I think I just heard them page the shrink at Broadmoor for me.

He'll need to bring reinforcements with him.

Gawd! My Australasian Expedition members are struggling more than I thought they would.

Likewise Knotty's Russkie lass.

Hi All

My enforced ban has now expired after 48hrs

nf sorry to hear that your in hospital, hope all is okay and that it is only a temporary blip.Thanks for keeping the pot boiling on my entry, and giving the clue its a lass. I will be looking at the latest entries after a big catch up session.

On that score better say to seaJane and GUEST - yep it is a Russia uniform.

Don't know how many postings i can do before I get logged out again, think it maybe 10 so I have to be a bit economical at the moment till I'm sure its sorted.

John

On 10/30/2017 at 20:27, Knotty said:

So what did this person first achieve 

F9B82F7B-0064-4BCE-B875-2D420587025D.png

Maria Bochkareva- of the Russian Women's Battalion of Death. First female soldier in the Imperial Russian Army in the Great War

Correct GUEST,  found this colourised picture and her appearance took me by surprise.

Information on Maria can be found on Wiki, sorry no link to post as it will kick me out.

John

On 03/11/2017 at 08:42, Knotty said:

Correct GUEST,  found this colourised picture and her appearance took me by surprise.

Information on Maria can be found on Wiki, sorry no link to post as it will kick me out.

John

Link to Maria and the battalion of death:

http://spartacus-educational.com/Wdeath.htm

Still struggling with my Mawson's men?

I'll come clean tonight if it's still unsolved by then.

On 1 November 2017 at 09:39, neverforget said:

The doc's tell me its an exacerbation of my existing lung condition. (C.O.P.D/Emphysima)

Could barely breathe for a day or two but  I'm on the mend now.

Get well soon old chap.

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Link to Maria and the battalion of death:

http://spartacus-educational.com/Wdeath.htm

Still struggling with my Mawson's men?

I'll come clean tonight if it's still unsolved by then.

Percy Correll and Charles Laseron, picture taken at Western Base early in 1913.   Laseron was subsequently wounded at Gallipoli- No idea of Correll's war record but as hew lasted until 1974, thus, not fatal.

On 03/11/2017 at 09:56, Uncle George said:

Get well soon old chap.

Thanks Uncle G. Getting there slowly, but I'll not again be quite the athlete I was two weeks ago.😊

Percy Correll and Charles Laseron, picture taken at Western Base early in 1913.   Laseron was subsequently wounded at Gallipoli- No idea of Correll's war record but as hew lasted until 1974, thus, not fatal.

Perfect answer Mr.V.

Hurley (the photographer, and later ww1 and ww2 official photographer)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Hurley

and Laseron https://maas.museum/inside-the-collection/2015/04/22/sides-of-charles-laseron-part-ii/

both served, and there are some great accounts from Laseron here if the link works for you:

https://m.facebook.com/anzaclivelaseron/?rc=p

I only requested Correll's name to make the challenge a little more difficult, as I (mistakenly?) thought Hurley and Laseron were easy meat.

And this chap-    seriously wounded in 1915 and received an unexpected promotion because of it in 1923.

Michel-Joseph Maunoury.jpg

I'm hopeless at medals and uniforms etc. There are only about half a dozen or so that I recognise, and the Legion of Honour is the only French one I know.

This led me think your man was Joseph Gallieni, as I seem to remember him posthumously being made Marshal of France after the war.

However, after double-checking I see that this was in 1921, not 1923, and could find no record of him being wounded in 1915.

Anyway, during the course of my investigation I stumbled blindly upon Maunoury, and see that it is in fact him.