Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Did he advertise car insurance?

As I said; not Churchill, though he was British to the core. (Or should I say corps?)

So. A mascot for one of our corps.

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Nice one NF

Not Bulldog Drummond but Bully, the mascot of the RFC, found him out here on the forum.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/160095-mascot-of-the-royal-flying-corps/

That's the fellow. Just loved the photo. Can't find him via your link?

My picture taken from here: http://theimageworks.com/pub/nn043/animalswwone/index.html

Edited by neverforget

49 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Can't find him via your link?

On the OP there is an explanation of Bully and the RFC,in a very small font at top, if you go down to where is says link Here, Click on it takes you to the TopFoto site and then enter Bully into the search, it comes up with several pictures and your picture appears about half way down.

Bit long winded but I tend to try searching the forum first, I put in Bulldog and Corps and found the thread.

Ah got him. I see there's one of him flying a 'plane too. Cracking pictures.

I'd put him up against a dachshund any day of the week. 

A topical centennial one this, if you will allow me a day's grace. 

y1.jpg.c89ca338c5f0752c1651c9683637f8e0.jpg

With a further pictorial clue:

y2.jpg.265c6ae1926dcb330528c61e467a7778.jpg

He looks familiar. He's wearing the badge of the US First Division ('the big Red One') and they fired the first shell into German lines by US forces on 23rd October 1917. None of which helps me identify him, which is irksome.

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

He looks familiar. He's wearing the badge of the US First Division ('the big Red One') and they fired the first shell into German lines by US forces on 23rd October 1917. None of which helps me identify him, which is irksome.

Pete.

Pete. You are absolutely correct in all of your observations. Well played. I won't surprise you by saying that the chap pictured is reputed to have let the first one go. 

He had been promoted to the rank of sergeant for his part in the pursuit of Pancho Villa (spit) in 1916, as part of Pershing's forces, and was in C battery of 6th Field Artillery at Bathelemont when the bombardment began.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

I’m pretty sure his name is Sgt Alex L Arch.

I'm pretty sure it is too John. Spot on.

Following a dazzling run down the wing and after taking out three defenders, Mr.Owls puts in a perfect cross and Knotty slots it into the back of the net.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/870-show-your-wwi-studio-photographs/page-5

Nice one lads. It speaks volumes about the difficulties the USA faced in building up it's forces basically from scratch that the first shell was fired six months after the declaration of war using a French artillery piece. I've posted this story elsewhere on the forum but the date of the action is informative:

On 20th April 1918 the village of Seicheprey between Nancy and St Mihiel was taken by the Germans in a violent attack apparently designed to test out the newly arrived Americans. The village was lost after bitter fighting but re-occupied or re-captured later depending on which account you read. The story is that General Pershing was all ready to court martial the officers when a French general arrived with a box full of medals and decorated the said officers. The truth may be a little less dramatic, but some disciplinary action was considered and may have been dropped when the papers back in the States hailed the action as a victory. As I remember you get a good view of the village from the American Memorial on the Butte de Montsec. That said you get a good view of everywhere in the area from up there.

The attack on the newly arrived Americans took place a year after the declaration of war. I am very fond of the American Memorials from WW1, and the Butte is probably my second favourite; I recommend it highly. It can be reached from Verdun quite easily and on the way you can take in the heavily mined ridge at Les Eparges.

Pete.

Good one Pete. More meat on the bones.

Here we have an esteemed knight of the realm, with a distinguished and global record of service.

Innovative and forward thinking, and the first to employ a particular type of artillery.

One of his post war positions almost lead to his assassination.

wr.jpg.60f752cddd53bbec49554816a7df7629.jpg

Cryptically to me it looks like the Tans behind, not putting up a "royal" smoke screen are you NF?

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Cryptically to me it looks like the Tans behind, not putting up a "royal" smoke screen are you NF?

I think you might be red hot John 😊

I do hope so, got a good ear bending for not fixing a bit of guttering this afternoon.

I will let others have ago before I declare.:thumbsup:

220px-King_Henry_VII.jpg.bf6cfd6c51c53693edec5d6245b4e191.jpg

Must have been a good clue as I got it. Henry Hugh Tudor - see what you did there John, good stuff.

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Must have been a good clue as I got it. Henry Hugh Tudor - see what you did there John, good stuff.

Pete.

Roles reversed. This time Owls the flying winger adorns the number 9 shirt after Knotty's pin point cross. Sir Henry Tudor it is. Quite an interesting read up on him here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hugh_Tudor

Not much loved by the I.R.A.

The extensive library was short on information about his forebears; is he a direct relation of Harri Tudur, last man standing in 1485 in a muddy field in Leicestershire? An interesting fact in connection with this is that the four years of WW1 took a greater toll of the aristocracy than the civil wars which happened on and off between 1453 and that day in August. As Michael Caine might say "Now not many people know that". I'll shut the door after me.

Pete.

Major-General Tudor was GOC 9th Division at the time of the capture of Meteren. He found a bicycle and went down to the front to oversee the consolidation of the captured trenches, and legend has it that he personally took a German officer prisoner. When he went back to where he had left his bike, he found that someone had nicked it. :lol:

(British Official History)

Ron

I have great respect for his Great War and pre Great War record. I appreciate the fact that he was a "fighting General", but his handling of the situation in Ireland leaves something of a blot on his copybook for me.

20171026_194013.png.092cf8c8665d68760526a0d8d49eb041.pngStreamed stuff back from the front.

Served in R.N.V.R.

Was present at Galippoli and the Somme.

Awarded the Croix de Geurre. 

Edited by neverforget