Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hi seaJane

Sorry for the delay in getting back, it's not NZ in this instance,so that narrows the field somewhat.

John

William Bostock?

Louis McCubbin?

Not him, but depictions of a similar nature based around Ypres and Bailleul as opposed to Somme and Picardie regions.

As I hinted his  UK work was lost when a specific building was bombed in 1940

Edited by Knotty

48 minutes ago, Knotty said:

lost when a specific building was bombed in 1940

A warehouse in Arnside Street, Southwark, by any chance?

Ron

Sorry Ron that was a bit blunt of me so I will say that the building was in Gower Street Camden

John

Wallace Anderson?

No not him, my chap was born in he UK and worked for the AIF, but he based himself in Leicester.

Not him GUEST, in fact I cannot recall his name anywhere so made a note to find out his details.

On 11/10/2017 at 09:19, Knotty said:

Not him GUEST, in fact I cannot recall his name anywhere so made a note to find out his details.

It was a long-shot-he was an artist who did a lot of work between the wars for the London Underground- Thought your reference to "down under" might be a tongue-in-cheek misdirection- and, of course, a lot of the Underground was destroyed/damaged in WW2

I confirmed in post #7367 that he was linked to the Australian contingent, no deliberate misdirection.

Another clue the building destroyed was the YMCA.

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

I confirmed in post #7367 that he was linked to the Australian contingent, no deliberate misdirection.

Another clue the building destroyed was the YMCA.

Edgar Wright did a series of posters depicting the work of the YMCA.

JP

Sorry JP, not your chap and to be honest I have never come across him before.

Another clue - his watercolour depiction of the Queen Mary YMCA dug-out was purchased by Queen Mary.

John

Me too-

W. Cecil Dunford was born in 1900 and served in the first World War- his sketches of army life occasionally appear on the market. Later on he seems to have painted watercolour landscapes, some around this area including Whitby. Lived in Leicester.

Alas, not helped by 2 things- 1) There are several paintings/drawings of YMCA dug-outs in France   and 2) The Anzacs (Well, New Zealanders)had their own YMCA hut in London

The William Cecil Dunford I have was born in Bromley in 1885 and was a schoolmaster in Leicester in 1911.... oddly enough there is a MIC for him stating that he was in the YMCA and gives a date of entry to France as 31-7-1916..... The Queen Mary Dugout Image is here

Edited by Rollerbeadle
typo corrections

Oh.......and there is this.... it says the copyright has expired so I guess I can upload here.... Dunford is 3rd from Left - back row...... Image courtesy of The Australian War Memorial Research Centre.

Dunford.JPG

Edited by Rollerbeadle

Well done Rollerbeadle, you just pipped Guest, W Cecil Dunsford it is.

Cecil Dunford was born in Bromley, Kent in 1885 and educated at Alleyn's School, Dulwich and Culham Diocesan Teacher Training College. He was attached to the     Historical Records Department with the Australian Forces and the YMCA, and became a war artist based at Bailleul and Ypres. Many of his drawings are of men at rest, in canteens, on the roads, outside their tents, attending concerts, etc., and several of his works are in the Memorial War Museum, Canberra, Australia. A number were at the YMCA Headquarters in London, which was bombed in 1940, and all his works were destroyed. Many of his sketches from the Front were reproduced in Australian, New Zealand and American magazines. A watercolour of Queen Mary's YMCA dug-out was purchased by Queen Mary. He held several one-man exhibitions in Leicester and exhibited in the Cartwright Hall, Bradford. His series of pen and ink drawings of British Cathedrals was published weekly in the Church Times. Cecil Dunford was Senior Art Master at Wyggeston Boys' Grammar School in Leicester, from 1921 to 1950, and was also an Art Master at Harvey's Grammar School in Folkestone. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts in 1939. He passed away in 1969.

Sorry you think I mislead you GUEST,  I did specify it was the Queen Mary dug out, not just any YMCA one and the building was quoted as YMCA, Gower Street where his UK works were housed.

On 11/10/2017 at 18:35, Rollerbeadle said:

stating that he was in the YMCA

The picture I posted has him in uniform with a YMCA badge on his cap

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas on this chap???

And no, it's not W.S.C.20171023_141800.jpg.bc824ae50abc370a08a29b736105d7da.jpg

Bulldog Drummond!

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

7 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Bulldog Drummond!

Mike.

No, it was his chauffeur. 

Actually you're closer than you probably realise.(At least with his name)