Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Anthony Beauchamp-proctor of South Africa

khaki

Good morning America!

South Africa's top scoring ace. Well spotted khaki

David

And another Ace to be going on with. Like Mr. Gass, his title of Ace came with a unique claim to fame.

Who is he, and what makes him unique ???

post-95959-0-01647200-1406296600_thumb.j

I've wondered why Siege Gunner and Liz haven't posted lately. It's occurred to me more than once that I'm now the only female left. Sue makes the odd guest appearance and Mary and Michelle haven't posted for a long time.

While looking for a WIT recently, I came across a very strange story. I can't find a photo of the man himself but he was a real Walter Mitty type who invented the aeroplane below. Who was he? (I may not be around later today because I have guests staying for three weeks so need to crack on, but whoever guesses correctly will know they have) Edit: You're doing a great job with WIT stats David. You'll be able to write a book or patent a board game at the end of it!

Caryl is this FW Gooden, designer of the SE5?

Good morning America!

South Africa's top scoring ace. Well spotted khaki

David

I see he was another V.C. winner too.

We've had this chap before, although with

And another Ace to be going on with. Like Mr. Gass, his title of Ace came with a unique claim to fame.

Who is he, and what makes him unique ???

attachicon.gifkjo.jpg

Is this McKeever? If so he was the top two-seater ace

David

I`m afraid it`s not McAnyone, gentlemen.

He`s a "Sir", and his name once seen is absolutely unforgettable, and undeniable. I can feel my cryptic alter-ego kicking in.

I`m afraid it`s not McAnyone, gentlemen.

He`s a "Sir", I can feel my cryptic alter-ego kicking in.

Is it Captain Arthur Knight (see what I did there?)

Is it Captain Arthur Knight (see what I did there?)

It took a minute or two, U.G. but I got there in the end. :)

It`s not him though. Wrong nationality.

Is it De Havilland, Caryl?

Nice find indeed David; 39 enemy aircraft shot down between March and August 1918. Absolutely astounding but it does show the potency of the Bristol Fighter in which all of the victories were scored if I've read the records correctly.

Pete.

Time for another clue for my Sir. Ace.
Also awarded DSO. MC. DFC. Ended up a Vice Marshal.

With his name, identification should never be a problem.

Time for another clue for my Sir. Ace.

Also awarded DSO. MC. DFC. Ended up a Vice Marshal.

With his name, identification should never be a problem.

How about Christopher "Flossie" Quintin-Brand?

Bullseye, U.G. Air Vice Marshal Sir Christopher Joseph Quintin Brand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintin_Brand

His personal claim to fame being that he was the highest scoring RAF night fighter pilot of the First World War.

A slight twist:

Who DID this???post-95959-0-96744800-1406315225_thumb.j

Friends

Just to round off my admiration for Charles Gass' sharpshooting exploits this is a link to a bit of relevant footage which I for one find amazingly evocative and now very apposite. Apologies if you have seen it before.

Pete.

Well, I enjoyed my flight. Thanks Pete.

"if you don't know where you are going you are liable to end up somewhere else".

I believe I read that in South West Trains' Mission Statement.

Caryl is this FW Gooden, designer of the SE5?

Is it De Havilland, Caryl?

Neither sorry. This man was a fraudster who persuaded a rich family to finance the construction of his infernal aeroplane by claiming that it would be vitally important and used to kidnap a leading European figure. He was a Walter Mitty type who made all kinds of claims that weren't true, or were never verfied. The whole story is a bit jaw dropping to say the least.

Intrigued, but lost........

Nice find indeed David; 39 enemy aircraft shot down between March and August 1918. Absolutely astounding but it does show the potency of the Bristol Fighter in which all of the victories were scored if I've read the records correctly.

Pete.

Two final points on Gass and the potency of the Brisfit. One of their dogfights is known as the '2 against 20' as it was 2 Bristol Fighters against 20 German scouts. Gass and his pilot Atkey shot down 5 and the other Brisfit accounted for three.

Interestingly Atkey didn't claim a single further victory after Gass moved on to another pilot (not a dig at Atkey who was by all accounts an excellent pilot it just seems they were very much a double act.)

David

Friends

Just to round off my admiration for Charles Gass' sharpshooting exploits this is a link to a bit of relevant footage which I for one find amazingly evocative and now very apposite. Apologies if you have seen it before.

Pete.

Terrific footage Pete. as you said on that thread it's the engine sound that makes it so much more evocative. I'm probably talking rot but it certainly gives a feeling of solidity - it looks like a stable gun platform that could take a lot of stick and still keep going.

Gass and this footage has been my big WIT learning experience for today

David

A slight twist:

Who DID this???attachicon.gif3807.jpg

Donald Charles Cunnell is the FE2 pilot normally credited with wounding von Richthofen. However it could have been his observer Albert Woodbridge

David

Bullseye, U.G. Air Vice Marshal Sir Christopher Joseph Quintin Brand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintin_Brand

His personal claim to fame being that he was the highest scoring RAF night fighter pilot of the First World War.

A perfect example of why we shouldn't worry about repeats. I put his picture up months ago claiming his name to be the strangest on the thread. I was quickly shot down on that claim and I had completely forgotten about him until now.

David

Who might this gent be?

post-101238-0-39803600-1406324722_thumb.