Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

(I promise I won't be this boring for long!)

Can we have that in writing? And thanks for drawing attention to my schoolboy French faux pas. Cheers mate; it's down there with the threat of incineration as my real Wit? low point.

Pete.

Can we have that in writing? And thanks for drawing attention to my schoolboy French faux pas. Cheers mate; it's down there with the threat of incineration as my real Wit? low point.

Pete.

Pete

Apologies my friend. Let me redress the balance and say that around the same time you pulled off a notable WIT? feat. Within the space of three hours you identified Gilbert Frankau, Herbert Sutcliffe, Arthur Tedder, CRW Nevinson, Prince Maximillian of Baden, Stanley Spencer and Admiral Franz von Hipper - Renaissance Man thy name is Fattyowls

David

Is this the Angel of Siberia Elsa Brandstrom?

no

different country and a very old family

connected to Cavell in the First World War (password !) and to Giraud in the Second World War

Pete

Apologies my friend. Let me redress the balance and say that around the same time you pulled off a notable WIT? feat. Within the space of three hours you identified Gilbert Frankau, Herbert Sutcliffe, Arthur Tedder, CRW Nevinson, Prince Maximillian of Baden, Stanley Spencer and Admiral Franz von Hipper - Renaissance Man thy name is Fattyowls

David

Nice try but I'm still officially sulking. And I haven't a clue who any of the recent candidates are; I read as much as I could about aeronautical inovation between the wars and I'm still none the wiser about Daniel's ape descendent who may or may not have his picture in the Library of Congress. Bunny, happy, not; add the indefinite article to make a well known phrase or sentence..... :angry2:

No one has spotted my WIT thus far, so time for clue number three, and 3A. His name was known far and wide in the field of aviation during WWII, and his career in the decades after that conflict was positively over the moon.

:ph34r:

-Daniel

PS: did I happen to mention my dad worked for him?

no

different country and a very old family

connected to Cavell in the First World War (password !) and to Giraud in the Second World War

Marie de Croy

Carl. Your intrepid lady is Marie de Croy, and your clues are bang on. :thumbsup:

Neck and neck there U.G. Both identical times, but you pipped me at the post. :thumbsup:

(Well they were identical times till I edited) :)

Edited by neverforget

As for Daniel`s man; I have posted a few aeronautical engineers myself, and have uncovered quite a few in the process, but alas, not this one. As David said; this is not an "off the shelf number".

Stick with us, Daniel, we`ll get there. (I think!)

No one has spotted my WIT thus far, so time for clue number three, and 3A. His name was known far and wide in the field of aviation during WWII, and his career in the decades after that conflict was positively over the moon.

:ph34r:

-Daniel

PS: did I happen to mention my dad worked for him?

Leroy Grumman

Following the request for aces. An easy one that we don`t appear to have yet had:

Who is getting what pinned on his chest???

post-95959-0-16155200-1406289719_thumb.j

Brilliant UG and an excellent post Daniel, the opposite of a meatball. I was working my way through US aeronautical companies last night and Grumman was next on the list (I got sidetracked by Martin Marrietta). As soon as I saw the moon clue I thought of the movie Apollo 13 and the Grumman guys who built the LEM. Not quick enough on the draw.

Pete.

Neck and neck there U.G. Both identical times, but you pipped me at the post. :thumbsup:

Brilliant UG and an excellent post Daniel, the opposite of a meatball. I was working my way through US aeronautical companies last night and Grumman was next on the list (I got sidetracked by Martin Marrietta). As soon as I saw the moon clue I thought of the movie Apollo 13 and the Grumman guys who built the LEM. Not quick enough on the draw.

Pete.

Just lucky this time. We must remember Addison: "He who hesitates is lost. Swift and resolute action leads to success; self-doubt is a prelude to disaster."

But then, often I've jumped in too quick and made a fool of myself.

Just lucky this time. We must remember Addison: "He who hesitates is lost. Swift and resolute action leads to success; self-doubt is a prelude to disaster."

But then, often I've jumped in too quick and made a fool of myself.

I think it's a bit more than luck UG; I think the quotation that sums up my recent Wit? research is "if you don't know where you are going you are liable to end up somewhere else".

Pete.

Following the request for aviators. An easy one that we don`t appear to have yet had:

attachicon.giffb.jpg

NF That's Adolphe Pegoud,

Edit - the Croix de Guerre

Following the request for aviators. An easy one that we don`t appear to have yet had:

attachicon.giffb.jpg

This chap is the first ace of the war Adolphe Pegoud

Sticking with aviators this chap's a curiosity:

post-66715-0-08914100-1406292651_thumb.j

Who is he and what is his claim to fame?

David

PS: By the way, nice one Daniel. Yours are always worth waiting for

Sticking with aviators this chap's a curiosity:

attachicon.gifdri 239.jpg

Who is he and what is his claim to fame?

David

PS: By the way, nice one Daniel. Yours are always worth waiting for

Is this Eustace Loraine's observer Staff Sergeant RHV Wilson? The first RFC personnel to die in a crash while on duty.

Is this Eustace Loraine's observer Staff Sergeant RHV Wilson?

It isn't although he was an observer. The Germans were, I suspect, delighted and relieved when he went for pilot training in August 1918

David

Both correct on Monsieur Pegoud, gents. An easy one for obvious reasons, and surprising he hasn`t appeared before.

Nice find, David!

It`s Charles George Gass, and he was the highest scoring observer in WW1.

Nice find, David!

It`s Charles George Gass, and he was the highest scoring observer in WW1.

And one of those folk you think, "How have I never heard of you before?"

I only came across him when researching my 'Aces round the world' set, but what an extraordinary career. A Sergeant in the TA he shows proficiency with a Lewis Gun and is transferred into the RFC and Brisfits. Proceeds to shoot down 39 planes, including 28 in one month! (according to the extensive library the most recorded in one month by anyone on either side). Then goes off to train as a pilot. The war ends before he gets his wings so he goes back to being a clerk in the Post Office. You couldn't make it up.

Anyway speaking of Aces from around the world:

post-66715-0-38937100-1406295894_thumb.j

David

Marie de Croy

Carl. Your intrepid lady is Marie de Croy, and your clues are bang on. :thumbsup:

perfect ! indeed princess Marie de Croy

Carl (always tought that using Yorc as a password was making it easy for the Germans !)