The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

5 minutes ago, daggers said:

Cruel Sea?

You mean the popular beat combo?

The Cruel Sea (band) - Wikipedia

The Cruel Sea are an Australian indie rock band from Sydney formed in late 1987. Originally an ... Their best-known songs are "Better Get a Lawyer", "Takin' All Day", "The Honeymoon Is Over" and "Reckless Eyeballin'" – an instrumental track ...

Would it be Claude Rains?, played Caesar in 1945 and played Mr Dryden in Lawrence of Arabia saying:-

T.E. Lawrence : Where are they now? 

Mr. Dryden : Anywhere within 300 miles of Medina. They're Hashemite Bedouins. They can cross 60 miles of desert in a day.

Not forgetting in WW1 he ended up as a Captain in the London Scottish

Our man was not tall-which is just as well as his family home was a small house. Oh-and our man had a close connection with:

Image result for beatty  maureen lipman

Oh-and on theme of  British luvvies, our Caesar is not this man-  Any excuse for the pic. God, I'm fed up with the footie-and England haven't even been humiliated  yet.

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Would it be Claude Rains?, played Caesar in 1945 and played Mr Dryden in Lawrence of Arabia saying:-

T.E. Lawrence : Where are they now? 

Mr. Dryden : Anywhere within 300 miles of Medina. They're Hashemite Bedouins. They can cross 60 miles of desert in a day.

Not forgetting in WW1 he ended up as a Captain in the London Scottish

Good guess-but,alas, no cuddly toy.  I have posted a pic. of a very nice lady which should give you the answer.   

Well he's aged 53 years since then.

The lady has a Great War connection, but it's so obscure that only Mr Drill is likely to get it.

Edited by IPT

8 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Well done all-   Harry Williams it is.  Apart from the line about Piccadilly and Leicester Square, the rest of the lyrics seem unknown, despite the the song being mentioned-let along sung/hummed- so often.

Harry Williams, the son of a publican -somewhere in  the Stalybridge/ Balsall Heath area (Let's j just t call it Megalopolis Brum). Crippled in a fall as a boy-hence the need to find a pic. of him without a wheelchair. Co-operated with Mr. Judge on "Tipperary", the lyrics concern an Irishman working in London who longs to get back home and propose to his sweetheart.   The original version of the song was called "Connemara"  but was changed when Willaims and Judge got together.

As to the clues:: Using the AA classic Route Planner, the distance and travel time from Leicester Square, London to Tipperary are:

a)   476.5 miles

b)   619  minutes

BUT originally  it was

a) 539 miles

b)  706 minutes

+  This is the AA Classic Route Planner from Leicester Square, London to Connemara.

"And another clue-   Michael Moloney got  in first"

The lyrics give the answer in the proper last verse- If Paddy gets back to Tipperary, then-alas, he would find that Mick Moloney has got in first and popped the question to his sweetheart

Ron-Alas not Lenin and the Sealed Train. As young Broomfield will tell you, the Sealed Train was franchised by the German Government from South West Trains- Consequently, it has not yet arrived and is running late.

Just down the road from me at Meer End, Honily, Warwickshire. Originally called the Plough Inn. His is buried in Temple Balsall graveyard just a few minutes away.

20060409-82165_0-TippPub.jpg

20060409-82164_2-HWCottage.jpg

20060409-82164_3-HWCottagePlaque.jpg

20060409-82164_0-HenryWilliamsGrave.jpg

20060409-82164_1-HenryWilliamsinscription.jpg

20060409-82165_1-TippPubSign.jpg

Edited by Terry_Reeves

TR- good post, nice pics.   WIT really does bring out some curious info. about the war.  Makes a change from the same old stuff in some books :wub:

49 minutes ago, IPT said:

Well he's aged 53 years since then.

The lady has a Great War connection, but it's so obscure that only Mr Drill is likely to get it.

I get it.

It 's Barbara Stanwyck

Edited by Stoppage Drill

29 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

TR- good post, nice pics.   WIT really does bring out some curious info. about the war.  Makes a change from the same old stuff in some books :wub:

It's interesting to see how things are forgotten. I went into the pub for lunch after taking the photos. Inside there was an old piano with some publicity photos of the pair on the top and in a corner was a plaque dating from the 1920's commemorating Harry Williams' association. Two years or so later the pub had changed hands , the plaque was gone as had the photographs, and the piano was rotting in the carpark, although I suspect that had actually nothing to do with it. I asked the new landlord about it and he said  that he didn't have a clue about the history. I explained and he seemed  suprised.  I do find the lack of  curiosity rather strange.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

52 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Mrs Stevenson, the wife of the  first RSM of the Welsh Guards, handing out leeks, St. David's Day 1964

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Mrs Stevenson, the wife of the  first RSM of the Welsh Guards, handing out leeks, St. David's Day 1964

And a goldfish for you, sir.

Took a bit of fathoming but I think that it is Alfred Ernie Montague Chatfield.

Midshipman on HMS Cleopatra

Gunnery Officer on HMS Caesar 

Captain of RMS Medina for the Royal Tour of India 1911

Becoming Admiral of the Fleet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernle_Chatfield,_1st_Baron_Chatfield

Not sure on Maureen Lipman and the South Downs connection .......yet

Edited by Knotty

Very well done-   The picture is of Ditchling Beacon, as Chatfield was raised to the peerage as Baron Chatfield of Ditchling.  He was small in stature and his family home in Farnham, Bucks. was called The Small House.   Let me put you out of your misery re. Maureen Lipman  (This is a Monty Python Slap-Round-The-Face-With-A-Wet-Fish Moment)  Chatfield was David's bagman, sorry, Flag Captain on HMS Lion at Jutland-and elsewhere

Maureen Lipman's most famous role;

....................   and someone with a similar name  Enjoy.  :wub:

image.jpeg.3fcc04d39f6f741641e1d5a85d79d3ce.jpeg       

A

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

1965 I think. 50th anniversary of founding of the regiment, but could be wrong. 

Chelsea Barracks.

34 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

1965 I think. 50th anniversary of founding of the regiment, but could be wrong. 

Chelsea Barracks.

Nicked it from the Welsh Guards blog site-where the pic. comes up.  Other bloggers identify some of the others in the pic. (inc. Mr. Pastry?) but 1965 seems a much more likely date than 1964, given the history of the regiment. 

Hi M

I have his biography and the above image is on the front cover, I’ll pass if I may, and with out giving anything away  (ed by sb)

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Hi M

I have his biography and the above image is on the front cover, I’ll pass if I may, and with out giving anything away  (ed by sb)

Too easy! Couldn't find a picture of him in correct uniform if you follow me.