Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Fallen of Llan Ffestiniog

suesalter1

I am researching the men who died in WW1 from the village of Llan Ffestiniog,Gwynedd, North Wales. They were 40 all told, 39 of which are named on the village war memorial. My great-uncle, Pte. Arthur Price, was one of them and I have lots of information about him, but I am researching the lives and war service of the others. Most served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers - 8 were in the 7th Battalion, 2 died at Gallipoli and others died in Greece or Egypt. The EEF's records seem scarce and the 7th Battalion's War Diary not on-line yet. Is there any other sources I can check?

By the by, the village is also holding a 2 day WW1 exhibition on the 4th/5th August. If anyone is in the area and better still, has links to the village and the men who served, please come along from 10am to 5pm. My research will be published in a forthcoming book.

Hello Sue

Welcome/Croeso to the Forum

You might find downloading this volume of the Regimental Records of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers useful for your research. The index is at the front.

https://archive.org/details/regimentalrecord04dudl

At the rear of the book is the Roll of Honour. I downloaded it in pdf form and the RoH for the 7th Bn is at page 393 (445 of 480 in the pdf) I should say that this RoH material is the same as that found in the database Soldiers Died Great War which you may have already come across (e g on Ancestry). That database distinguishes between Killed in Action, Died of Wounds and Died where the last means of natural cause/disease etc. Many in that theatre of war died of disease such as dysentery (the ones showing Greece?)

Hywyn

Thanks for this link. I have a copy of the Regimental Records of the RWF, but only for France and Flanders. This should prove most useful.

Thanks again.

Sue.

Not that I know off. I have a copy of the actual book. If you need any information from it, please let me know.

Sue.

I am researching the men who died in WW1 from the village of Llan Ffestiniog,Gwynedd, North Wales. They were 40 all told, 39 of which are named on the village war memorial. My great-uncle, Pte. Arthur Price, was one of them and I have lots of information about him, but I am researching the lives and war service of the others. Most served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers - 8 were in the 7th Battalion, 2 died at Gallipoli and others died in Greece or Egypt. The EEF's records seem scarce and the 7th Battalion's War Diary not on-line yet. Is there any other sources I can check?

By the by, the village is also holding a 2 day WW1 exhibition on the 4th/5th August. If anyone is in the area and better still, has links to the village and the men who served, please come along from 10am to 5pm. My research will be published in a forthcoming book.

Hi Sue,

I have the war diaries for the 158th infantry brigade (53rd Div) if you would like them. Once you get 10 posts pm me your E-mail Address and I'll pop them on Dropbox.

Regards

Will

The following were listed as born in Ffestiniog.

Davies Robert 290592 L/Cpl Egypt 20/04/1917

Edwards Robert Lloyd 26276 Pte France/Flanders 13/05/1916

Ellis David Richard 291534 Pte Egypt 26/03/1917

Evans David Joseph 20327 Pte F/F 02/10/1916

Griffiths William Davies 20270 Pte F/F 22/11/1917

Hughes Thomas 290401 Pte Egypt 28/10/1917

Jones Caradog 267994 Pte Mesopotamia 03/08/1916

Jones David David 25252 Pte F/F 04/08/1916

Jones Henry 290514 Pte Egypt 19/09/1917

Jones John 20274 Pte F/F 31/01/1917

Jones John Owen 49804 Pte Died at Sea 04/05/1917

Jones John William 25215 Pte F/F 15/07/1916

Jones Morris 25269 Pte F/F 29/08/1917

Jones Richard Benjamin 290371 CSM Egypt 06/11/1917

Jones Robert Henry 54737 Pte F/F 13/11/1916

Jones Thomas 70149 Pte F/F 26/09/1917

Jones Thomas 25290 Pte F/F 31/07/1917

Jones William Arthur 26127 Pte F/F 18/04/1916

Lloyd John Edward 290471 L/Cpl Egypt 26/03/1917

Lloyd Robert 25122 Pte F/F 28/08/1917

Owen Griffith 20268 Pte F/F 19/01/1917

Owen Gwalchmai 25242 Pte F/F 10/07/1916

Owen Richard 25208 Sgt F/F 17/09/1918

Owen Thomas 290428 Sgt Egypt 26/03/1917

Owen Thomas John 20221 Pte F/F 01/05/1918

Roberts John Griffith 6445 Pte F/F 16/05/1616

Roberts Richard 10081 Pte F/F 25/09/1915

Roberts Robert Faulkes 290473 Pte Egypt 25/11/1917

Stoddart Evan David 20212 Pte F/F 31/07/1917

Thomas David 20464 Pte F/F 10/07/1916

Thomas John 203457 Pte F/F 06/04/1916

Thomas Joseph 26369 Pte F/F 18/10/1918

Williams David 2612 Pte Gallipoli 10/08/1915

Williams Ivor 66821 Pte F/F 21/11/1917

Newborough Rt. Hon. William Charles Lieut. Welsh Guards F/F 19/07/1616

Hwyl

Kevin

• Admin

Hi Sue,

I have the war diaries for the 158th infantry brigade (53rd Div) if you would like them. Once you get 10 posts pm me your E-mail Address and I'll pop them on Dropbox.

Regards

Will

You no longer need to reach 10 posts before being able to use the PM system. It should be available now.

Regards

glen

GWF Admin Team

Seeking information L/Corp. William Hugh Jones, 6th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, service no 1815. He died at home on the 20th March 1916 and is buried at Bethseda (Coetmor) Non-Conformist Burial Ground, Caenarfonshire. His widow, M J Owen (formally Jones) lived at 66 Henwalia,Caenarfon. William is one of the men I am researching for my book on the fallen of Llan Ffestiniog.

Can anyone help?

Sue.

Hello Sue,

You've probably seen this but I came across this snippet in the "North Wales Chronicle & Advertiser for the Principality" dated Friday 3rd December 1915 when I was looking for something else (as usual!)

"BLAENAU FESTINIOG

LLAN BAND ENLISTS - All members of the Llan (Festiniog) Band, one of the best North Wales Bands, have enlisted in the 3/7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers as the regimental band. The Llan Band has for some years been a prominent competitor at important contests. The bandmaster (Mr Isaac Jones) has already four sons with the colours."

Not sure if they eventually went abroad or not but I do know that the regimental band of the 6th Battalion served abroad (Gallipoli and Egypt) so there could possibly be a connection to some of your men?

Helen

Hi Helen,

Interesting what you say about the band. My great-uncle, who was killed in the war, was a bugler in the local band at Llan, but he served in the 13th Battalion. I will investigate further.

Thanks,

Sue.

Sue

I haven't picked up anything in the papers etc regarding William Hugh Jones 1815 at Coetmor, Bethesda.

It's curious that SDGW/RWF RoH show him as a 2nd 7th man whilst everything else points to him being a 6th Bn man. Possibly a temporary attachment. This number in 6th RWF would have enlisted 17th-18th September 1914. I can make a very strong case that the numbers roughly between 1200 and 2000 in 7th RWF were not allocated. There are no records that I can see for him on Ancstry.

Note that the 'Home' in the SDGW database means in the UK and therefore not necessarily at his home. Looking in the death registers for that month and I would say that in all probability he is the William H Jones registered at Norwich (and born ca1889). There are no William Hugh/William H Jones for the Bangor/Caernarfon area and the 2nd line battalions were based around that area of England at that time.

CWGC did not send out the 'family forms' until about 1918-19. This should explain why his wife is shown as remarried.

What is it that links him to Llan Ffestiniog?

I should add that there is no William Hugh Jones/William H Jones on the Bethesda Memorial. The only William Jones is William R Jones and he can be accounted for.

edit:also William Thomas Jones who can be accounted for.

William Hugh Jones is listed on the war memorial at Llan. His address is given as Panallt. However, I have found anybody of that name living there on the census's. I have seen him listed as being in both the 6th and 7th Battalion, but believe they served in similar places anyway.

Just discovered that William Hugh Jones is also listed on the cenotaph at Caernarfon. No more information that what I already know about widow.

Sue

Thanks Sue

There is absolutely nothing to link the two at the moment then. William Hugh Jones is an extremely 'common' name in North Wales.

Are there any church or chapel memorials in Llan? Sometimes they can give a bit more information.

Also, a lot of information can be gleaned from men commemorated on family gravestones (although not buried there)

Hywyn

We posted same time there Sue.

Can you link to the info that there is a William Hugh Jones is on the cenotaph at Caernarfon.

There are 4 William Jones and a W H Jones (Wynne Street). The last one can be shown to be a William Humphreys Jones

Possibly this is what you found

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=caernarfon-cenotaph-fww-a-j

The name on the cenotaph is W H Jones, Wynne Street.

Below are my notes showing William Humphreys Jones of Wynne Street. I can't say 100% that it is not the Bethesda one but he is more likely to be the one.

Service Records: Enlisted in the 6th RWF on 28/9/1914 and numbered Pte 2004.Later 315542 23rd RWF.William Humphreys Jones, 9 Wynne Street. NoK, wife,Laura Jones. File shows he died of Cerebral-Spinal Fever on 11/2/1917. File not yet fully read

Mr and Mrs John Jones, 20 Edward Street received the sad news on Monday that their son Pte W H Jones had died in hospital in Norwich. He was a member of the RWF. His father went to Norwich on Sunday but Jones had died before he got there. The deceased, who was 29 years old, had been a widower for five months. He was taken to hospital on Tuesday and died the following Sunday. The remains were interred at Llanbeblig ? Churchyard on Friday 16th February. (C&D H 16/2/1917)

On Monday news was received by Mr and Mrs John Jones, 20 Edward Street that their son Pte W H Jones, RWF, had died in hospital, in Norwich aged 29 years. His wife predeceased him five months ago. He was taken to hospital on Tuesday and died the following Sunday (N W Chronicle 16/2/1917 )

Mr and Mrs John Jones, 20 Edward Street have been informed that their son, Pte W H Jones has died in a hospital in Norwich aged 29 years. He was widowed 5 months ago. (Y Genedl Gymraeg 20 2 1917)

At the parish church on Sunday Rev David Jones paid tribute to two fallen soldiers namely Pte W Bryan Davies who was killed in France and Pte W H Jones, 20 Edward Street who died in a hospital in Norwich. (Y Genedl Gymraeg 27 2 1917)

Memorial service at Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel on Sunday to Pte W Bryan Davies and Pte W H Jones, 20 Edward Street. (N W Chronicle 23/2/1917)

At the evening service at Ebenezer Chapel on Sunday the pastor, Rev David Jones, made touching references to two soldiers, members of the church, who had died in the service of their country, namely Pte W Bryan Davies and Pte W H Jones (20 Edward Street) (C&D H 23/2/1917)

CWGC: Pte 315542 William Jones of the 23rd Bn RWF who died 11.2.1917 aged 30 years. Son of John and Margaret Jones, of 20, Edward St., Carnarvon; husband of Laura Jones. Buried at St Mary’s Churchyard, Llanfair Is Gaer (Felinheli)

SDGW:

William Humphreys Jones Born and enlisted Carnarvon. Died Home.

Not my man then. I will try to visit his grave at Bethseda when I visit in August and see if I can glean anymore clues.

Thanks for your help.

Sue.

Hi - At the RWF Museum in Caernarfon, we are still looking for photos of RWF who fought in WW1. Although we were initially looking for the Fallen - due to public demand we are collecting in survivors now too. All help greatly appreciated.

Shirley RWF Museum

Hi Shirley,

Don't forget I'm bringing you the photos of the men from Llan Ffestiniog on the 6th August. Hope to see you there.

Sue

• 3 years later...

Hi Sue. I know I'm joining this three years too late, but are you still doing research into Llan Ffestiniog War Memorial? I am researching the men on Dolwyddelan memorial, and I have some questions, and maybe some information you might use about a chap who I think is on both memorials.

Shaun