Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. 1917 Rifle Repair Box?

gSpartan150

Hey everyone!

I was at an antique store and found two U.S. 1917 Rifle Repair Kit boxes. I've only got pictures of the one. The other was in better shape on the outside but was missing the chain to the lid and some of the compartments; it was $75. I'm assuming the one I have photographs to is the same price, but I'm not sure. Is it worth buying?

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

Link to photographs: http://imgur.com/a/zlh5S

These are quite common items and show up on eBay with some regularity. The price is about standard.

I am not sure how to answer your question "is it worth buying?" as that rather depends on you. I doubt as an investment it is going to make you rich but if you have an M1917 and would like something interesting to go with it, or if you are setting up a display of equipment.....or if you wanted a strong wooden period box in which to store things.....

I have looked at these occasionally and never found a reason to buy one, in part because I am not sure where I could store it/use it. I have a nice M1917 but as that is stored securely and space it at a premium for me I have other things to spend my money on If I found one with the contents that might be another story!

Bottom line - the price is (IMHO) at the top end for one in that shape but not outrageous. If the label were less damaged/ fully legible it would be a better deal. It might be fun/frustrating to try and assemble the contents!

Chris

These are quite common items and show up on eBay with some regularity. The price is about standard.

I am not sure how to answer your question "is it worth buying?" as that rather depends on you. I doubt as an investment it is going to make you rich but if you have an M1917 and would like something interesting to go with it, or if you are setting up a display of equipment.....or if you wanted a strong wooden period box in which to store things.....

I have looked at these occasionally and never found a reason to buy one, in part because I am not sure where I could store it/use it. I have a nice M1917 but as that is stored securely and space it at a premium for me I have other things to spend my money on If I found one with the contents that might be another story!

Bottom line - the price is (IMHO) at the top end for one in that shape but not outrageous. If the label were less damaged/ fully legible it would be a better deal. It might be fun/frustrating to try and assemble the contents!

Chris

Thanks for your input.

I decided I'm not going to get it because the ones on Ebay are in better shape and are around the same price. Besides, I don't have an M1917 Rife yet.

Well actually I just looked at the ones on eBay currently and although they are in better shape they are asking 4 or 5 times the price so perhaps I need to revise my estimate!

Chris

Well actually I just looked at the ones on eBay currently and although they are in better shape they are asking 4 or 5 times the price so perhaps I need to revise my estimate!

Chris

Oh, really? I was looking at completed and the only two that got bought were in better shape and were only around $80.