Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th & 6th Bns, South Lancs - Transcribed Diaries for download

Stephen Nulty

I have transcribed the diaries for the 1/5th SLR from 01/02/1915 to 31/03/1919 (France/Flanders) and also the 6th Bn from 02/07/1915 to 31/12/1917 (Gallipoli/Mesopotamia)

Into the transcriptions, I have inserted CWGC entries to help illustrate the impact of the actions in the diaries..

I'm sure there are lots of 'tryping errots' and no doubt many of the names are incorrect, especially those in the 6th Bn diary in Mespot. But you can't expect too much for free, can you.

:)

These links will allow you to download the pdf documents from my site.

Enjoy :)

1/5th Bn - http://www.prescot-rollofhonour.info/Documents/SLR_1-5Bn_WarDiaryV3.pdf

6th Bn - http://www.prescot-rollofhonour.info/Documents/SLR_6Bn_WarDiaryV1.pdf

Graeme

Glad it is of some use, only sorry that I couldn't get the casualty lists integrated. I had lots of information, perhaps too much (long lists of 1915 wounded, for example), but certainly not enough time !!

Hi Steve,

Is the list of wounded searchable ??

My grandfather, 482 Brown, was wounded in the left leg which was subsequently amputated. Ended up in hospital in Bombay.

One family 'lore' says it was at Gallipoli, another at Kut al Amara.

He always swore blind it was a red headed Turk who shot him and that he shot him back in his leg !!

Would dearly like to pinpoint his date of wounding,

Regards,

Graeme

Sorry Graeme, they're just lists I have collated as pdf's from the British Newspaper Archive. I can't immediately see any reference to your Harry Brown

Stephen, many thanks for that. I have taken the liberty of copying the 6th BN diary. Granddad was one of the 53 Other ranks wounded in January (loss of right arm, 11th January '17.

Thatnks Peter

PS noticed that the text for january '17 says 9 ORs killed....but lists 22?

Peter

Glad you found it of some use.

With regard to the casualty numbers, that's why I have a disclaimer on the first page. The diary entry will record the number of casualties as they were known to them at the time, whereas CWGC figures are from their own records and the two don't always match. I never attepmt to reconcile the differences !!

A good example of this is illustrated on 4th/5th April 1916. CWGC records three officers with a date of death of 4th. The diary records that as a quiet night with the Bn going into action the following day. It then states on 5th that 3 officers and 23 men of "A" Coy were found dead, listing the men, which clearly suggests that they fell in the same action.

I queried this some time back with CWGC and they simply say that this is the information with which they were provided.

Also, it's worth remembering that men will have died of wounds away from theor battalion and so the diarist would not have been aware of their deaths.

Excellent work Stephen, many thanks for the links.

BillyH.

• 6 months later...

Just want to thank you for the transcription of the 6th Bns diary. My grandfather served with the 6th in Gallipoli and Mesopotamia and it has been interesting comparing his entries against the official one.

Again, thanks for your hard work. It will be appreciated by many others,

Thanks, Stephen. Much appreciated.

Ian

Hi Steve

Excellent work have looked at the two diaries, many thanks for what would have been some painstaking work

Regards

Mike

I have put an updated version of the 1/5th Bn diary on my site here - http://www.prescot-rollofhonour.info/Documents/SLR_1-5Bn_WarDiaryV4.pdf

For some reason, the earlier version did not have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and parts of the 4th May 1915.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I wondered if anyone can help me find out a little more about my Grandfather. RSM Harry Clarke of the South Lancs No. 34633. I have stories he fought in Gallipoli alongside the Gurkhas. I've been searching more evidence without much luck. There are stories of Gurkhas bringing back ears of Turkish Soldiers as gifts for him after a night raid. I assume he must have been with the 6th Battalion...... but how come we don't see any deaths of soldiers with numbers up around the 30,000 (or over 34633) until a long time after the Dardanelles and well into 1917 ? Did he arrive to the Battalion at a much later date ? Any help would be appreciated. I have his old Gold Watch presented to him in Constantinople by his ' Old Pals '. I believe he left the Regiment in 1920. Find attached Photo of him (Nobby) 2nd from left with From Left: Sgt Tommy Kelland, RSM Harry Clarke South Lancs, Chiefy Hardman RNCVPO, RQMS Davey Davidson RASC, SSM Billy Brown RASC. Title: Army Corps HQ Constantinople - Army of the Black Sea 1918.

- Ged Clarke

post-127567-0-58290300-1458740833_thumb.

Hi Graeme

Thank you so much for looking for me...... I wouldn't know where to start.

I just called my father to ask if my Grandfather's name was Henry ?

He said he was always known as Harry and that was also on a document I have with his South Lancs No. 34633

He had three sons - Harry Henry, Terrence Matthew (my Father and Gerrard Stephen, so I think it is very possible they are one and the same Henry Clarke.

He lived in Stockport, so it seems strange he joined the KSLI...... I wonder why not the Cheshires or Manchesters ??

I suppose this makes sense regarding his time in Mesopotamia. I am now about to try and find out about his time in the KSLI..... although I didn't see which Battalion.

Where did you see that he was in the 6th KSLI ?

Thanks again for your time.

Ged Clarke

Morning Jed,

It comes from the Medal ROLL (NOT the index card I gave you the link for). The cards are free to view but the rolls are not.

He transferred after being drafted overseas.

May I suggest you stare a new thread in 'Soldiers'.

Someone else may have some information for you but will not look at this thread as it is not about him,

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks for all you help Graeme.

I thought I had started a new link, but see it was not...... will get used to this soon.

Thanks again.

Ged

Hi Graeme

I've tried to find where I can start a new thread in Soldiers...... is that in The Long Long Trail ?
I can't find anywhere to start a new thread...... any help would be appreciated.

Do you know or can help direct me into finding out when he transferred and why ?
Thanks again

Ged

Hi Ged,

Several options why he transferred. Sometimes, when a man was wounded, when he recovered he went where he was needed. Also, needs must, ie he goes where he is needed.

If you look at the top of the web page

click Forums

go down to 'SOLDIERS'

Click that and on the right hand side is a black box marked 'Start new Thread'

Click that and a new page opens. Put your mans name in the title and in the bigger box put your question including as much as you know ie regimental numbers, dates etc.

Regards,

Graeme