Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Ref 51b. N. 12. D. 4. 7

Peter Bennett

I am looking for a copy of a map which shows where the above reference is, I believe it to be in the Monchy-Le-Preux area

51b. N. 12. D. 4. 7

Thank you

Peter

Thank you Sepoy

It matches the place where the regiment was engaging the enemy

Peter

Marked with the flag Peter.

post-28845-0-85542500-1405535070_thumb.j

Thanks to Linesman

Jim

If you enter it as 51b.N.12.D.4.7 into the brilliant Great War British Trench Map Coordinates Converter

it says " The centroid of grid location 51b.N.12.D.4.7 is at 50.2616, 2.8860. "

Enter 50.2616, 2.8860. (minus last full stop) ie 50.2616, 2.8860 into google earth and see attached

Mike

Mike

Thank you for posting this - it is something I had not come across before.

Cheers

Sepoy

Sorry to jump in on this thread

I have entered map ref 57c.T.13.d.7 ( From CWGC reburial report ) and get centroid NaN NaN

Assistance would be greatly appreciated

I think you are missing a number?

57c.T.13.d.7.? or 57c.T.13.d.?.7

Mike

Edit It's somewhere in the village of Ginchy, but you will need the other number to pinpoint it?

Thank you The Y&L war diary records him killed by shellfire on 20 Nov 1916 while working on a light railway between Ginchy and Les Boeufs and buried at T14co5 (?)

The reference in post 9 is from the CWGC concentration document on exhumation before reburial at Guards Cemetery Les Boeufs ref 57c.T.3.d.2.2 in Aug 1919.

There are 9 cemeteries listed on CWGC from where bodies were moved to Guards Cemetery Les Boeufs . I have visited this cemetery but knowing where his initial burial was would be interesting for a future visit.

Thanks again Skipman

Ellis 1918,

Who was he?

I am sure there was another thread, in the last couple of weeks, regarding the Ginchy cemeteries and some-one posted a map of the preconcentration cemeteries in the area. That's if he was originally buried in one of them.

From the co-ordinates that you have for the original burial at 57c.T.14.c. 0.5, it looks like he was buried on the East side of Ginchy, close to the Rue de Morval.

The second set, 57c.T.13.d.(7.x) or (x.7) would be somewhere on the West side, I think

Phil

He was L Cpl Arthur Ellis 11852 D Co 7th Battn York & Lancs . Buried at Guards Cemetery Lesboeufs .

Thanks

The map I mentioned above is here.

I've had a look at the CWGC documents myself and think that you will need some luck to get closer than you have. I tried checking for reports on adjoining rows at Guards Cemetery, but there is a leap from "L" to "R", presumably because there are no identified graves in them. Unless someone knows otherwise, it is a shame that these documents didn't get uploaded as well.

It does strike me as odd though that he was moved twice.

Phil

Thanks for taking the time to look back for this earlier thread

Peter

Have a look here

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101464756

If I am correct (but it has been one of those days!) I think the position is just below the La Bergere cross roads on the Cambrai Road.

Hope this helps, but if not this is a wonderful site!

Sepoy

Sepoy,

Hope you don't mind but I'm trying to get the hang of map coordinates. When I put the above coordinates (51b. N. 12. D. 4. 7) into Google Maps I landed near Valenciennes, quite some way from Monchy-le-Preux - 50km or so.

1. What am I doing wrong?

2. How did you find the NLS map so quickly? I can't see anything to insert coordinates on their site..

Thanks,

Mike

Not sure what you're doing wrong Mike, but if you enter those coordinates exactly as 51b.N.12.D.4.7 into the Converter, it is near Monchy-le-Preux

Mike

Not sure what you're doing wrong Mike, but if you enter those coordinates exactly as 51b.N.12.D.4.7 into the Converter, it is near Monchy-le-Preux

Mike

I think it must be the heat.

Got it.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Phil Evans - Thanks for link to map in your post #14.

What area would each of the larger squares , numbered 14 ,15 etc , cover ?

Thanks