Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Covenant With Death

Dawson

Just a heads up on the release of A Covenant With Death by John Harris, a book that's been out of print for too long.

The only fiction written about the war that's worth reading in my humble opinion.

A new foreword by the author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

Regards,

Ian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0751557129/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_65yVtb0ZZW0C8#immersive_view?1405428649791

Just a heads up on the release of A Covenant With Death by John Harris, a book that's been out of print for too long.

The only fiction written about the war that's worth reading in my humble opinion.

Hmmmm ... not sure how many would agree with your sentiment there, but Covenant with Death is a damn fine book, well-overdue reprinting.

"We have made a covenant with death, and with Hell we are at agreement"

Motto of the Army Catering Corps, I seem to think . . . . .

• 2 months later...

The reissue is now available in paperback and Kindle format. Louis de Bernieres' introduction to the new edition does include some serious confusions about when the French mutinies, and the British deployment to Italy were, but his heart is in the right place, and he is very complimentary about Harris and the book.

Stuff where his heart is - why do these 'famous author' numpties get thes jobs. Enough is known about the author, the book and the formation the story was based on to get a proper expert to do the job

Conceded, but I expect the publisher thought 'author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin' was more of a selling point with the public at large than, say, 'author of Forgotten Victory'.

Going through my bookshelves t'other day, looking for ten bob notes I may have used as bookmarks, and came across Harris's "The Court Martial of Lord Lucan".

What we might call alternative history, nowadays, with all the negative baggage that implies, but it's a clever and informative book.

Saving the white fivers for later are we?

I confess to having never heard of the book to which you refer. I must track down a copy. Thanks for the, as we say, heads up.

White fivers!

In 1955 my father said that I needed "an interview suit".

He handed me a Bradbury, with lots of previous owners' names and addresses scribbled on the back. "And I want the change!"

One natty gents wool dark blue two-piece, pinstripe, and 10/- change.

I passed the interview, which launched me into a 41 year career.

White fivers!

Conceded, but I expect the publisher thought 'author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin' was more of a selling point with the public at large than, say, 'author of Forgotten Victory'.

It would not cost too much for someone to check it through first who did know his/her stuff, surely.

How true. The mandolineer is a 'name' - one which I would personally avoid. I only see that thin grim cagey actor from the film when I think the author's work.

Nigel as I am sure you know only too well fact checking costs publishers time and more particularly money. The fact is that the 'sponsored' introducer is paid for. That said introduction never ever made me buy a book. Its simply a vanity to get a 'name' to write it and a few books for the name's name so to speak - even if it was Richard Holmes who, God Bless him, made something of a secondary career of it.

• 1 month later...

Returning to the original subject of the thread "Covenant with Death' was chosen by historian Andrew Roberts on the latest edition of Radio 4's ' A Good Read'. There was quite a good discussion about it between Roberts, the other guest, erudite Irish historian Roy Foster and presenter Harriet Gilbert.