The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching any information on Private R.J.G. Vaughan, KSLI 5th Battalio

suelangdon

Searching for any information on my husband's Grandad,

Private Richard John George Vaughan.

King's Shropshire Light Infantry, 5th Battalion, Reg No 15012.

All we know as that he was killed on 30th August 1916 in France & Flanders,

His name is on the Thiepval Memorial.

Any more information would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hello Sue

Richard arrived in France 22.5.1915 probably with the 5th Bn

The Battalion War Diary will tell you the Battalion movements and should describe the action in which he was KIA, but will most likely not mention him by name.

WO 95/1902/1

No Service record appears to exist, although his Medal Index Card is available to view here or here but it won't give you anymore info than you already have

You can view it, probably for free, at your local library if they have an Ancestry subscription

Entitled to the 1915 Star, BWM and VM

Name:

Richard John George Vaughan

Birth Place:

Hope-in-worthing, Salop.

Residence:

Minsterley

Death Date:

30 Aug 1916

Death Place:

France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:

Shrewsbury

Private

Regiment:

Shropshire Light Infantry

Battalion:

5th Battalion

Regimental Number:

Type of Casualty:

Killed in action

Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

Hello,

The 5th KSLI were part of the 14th Division and during August 1916 were taking part in the Battle of Delville Wood.

The 14th Division made a succesful attack on 29th but the Germans counterattacked the British lines on 30th August 1916 and your husbands grandfather may have fallen during this fight.

The battalion and brigade war diaries will have more info on the events around this date available from the National Archive website. I know the diary for the 5KSLI has a muster roll listing all members and their companies during late 1915. I am unable to check for you man at the moment but I will have a look when I am back at my computer.

http://www.1914-1918.net/14div.htm

The above link will give you a bit more info on the 14th Division. On landing they went to Ypres where they remained for the rest of 1915 and were active in the Railway Wood and Bellewaarde area. If you visit the McMaster University trench map website you can view contemporary maps of the area as well as for Longueval and Delville Wood.

Hope thats of some use and interest,

Gareth

Hi Sue,

All units of the 14th Division had a muster roll taken in mid December 1915 on instruction of Vic Couper, the Divisional Commander.

Your man shows as "D" Company.

5th KSLI diary for the 30th August 1916 reads as follows:-

Battalion in Delville Wood trenches. Germans shelled Delville Wood very heavily from 2pm to 5pm. Casualties 8 killed, 32 wounded, 14 missing.

The 42nd Brigade diary adds rained all last night and today, country became a sea of mud. The brigade less 5/KSLI and 9/RB was relieved by 72nd Brigade and moved back to billets in Dernacourt. 5/KSLI and 9/RB were relieved by 72nd Brigade in front lines.

Andy

Brigade casualty figures for August 1916

post-1871-0-02981400-1405519260_thumb.jp

Name: Richard John George Vaughan Birth Place: Hope-in-worthing, Salop. Residence: Minsterley Death Date: 30 Aug 1916 Death Place: France and Flanders Enlistment Place: Shrewsbury Rank: Private Regiment: Shropshire Light Infantry Battalion: 5th Battalion Regimental Number: 15012 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Should be Hope-in-Worthen, meaning that Hope is, or was, in the parish of Worthen; Hope is about 3 miles south-west of Minsterley. There's no Vaughan on Minsterley memorial or in the church but the memorial tablet at Asterley, a hamlet near Minsterley. has a Cuthbert Vaughan.

Hello,

The 5th KSLI were part of the 14th Division and during August 1916 were taking part in the Battle of Delville Wood.

The 14th Division made a succesful attack on 29th but the Germans counterattacked the British lines on 30th August 1916 and your husbands grandfather may have fallen during this fight.

The battalion and brigade war diaries will have more info on the events around this date available from the National Archive website. I know the diary for the 5KSLI has a muster roll listing all members and their companies during late 1915. I am unable to check for you man at the moment but I will have a look when I am back at my computer.

http://www.1914-1918.net/14div.htm

The above link will give you a bit more info on the 14th Division. On landing they went to Ypres where they remained for the rest of 1915 and were active in the Railway Wood and Bellewaarde area. If you visit the McMaster University trench map website you can view contemporary maps of the area as well as for Longueval and Delville Wood.

Hope thats of some use and interest,

Gareth

Thanks very much for your help, I have the Medal card and I have downloaded the diaries, can I look for the muster roll anywhere?

Sue

Hi Sue,

All units of the 14th Division had a muster roll taken in mid December 1915 on instruction of Vic Couper, the Divisional Commander.

Your man shows as "D" Company.

5th KSLI diary for the 30th August 1916 reads as follows:-

Battalion in Delville Wood trenches. Germans shelled Delville Wood very heavily from 2pm to 5pm. Casualties 8 killed, 32 wounded, 14 missing.

The 42nd Brigade diary adds rained all last night and today, country became a sea of mud. The brigade less 5/KSLI and 9/RB was relieved by 72nd Brigade and moved back to billets in Dernacourt. 5/KSLI and 9/RB were relieved by 72nd Brigade in front lines.

Andy

Many thanks for your help.

Sue

Should be Hope-in-Worthen, meaning that Hope is, or was, in the parish of Worthen; Hope is about 3 miles south-west of Minsterley. There's no Vaughan on Minsterley memorial or in the church but the memorial tablet at Asterley, a hamlet near Minsterley. has a Cuthbert Vaughan.

We have found an R. Vaughan on the Memorial at Worthen, but he was RJG Vaughan so not sure if it is the right one, do you know if they keep the Reg. No anywhere? He actually lived in Minsterley before he went to war. Thanks. Sue

Hi Sue,

If you have downloaded the 5th KSLI diary, the muster roll appears in December's diary.

Andy