Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stephen Bertrand Penfold 241746

penfold

My grandfather, Stephen Bertrand Penfold served with the 2/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment and was in France from 21 May 1916 until 21 July 1916. He was wounded during that time and was discharged on 26 March 1917.

He died in 1959 and I can remember as a boy that his right wrist was somewhat misshapen.

Any information surrounding this would be appreciated.

I am assuming that he was wounded on the 19th July with action by the RWR.

Is there any information available on those wounded in this action but surviving?

Why was there such a long period of time from leaving France to final discharge?

Best regards

Trevor Penfold

Hello trevor

No mic on Ancestry as far as i can see, apart from his SWB card. How did you get your dates, 21 May 1916-21 July 1916.

I can see he was discharged 26 March 1917 from his SWB entry on Ancestry.

The only date you haven't mentioned is his enlistment 20.3.1912 from his SWB entry, which makes him a territorial soldier.

The SWB entry mentions the 6th RWR not the 2/6th.

War Diaries for both

WO 95/2755/2

WO 95/3056/2

hello Peter

Thank you for this information.

Details are on the attached.

Best regards

Sorry Peter the file was too large.

Here is my entry for him on 'Lives of the First World War'

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3467049

the image 'Particulars of service', is from his paper work that I have. On this it identifies his service in France and that he was in the 2/6th RWR.

It looks like he had two service numbers. There is also some other references in red ink and I am not sure what they mean.

Why would there have been such a long period of time from his return from France to his discharge?

Thank you again for your help

Best regards

Trevor

Two numbers because the British Army was renumbered in March 1917, so just before he was discharged.

His number 5520 would be the one he received in 1912.

"Why would there have been such a long period of time from his return from France to his discharge?". Recovery from wounds.

It could be said that the red writing refers to his renumbering, but the date, if that's what it is, under the line, is after his discharge

post-28237-0-16182700-1405367224_thumb.p

Thank you Peter,

The paper cutting about the rifle range indicates that he was in the Royal Sussex Regiment. When would it have been likely that he transferred to the RWR?

I assume that any other documentation on him would have his service number as 5520 as that is what he would have used for the best part of his service career.

Thank you Peter,

The paper cutting about the rifle range indicates that he was in the Royal Sussex Regiment. When would it have been likely that he transferred to the RWR?

Difficult to say for certain without anymore supporting evidence.

The date, from your records, 21 May 1916 more or less confirms he landed in France with the 2/6th RWR

The 4th RSR landed at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, on 9 August 1915.

Stephen, as a Territorial Soldier, may have opted not to serve abroad and remained in this country, then later was

conscripted under the Military Service Act 1916 to the RWR which then went to France.

I may have this wrong, but someone will hopefully correct it if i have.

Thank you Peter,

On the photograph of him with his wife he has crossed flags on his left cuff. What does not represent please?

Thank you Peter,

I thought it might have been, I was a radio op in the Navy.

Would there be any records around of the Signallers in the 2/6th RWR and also those wounded, but not killed, on the 19th July? Where would he have likely been sent in the UK for hospitalisation?

Thank you very much foe all of your help

Would there be any records around of the Signallers in the 2/6th RWR and also those wounded, but not killed, on the 19th July?

Possibly, only in the War Diary I gave you the link to earlier.

Where would he have likely been sent in the UK for hospitalisation?

His Service Record may have mentioned where he went, but as this doesn't exist the only possibility is the local press at the time of his wounding. Your local library may

hold copies of local newspapers on microfilm.

Peter ex., A.B.(M) 1977-85

Thanks Peter for all of your help.

Also interested to see that you were in the 'Mob'