Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest bakedano

Guest bakedano

Can anyone help me?

My great grandfather was a merchant seaman. One of his voyages around the world (as a trimmer) was on board british line ship BALTIC (White Star Line), between Liverpool and New York, on 2-13 August, 1917, a route declared Danger Zone (between 31st January-21st November 1917).

Considering "the (british) Mercantile Marine Medal was awarded to seamen for sea service of not less than six months between 4 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, and who served at sea on at least one voyage through a danger zone(Zone A)" (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/), I want to know if he was entitled to the British WW1 Mercantile Marine Medal?. He doesn't appear on the records.

thanks,

post-112255-0-53421100-1405312379_thumb.

This is the link to the search page at the National Archives for the index cards for the Mercantile Marine and British War Medal to merchant seamen.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/merchant-seamen-medals-ww1.htm

You say he does not appear in records. Have you checked this one?

Edit

P.S. Giving his name might possibly help. He may have an entry in the National Roll of the Great War, for instance.

Guest bakedano

Thanks you guys. My great grandfather was Manuel Andreani, born in Santiago, Chile, in 1896. When he was 12 year old he became a merchant seaman. Radicated in New York between 1912-1924, he travelled around the world in british, american, and french line ships during the war. He doesn´t appear in any records, i will be happy just knowing if he was entitled to the Mercantile Marine Medal. What do you guys think?

regards,

The clue may be in the medal name The (British) Mercantile Marine Medal. Was he a British national? How much of his sea service was in British registered and flagged ships ? The line is not necessarily synonymous with this.

And what does radicated mean? Resident? If so I fear that he might have been regarded as either American (USA) or possibly still Chilean

Perhaps it was necessary for merchant seamen to apply to claim the medal, and he never did?

I'm fairly sure a White Star Line ship would be British registered.

Ron

Perhaps it was necessary for merchant seamen to apply to claim the medal, and he never did?

Ron

On which we know he was for 11 days but where was the rest of his sea service? Did the 6 months have to be on British flagged ships? And did you have to be British to qualify?

Ron

Don't be too sure Ismay bought the house flag from the moribund White Star Line but the ships were owned and operated by the Oceanic Steam Navigation Co Ltd and ownership changed several times until a new White Star Line was formed in 1927. In the interim Whitre Star was more of a trade mark

In fact during WW1 they were owned by an American holding company International Mercantile Marine Co originally controlled by J P Morgan but in 1916 had to be rescued from liquidation proceedings

I'm not sure whether a seaman had to apply or if lists were sent in by owners (shipping lines).

I do know of one man who did apply.