Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another interpretation please?

steve fuller

Hi all

Have a Jospeh Hacks MIC but havent seen this myself before & wondered if anyone could shed a bitto' light please?

In Medal column at bottom, hand written in - 'S.W.B hot K/441/2'. Is this a Silver War Badge? And is the ref the archive ref for it? And whats the 'hot' bit?

Under remarks has 'D..d 15-5-15' but cant make the abbreviation out at all.

He was in 5th Beds in Gallipoli initially No 2645, and 15th August was their 1st charge (Kiretch Tepe Ridge / Kidney Hill), so that all makes sense BUT cant see it being 'Died' as he has a 5 digit number below it and listed as 'Bedford reserves 32136' (under the 'Corps' columns).

Oh, and whats the difference between 5 and 6 digit numbers; Were they 5 originally when transferred but became 6 in March 1917 when the number system changed around?

Steve :blink:

D...d probably disembodied from TF force due to wounding, sickness ,age or other inabilty and transferred to reserve, labour corp or whatever.

Steve,

D..d is probably discharged and the 5 in 15 may be a 6,8 or 9 ?

Believe K is the standard SWB roll prefix for the Bedfords. It will convert to a WO329 number, giving access to the SWB roll entry.You need to get to National Archives for that.

If Hack didn't get a 6 digit territorial number then it suggests he was wounded/sick and was transferred to a regular or service battalion before 1917, although he may not have seen action (although a number of the 5th did transfer and saw action in France -witness Herbert K)

Regards

David

Hangleton; god question but definitely says 'hot' Im afraid, the h and t are clearly distinguishable. It actually looks like theres no gap and reads 'S.W.Bhot K/441/2'. Guess Ill be going to the PRO then?!

Drake; thanks mate! Is there any general / accepted time frame to look within between a wound being recieved and discharges being granted?

Ah!! just seen my mistake guys, sorry! Funny how the brain sees what it wants to isnt it? 15th MAY, not August, and it may well be 1918, not 1915 which would make more sense. Duh! Sorry, more haste less speed makes Steve less of a plonker...

Hi David;

For your info / database this is Pt 2645 later 32136, my Gt Grans (Herberts wife - Ellen Hack) little brother, born Lanes End H&R 1893, shon as Joe Hack on 1901 census, lived within 30 yards of Herb Kendall, signed up with him and shown in the LBO RoH 17/11/14 (under H&R men). Would imagine they got to know each other pretty well before & during the war! Ended up running a pub in Woburn if I understand my Gt Auntie correctly (to be confirmed). Will have to start a trek on this guy methinks; another soul who did the Bedford rounds. Wonder if he ended up in the 7th too, OR ...?

You said about the 5 digit number and prob being transferred etc. So that could make him the young Royal Fusilier in the other pic I was given then? I was leaning towards it being James Hack, but gonna have to get to his Rolls really arent I?

Finally moved to MK and had a lovely look around Lanes End and St leonards churchyard week ago. Friendly people up Lanes End too, considering this tall stranger was wandering around taking pics of the church and thatched cottages! Got to see the spot Herb and his littluns stood on, so that was really nice. Think the vicars gonna get a polite call at some stage too! Oh and the pic of Herb' is 1916, after being wounded in Gallipoli after all that; took a while but I got there!!

I WILL get round to posting Herb's info for your (and Rasters) databases too i promise - been madly busy and just got back on line yesterday (at home). Prob do it under soldiers?

Cheers all :D

Steve, difficult to put a time frame on discharge/disembodiment related to wounding or other as it would depend upon the nature of the cause. I may be possible that he was in hospital a considerable time either overseas or in UK and then no doubt would go before a board etc. So sorry, no advice possible that would be meaningful.

Steve, difficult to put a time frame on discharge/disembodiment related to wounding or other as it would depend upon the nature of the cause. I may be possible that he was in hospital a considerable time either overseas or in UK and then no doubt would go before a board etc. So sorry, no advice possible that would be meaningful.

Understood mate, but many thanks anyway. Naturally Im thinking ahead to what action to look at for him :rolleyes: ! Operation Michael is the fave in my mind, but assumptions have slowed me down before!!

Cheers

Steve :D

The SWB remark usually says "list": could "hot" possibly be "list", Steve?

Thanks Chris; I can see it as 'list' now. Going goggle eyed lookin at 90 year old scrawl methinks :blink: