Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. Hunt

Cliff. Hobson

The above man is listed on our Village War Memorial, Whitwell Derbyshire I have checked the 241 names on the C.W.G.C. site but have been unable to identify him, also the obituaries in the local paper but without success. Can any one please suggest any other means. Details are required fo a Memorial Book.

Thanks, Cliff. Hobson.

Cliff.

I could only find 4 "A.Hunt"s listed on SDGW with Derbyshire connections. These are:

15436 Pte.Arthur Hunt 12/Notts and Derby R., DOW 21/6/16, Born Cotmanhay/Enlisted Derby/Resided Ilkeston.

46847 A/Cpl.Albert Hunt RGA, KIA 23/9/18. Born Whittington Moore/Enlisted Nottingham/ res.Kirkby in Ashfield.

35516 Pte.Arnold Butler Hunt, 1/Notts and Derby R., KIA 15/7/16. Born Heanor/enlisted Ilkeston/Res Heanor.

23038 Pte.Alfred James Hunt, 9/Notts and Derby R.,DOW 15/10/15. Born Abergavenny,Monmouthshire/Enlisted Mansfield,Notts/ Resided Swanwick.

Another place you could possibly look is on the Absent voters list for the local area (if you can find it!)

Dave.

Croonaert,

Thankyou for the information and suggestion, the last named maybe a possibility, a number of men from Mansfield, which is only a short distance away worked at the local Colliery. It is also possible it may be the wrong initial, I knew one man whose name was on the Memorial when it should have been his Brother's.

Regards Cliff. Hobson.

Cliff

Try the St Catherines Index of Births, Deaths & Marriages, you should find a copy in your local library. This is useful if your man survived the war, was discharged from the army but died later and wasn't registered as a war death with the CWGC.

Another useful source is the 1901 census. You can confirm whether somebody of that name and of the right age was living in the district.

It's also useful to remember that many of the entries on memorials were inaccurate. Wrong initials, incorrect spellings and sometimes completely the wrong name. In fact it can be a bit of a lottery as I'm sure you've found out.

Regards

Rob