Remembered Today:

Railway Regiment, RE

aden10

Hello,

Whilst visiting a military event yesterday I came across a display of medals with the following written on a card. CQMS T. Johnson Railway Regiment SAS CMG Train Brands F.B.RF.S. Can anybody please explain the meaning of this.

Regards

Andy

Hello,

I wish I had noted these, I will go back today hoping the chap still has his display up.

Regards

Andy

Apologies the chap who had the medals was not at the event today. I wonder if the attached photo is the same person? CQMS Johnson?

post-93287-0-32412100-1405258705_thumb.j

The Royal engineers had railway troops organised as Railway Companies (over 50 in total) both construction companies and operating companies (construction built them and operating ran the trains) these were also divided into light (narrow gauge) and standard (sometimes referred to as broad) . The CEF also had railway men organised into Battalions of Railway Troops which performed the same functions in the same manner. Very often when you see a reference to Railway Troops it turns out to be about Canadians Railway Regiment does not appear to be part of the normal usage.