Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Rifle Farm, Near Hellfire Corner, and The Gunners' War

Chris Best

Gents

Any idea where Rifle Farm is and what types of units used it?

I'm accompanying a group who have specifically asked to go there in order to discuss ammunition columns and keeping the guns re-supplied. They believe it's close to Hellfire Corner at Ypres.

If you know it, is it safe to stop and debus at?

Cheers

Chris

No, I think it is the third choise Skipman.

If you Google RF you are shown the Railway line that used to be there. Also, it makes sense to have some form of ammo re-supply in that area.

Had a good look through my books but couldn't find any definite answers on this one. More of a gut feeling, then.

Here is the one at Hellfire Corner. 28.I.11.c.0.5 are the co-ords I used as I took it off the map.

post-20576-0-48719800-1405188992_thumb.j

I can't see a Rifle Farm at 28.I.16.b. The only place of note in that sub-square on the June 1917 map that I am using, is Gordon House.

I haven't looked at the Rifle Farm at Wytschaete yet.

Phil

Brilliant, many thanks, Gents.

Skipman and Phil Evans, I think you're probably right, the Rifle Farm you've identified is close to the road which was a railway cutting during the GW.

Sapper D, you too are right,the clue being in the name. It's not so far from Skipman's suggestion; it might be possible for me to have a quick look over the site.

Whatever, I very much appreciate the steer. Thanks, too, for the intro to McMaster, Mike - first time I've seen this resource and look forward to regular visits to the site.

If anyone has any stories/WD extracts/sketch plans for Rifle Farm, that would just round off a great response.

Cheers.

Chris

Chris,

Is this any help?

From a February 1918 Admin map courtesy of WFA Mapping the Front - Ypres.

Phil

post-20576-0-46872700-1405247775_thumb.j

Check out Huntly Gordon's book "The Unreturning Army, A field gunner in Flanders 1917-1918".

He had his baptism of fire at Hell Fire Corner and can consider himself to be very lucky to survive that lot!

Rifle Farm is clearly visible on the map on page 70 of the book, exactly where Phil Evans has pin-pointed it on his map above.

Gordon's Battery (A/112 Brigade Royal Field Artillery) fought there in September 1917, during the 3rd Battle of Ypres. And died there, for most.....

BTW, a most excelllent book and read. Highly recommended!

Park your vehicle at the pub next to the Birr X-roads. Visit the CWGC cemetary there, have a pint/cuppa , X the road and walk past the (former) sight of Rifle House. On the right of the track, uphill

Walk up the hill to the RE Grave & Liverpool Scottish memorials (v. impressive) and have a little think and look at the lay of the land (slightly uphill for the allies..).

One of my most impressive places in the Salient.

One of my most impressive places in the Salient.

And mine too. This is the view of Rifle Farm from the corner of Railway Wood looking back down the line of the railway (now the road with the traffic) to Hellfire Corner taken three weeks ago. I think Rifle Farm was where the long farm building with the white skylights on the roof is to the left of shot. Ypres on the centre right skyline.

Pete

post-101238-0-61795600-1405290306_thumb.

Lovely phototgraph!

Certainly gives you an idea how hard it must have been to take this slightly higher ground.

I find the entire area in between RE Grave and Hill 60 the most interesting section of the Salient, personally.