Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

terrysutton

Hello everyone.

I have recently started doing research into my great uncles. William Arthur Russell G/11893 7th bn of Royal Sussex reg and his brother Robert Russell 22889 8th bn Norfolk Regiment. I have found out that Williams name is on a plaque in Chichester cathedral but i have not actually seen a photo, however i have seen a name Rousell W. Can anyone confirm that a W. Russell is on the plaque and is spelt correctly. I would greatly appreciate confirmation. Also if anyone can give me any information or advice on web sites or forums etc etc or point me in the right direction for researching my uncles this would be of great help to me. Many thanks. Andy Manning. Downham Market, Norfolk.

Hello Andy

The best way to get information about your great uncles would be to start a new thread, including their names and regiments in the title.

When you say there is a plaque in Chichester Cathedral, do you mean the wooden panels that record all the names of the Royal Sussex that died during WW1?

I live very close to Chichester, I can get you a photo of his name on the panels. I might even have a photo of William's grave in France. I need to check an external hardrive. I have been to Monchy Le Preux a few times to visit a local lad from the 7th batt.

Mandy

Hello Mandy. Thank you so much for the advice on the threads. I'm not sure what the names are on. Yes the wooden panels sound correct to me. If you are passing the cathedral and could pop in and photograph the name that would be fantastic, thank you. My mum and dad went to williams grave in 1993 and did take photos but the actual photo is not very good quality and not readable. I do plan to take a two or three day trip over to france next year. Thank you for replying to my thread and thanks again for helping. This is much appreciated on the begining of my research journey. Andy.

Hi Terry not wishing to hijack your thread to much for Andy.

Andy this link will take you 7th Batt War Diary

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/learning_resources/great_war_west_sussex_1914-18/the_royal_sussex_regiment/battalion_war_diaries.aspx

And buy a copy of The History of the 7th Service Battalion the Royal Sussex Regiment by Owen Rutter available on Amazon or eBay. This is the 7th Batt War Diary in book form, with your great uncle in the list of the 7th's war dead at the back.

I will get the photo next week.

Mandy

Edited by mandy hall

Mandy, just had a read on the sussex diaries. Thank you for the link. Putting the book you mentioned on my christmas list. Many thanks again . Andy.

Terry. Apologies for my thread on your threads. This is all new to me and once ive conquered this web site, i will put on a new thread. Andy

• 3 weeks later...

As noted in my post of August 3rd above, Walter Padfield's enlistment would have been recorded on September 2nd 1914, almost certainly on the Isle of Wight. 72 men were enlisted into the Isle of Wight Rifles on that day, including a handful of others from the Chichester area (named above).

This can be demonstrated by reference to the surviving service papers of 1746 Rifleman George Lockhart, and the Silver War Badge record of 1752 Rifleman Sydney Pink, the nearest either side to Padfield for whom definitive sources have been found, both of whom are stated to have enlisted on September 2nd 1914.

Walter Padfield's four figure number can be deduced from the following service numbers, recorded on medal rolls:

1748 Rfm. C.E. Phillips was issued with new number 330411 (and was killed at Gaza, 19th April 1917).

Walter Padfield had number 330412.

1750 Rfm. A.E. Masser transferred to 163 Company, Machine Gun Corps, when it was formed on 1st May 1916. He was then given number 50261; he would not have had a '330' number.

1751 Rfm. A. Price was issued with new number 330413.

The details given by T8Hants would be correct for 1/8th Battalion, but Walter Padfield's service during this period would have been with their 'second line' battalion, 2/8th Hampshires. This battalion was based with 1/8th at Sandown barracks until 1/8th left for Bury St. Edmunds in April 1915. Shortly afterwards the Royal Warwickshires vacated their camp at Nunwell Park, near Brading I.W., and this became the home of 2/8th Battalion (and 3/8th during its brief period of existence) until it was broken up in August 1916.

At some point during 1916 Walter Padfield would have joined one of the reinforcement drafts 2/8th sent to the 1st Battalion, by then in Egypt. All the drafts I have seen evidence for embarked in Southampton.

Walter Padfield did not receive a 1914-15 Star, which would rule him out of overseas service with 1/8th Battalion.

Bart

Thank you Bartimeus for this clear and comprehensive explanation of the events and numbering system during my grandfather's service. This makes the picture clearer for us. I'll pass it on to the rest of the family. Regards Terry

• 3 weeks later...

I've been unable to locate a copy of the new history of the Isle of Wight Rifles "At the Trail" by G Sprack.

I am overseas and would like to purchase a copy. How can I go about it?

Terry