Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

203214 Frank Passmore 1st/5th Bn South Staffs

Guest Jimboswing

Guest Jimboswing

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this request but I am hoping that someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I am trying to find any info on my Great great uncle Drummer 203214 Frank Passmore 1st/5th Bn South Staffs who was killed on 8/6/1917 In France.

I have found out that his Battalion was in the same brigade as Mrs Wain's relative who served in the 1st/5th Bn North Staffs, so I was hoping that someone may have any info in which engagement Drummer Passmore was killed or any other info about his death.

Many thank

Jim Swingler

Jim

Totally the wrong place to post as this thread is about the 5th NORTH Staffordshire Regiment.

This said I can tell you he served in "C" Company, and was killed whilst his battalion was holding trenches in the Lieven area near Lens in a raid on Nash Alley

Casualties for the day are recorded as 9 other ranks killed, 2 officers and 5 other ranks wounded.

The War Diary records,

“7 June 1917 - Quiet day in support. “C” and “D” Companies busy training in Bully Grenay. Heavy enemy shelling over this area and 6th Division (on our left) during the night.

Relieved 1/6th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment in the trenches during the night, taking 3 days rations. Wire in front of Novel Alley was cut during the night, and trench cleared from blowing in previous night.

8 June 1917 - Very quiet day. At 7pm “C” and “D” Companies took up positions in assembly trenches and at 8.30pm went over.”

Regards,

Graeme