Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Uniform

MrG

I wonder if someone could confirm or otherwise if this chap, who I believe is Cpl Frederic Thomas Hall of the RNAS/RAF, is wearing the uniform of the RNAS or early RAF?

Thanks

post-39488-0-40162000-1405015236_thumb.j

From what I recall, the RNAS was much liker RN.

I can't make out the cap badge, but RNAS would use naval rank badges, not corporal's chevrons. The RND used naval rank on one sleeve and army equivalent on the other.

The cap badge looks to me the wrong shape for RNAS; but if it is, I wonder if he's wearing a kind of mixed uniform soon after the creation of the RAF in 1918.

He was promoted corporal June 1918 if that helps

Can/ have you looked him up in the RAF 1918 Muster Roll?

Corporal was not an RNAS rating but was the RAF equivalent of leading aircraftman RNAS (or a non-technical leading rating). Corporal Mechanic was the RAF equivalent of a technical leading rating. I think the suggestion of an early mix of RNAS/RAF uniforms may be close to the truth. The cap badge does look like RNAS.

Possibly this man:- http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6836659

Edited by horatio2

He was promoted corporal June 1918 if that helps

Bits of previous service uniform were around much later than that. There were also, let's say, erratic interpretations of the new service regulations made by local tailors in distant stations.

I have both his RNAS and RAF records but it was the odd looking uniform that puzzled me. I like the sound of the "mix and match" approach though....and he did spent the whole war posted in Pulham in Norfolk! :-)

Either way its a great photo isn't it!?

If you can track it down somewhere there are two Osprey books about the uniforms of RNAS/RFC/RAF in WW1. The first volume has quite a few pictures of men in hybrid and early interpretation of regulation RAF uniforms.

• 1 month later...

Very nice photograph indeed.

He is wearing a Royal Air Force uniform, oftern known as the second type introduced in October 1918. It conforms perfectly to the regulations at that time, it's not any form of hybrid or mixed uniform.

Yes he is wearing one of two early patterns of RAF uniform issued in 1918. This type was distinguished by the absence of shoulder straps and the self cloth waist belt fastened by a single (often leather) button. Chest pockets were pointed and lower pockets had a larger than usual flap with no button fastening. The skirts were in general longer and more akin to an officers type jacket. The cap badge was cloth and early RAF type comprising an Imperial crown above an eagle in flight, each in red on dark blue.

I agree RAF.

From Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in World War 1 by Stephen Chambers. Page 254 There is a photo of this type of uniform.

The RAF pattern jacket with buttoned cloth belt was officially called ‘Jacket Khaki Pattern 1918 Version 2’ and it remained working dress until about 1923. The cap is Khaki RAF with black band to which is attached an embroidered RAF badge of an ‘Eagle in Flight’.

Regards

Peter

Excellent stuff!...so rather than being a bit of a rag bag in uniform terms he is a really smartly turned out chap! :-)

..and I still love the photo.

Just to close the story he was an ex-policemen, six feet two inches tall! He served and survived and died in 1974, surviving his wife by some 38 years