Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JSAfrika

I am pleased to announce the imminent publication of a new book on Botha's campaign in German Southwest Africa. The link is here:

http://www.helion.co.uk/published-by-helion/new-and-forthcoming-titles/the-horns-of-the-beast-the-swakop-river-campaign-and-world-war-i-in-south-west-africa-1914-15.html

I hope anyone who is interested will find it useful!

Best

James

James

I have just ordered it off Amazon, which is saying that it is not published yet, but will be by the end of the month

James: only just seen this. Consider it ordered!

Well Done James!

I now await your next piece of research.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Well done author.

I am ordering through Kalahari.com.

There is so little on GSWA and this will be great. What has been written is not very clear so I am sure this will be a great help to those of us looking at this area.

Kathie

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. It's small, but I think it adds to the ducussion.

It may even start some arguments.

Harry, I'm now off to either Togo/Cameroon or the Battle of Mahiwa. On verra.

James

Good Luck James.

If it is Mahiwa then there is a decent little hotel in Lindi.

It would be useful if you could identify and photograph the prominent features such as Tandamuti Hill.

harry

Harry

Thanks for the tip. West Africa may be a bit too hot right now. I left Monrovia almost 3 years ago and don't want to go back to that area until they get things under control.

James

remebering my fascinating trip to Namibia a few years back, I've just ordered this

cheers Martin B

Also many thanks for the tip,have also ordered through Amazon and eagerly await receipt of what willl hopefully enlarge our knowledge of this under-reported campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

Current state with Amazon, it does not seem to be published yet

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on July 13 2014

James Stejskal "The Horns Of The Beast. The Swakop River Campaign And World War I In South-West Africa 1914-15"

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

Unfortunately Amazon sometimes gives the impression that it can supply a book even though it has not yet made an agreement with the publisher to do so.

In the past I have waited months for a book through Amazon before I realised that it wasn't going to be available except from the publisher or author.

Harry

I am as cynical of Amazon as you are Harry.

When I got the message from Amazon, I went to the publisher's web site and that said "Not yet published. Pre-order now", so there was no point in me changing supplier :(

Greetings All,

In this case, it isn't Amazon. There were a couple of last minute editing issues (the author's fault mostly) and the books are shipping to the vendors now. Both Helion and Casemate should have them shortly, and Amazon and the others soon.

It's a small contribution to the scholarship on the subject, I hope you enjoy it!

I would also appreciate any comments or critical reviews, both good and bad. I will endeavor to integrate those points in my next work.

VR
James

• 2 months later...

I 've just read this, found it interesting, with good maps and lots of photographs, with clear descriptions of the actions in the campaign. I was greatly disappointed however at the price I was asked to pay, a total of £18.21 including postage to a UK address for a paperback book with some 120 pages of text, and I benefited from the pre-publication offer. I also had to phone Helion to remind them the book had been ordered when I hadn't received it. So thumbs up for the work, thumbs down for the publisher.

Cheers Martin B