Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

units arriving in France 25/11/1914?

roytoner

hi all, researching a man whose medal card states he got to the theatre of war on the above date. I know from the local paper that he was a pre war regular but am trying to make an educated guess as to what his unit was. He got frostbite in December and was sent home, was later transferred to the 1st Bn.Border Regiment and died at Gallipoli in July 1915, unfortunately I can find no mention anywhere of who he was with in the first place. He was from the Oldham area so the Manchester Regiment would be the most likely but the date doesnt fit.

Hi,

Are you sure he didn't go as a reinforcement to 2nd Border in November 1914?

Medal roll will provide the definitive answer.

He may be mentioned in the nominal roll in Ralph May's Border Regiment at Gallipoli book.

Steve Y

cheers Steve. I was thinking that if he was a pre war Border he would either have been on the way back from Burma with the 1st Bn. or already on the Western Front with the 2nd Bn. His medal card just says Border Regiment but I've a lot of men from the war memorial who were in two different regiments and the medal card often only mentions the one he was killed with. The Oldham Chronicle states that he was in the pre war Army.His Border Reg. service number was 10757

Hi,

I don't think inter regimental transfers of trained soldiers were the norm in late 1914 due to the available number of recalled reservists and Special Reservists.

I'm on my iPhone so can't post any links but if you look on ancestry for Border Regiment soldiers with a similar number you will get an idea of an eistmemt date. Similarly look up on Paul Nixons helpful site. 9211 joined Border late 1906.

Ralph May's book is Glory is No Compensation - it will be available as an inter library loan.

Regards

Steve Y

ah, yes - suppose it would be a little bit strange to transfer at that point in time. Perhaps he had joined the Army earlier in 1914 and had not yet been posted to a battalion, finished his training - went off to join the 2nd, later transferred to 1st. Will have a dabble with those service numbers later

The Oldham Chronicle states that he was in the pre war Army.His Border Reg. service number was 10757

He hadn't enlisted too long before the war based on that number so he probably wasn't in another regiment (unless he'd already served a period of enlistment).

10528 joined on 6th March 1913

10800 joined on 25th June 1914

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/border-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

This gave him 5 or 6 months training before being sent abroad.

Generally, pre-war, a soldier was based at home with the home battalion for the first year or so and then sent abroad for service but this went out the window once war came along.

Craig

that's great! Thank you very much Steve & Craig. So Steve, guess you were right and he was on his way to the 2nd Bn. in November 1914