Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Half a headstone

BereniceUK

If a CWGC headstone which needs to be replaced has a personal inscription from the family, is the original inscription reproduced on the replacement? And in a case like this one in Nelson Cemetery, where it looks as though the headstone broke and only the top half remains, if there was an inscription at the base would the CWGC have kept a record of it?

DSC06436.jpg

DSC06437.jpg

I still haven't had a response from them re. a headstone error I emailed them about several weeks ago and I've found another two CWGC database and headstone errors since then plus this one.

I have never had to contact them but would a telephone call get a quicker response?

I doubt it as in the past they've always requested a photo of what I'm reporting, should it involve a headstone. I realise that this year they're rushed off their feet so I'll contact them about this eventually as they get caught up.

As I said, I have never had cause to contact them. Do you know if they use local agents to keep check on things? I ask because I have found two of their headstones in a chapel yard. They seem to be the only two still in situ. They are in good condition but I am not sure if CWGC or relatives look after them.

I think all CWGC headstones are all the same height. I think it may be 2'6''

Hi Bernice,

Just remembering a similar headstone in one of my local cemetery's of Whitehaven, it was just like the one that you have taken and it was broken in half and the workers in the cemetery planted the top half of the headstone into the ground until CWGC replaced it with a new one.

So in my thoughts this could be the same instance.

Regards Michael.