Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these my Great Uncles M.I.C and S.W.B roll?

Dragoon

Hello,

I've attached my Great Uncle James Edwards Death certificate.

I've found on ancestry a MIC and a SWB roll that I think are his, also a part of a document I found on find my past which has his name and number on it.

The SWB roll is the spanner in the works as the SWB roll number matches from the MIC but his Army number and unit do not, also he died in Egypt?

A quick note, the age on the death cert is not right, he was bon in 1881 so he was 37not 39, the SWB roll says 37. also the SWB roll says he was discharged 2 days after his death?? did they discharge Soldiers that had Died?

I hope someone can help, thank you

post-106238-0-15347500-1404911024_thumb.

Sorry, cannot put SWB roll on forum, it says file to big! its on ancestry under James Edwards 476488 royal engineers, and the find my past doc is under 49755 James Edwards 24 sig coy RE

Hope someone can help thank you

It can't be the correct man on the SWB roll. The date of enlistment for that James Edwards is 25.10.15 and your man's medal index card says he entered France on 30 August 1915

The SWB entry on the MIC should not be there and it would suggest a clerical error

Thank you for your replies.

Do you think this is his MIC though? also, the PNR, should it not be SPR, or is that a Signals Coy RE thing?

I cannot put that part of document from Find my past because again it says its too big.

If you go under 'military' and type in James Edwards then on the Army number bit put in 49755 its the only record on there. Is this him as well.

Thanks again for your time

Pioneer was the Royal Engineers' unskilled rank; Sapper was the skilled rank. It is not specifically to do with RE signals, but was used by the whole Corps of Royal Engineers.

The document on Findmypast says that Pnr 49755 was serving with 24 Signal Company RE and was sick with inflammation of the connective tissue of the knee. On its own that does not tell you that it is, or is not, your great uncle.

His death certificate says James Edwards was serving with the South Palestine Lines of Communication Signal Company RE. That is a different unit to 24 Signal Company RE. It may be that he left the latter due to his knee and was posted out to Palestine at a later date, but the various bits of evidence are not enough to tell.

The SWB roll matches the page number given by the medal index card but as said above, it appears to be a mistake that it was entered on the card. It clearly refers to a different man. There is a medal index card for this soldier, under his number 476488 (he had earlier been numbered 3617).

The Regimental numbers on the Death Cert and the MIC match so yes I would say they are for the same man.

Brilliant, thank you so much for all of your help :thumbsup: