Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM trawler Grenadier

wightspirit

I am trying to establish the identify of the commanding officer of the trawler Grenadier, part of the Auxiliary Patrol Force, during February 1917. I have seen her log for the period in question but there are no names or signatures recorded. The Grenadier was not a war loss so finding out who crewed her isn't so easy.

The Grenadier was the first vessel on the scene following the sinking of the troopship Mendi and the report of the unnamed commanding officer makes for some matter of fact but pretty grim reading.

Does anyone have any ideas please - and a photo of the Grenadier would be brilliant too.

Dave W

The Navy List for November 1917 (Corrected to 18th October 1917)

Grenadier

Chief Skipper RNR Edwin Barlow 5th July 1917.

Skipper RNR Alexander Campbell. 8th July 1917.

GRENADA GY323 was re-named GRENADIER when requisitioned in October 1914. Admiralty No. 714.

Bob

According to Bob's post #2 both skippers were appointed to GRENADIER in July 1917, six moths after the sinking of MENDI. Earlier Navy List (Feb/May 1917) required.

Dave W. Not quite what you asked for but find here award of DSC to Skipper Barlow ;

BARLOW Edwin 78WSA Chief Skipper RNR 84Q073 H.M.T. Grenadier

Senior Naval Officer Newhaven 17.04.18 Gazetted

Minesweeping Operations 01.04.17 - 31.12.17 DSC

During his service as Leader of Trawler Minesweepers, has shown a keen and intelligent knowledge of his duties, and has carried out the clearing of minefields with much ability. A most efficient and reliable officer.

Sadsac

Thanks to you all for your replies and help. Edwin Barlow looks promising so will see what I can turn up on my next visit to TNA.

Dave W

The June 1917 Navy List (eff date 18 May 1917) shows that the skipper of GRENADIER from 19 Jan 1917 was Skipper William ALLAN RNR (1646.SA). By 18 Jun 1917 he was skipper of the trawler BORNEO and was killed when she was mined off the south coast on that date.

Horatio 2 that's excellent, thank you - seems the right man is William Allan. During my enquiries into these men I've found references to Chief Skipper as well as Skipper, RNR. Is it likely men of both ranks served on board at the same time?

Dave W

Not impossible, with the Chief Skipper taking command of a group of trawlers (eg for minesweeping) while the Skipper commanded the trawler from which the chief Skipper exercised command. However, two skippers in one small boat could make life a bit difficult and I should not think it was a common or popular arrangement.