Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Percival Walsh, 8th Loyal North Lancashire Regt

helpjpl

Remembered today: 2nd Lieutenant Percival Walsh, 8th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. DOW 8 July 1916. Buried Puchevillers British Cemetery.

Percival Walsh was born in Oxfordshire on 4th December 1895 - the only son of Percival Walsh and Agnes, nee Fowle. Educated at Blundell's School, in June 1914 he got a high mathematical scholarship at Trinity College and was a student there for two terms before joining the army in the Loyal North Lancashires.

He was wounded during the night of 7th/8th July 1916 and died, aged 20, at the 44th Casualty Clearing Station.

His commanding officer wrote: "Previous to his being wounded on the night of the 7th-8th July, he had been twice recommended for the Military Cross for gallantry and devotion to duty. He got his wounds, one in each leg, while with his Company holding the front line trench of a portion of the German position which had been captured by our troops on the 1st July. The stretcher bearers managed to get him safely away but with great difficulty owing to the shallow nature of the trench and the close proximity of the Germans. I did not see him myself after he was wounded, but I was told that his wounds were not very serious but that he was suffering from shock. The wounds were caused by shrapnel which must have burst very near him."

Remembered with honour - Blundell's School; Chalfont St Peter War Memorial; Trinity College, Cambridge.

• 4 years later...

Percival Walsh was the last male of a long line of Percival Walshs (back until at least the 1790's) who were solicitors in Oxford and had a county home in Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire.  

Edited by HJordan