The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Silver wound badge forum

topdeer

I have been researching a soldier from the Hertfordshire Yeomanry. His name was private George Knowles 1754 born in 1874 in Grade, Cornwall. I have found his services records and medal card on Ancestry his medal card shows he was award the silver wound badge but I can not found the one that matches his services number can any one help me found the right silver wound badge forum for him thank you.

I don't think his medal index card does show he was awarded the SWB. It is annotated "special decision" and then in different writing "refused"

Thanks for that what does the S W B mean next to the word special decision? If he was not award the silver wound badge

Regards

Andrew

And it's Siiver War Badge not Wound - it was given to those discharged from military service due to ill health which could involve sickness or injury due to accident as well as a wound. One had to have completed 90 days service to be eligible. This excluded men who joined up but failed to achieve the required level of fitness by the end of their basic training and were discharged and those who concealed some medical problem when enlisting but were found out shortly afterwards. I have a feeling that discharge due to a SIW also could disqualify one. The rules for eligibility were altered several times but not everyone would be eligible so it means that he applied for one but was turned down.

HIs pension records on Ancestry show he was discharged in 1916 (having been demobilised and sent home from Egypt nearly a year before) under Para 392 subsection xxv of KRs which is "his services no longer being required" and was only usually used when no other subsection was appropriate. It indicates his discharge was not due to wounds or illness, but the pension record isn't very forthcoming about exactly why he was discharged.

Sometimes used when:

• The soldier was hopelessly incompetent (two left feet etc)
  • Had a lousy disciplinary record (but no single offence bad enough to get him dismissed)
  • Was deemed to be a bad moral influence on his fellow soldiers
  • Couldn't take the local conditions ( he was in his 40s and Egypt was pretty hot) Most of the Yeomanry in Egypt in 1916 were used for infantry duties - perhaps he couldn't manage to keep up on marches.
  • Any combination of these

Not new to WW1 - I've come across a man sent home from South Africa in 1902