Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TF Schools of Instruction in the UK

ddycher

All

Whilst doing some background reading on Southern Command this weekend I came across a number of re's to TF Schools of Instruction that I was not aware of previously. Digging in a little deeper I found ref's to two School of Instruction for Officers of the TF; one in London and another at Chelsea Barracks and a further ten Schools of Instruction aligned with individual divisions. I am particularly interested in No.8 School of Instruction (Wessex Div.) at Exeter.

Anybody know anything about these schools ?

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave

These were schools for officers of the RAMC TF. No.8 was located in Lennards Buildings, Goldsmith Street, Exeter in August 1914

Ron

Brilliant !

Thanks Ron

Best Regards

Dave

From mid-November 1914 each Territorial brigade established a school of instruction for its young officers.

Charles M

Thanks Charles

Any idea how I find out more about these schools ?

Regards

Dave

Dave

Basically, each school ran a six weeks' course for 25 officersw at a time. Details can be found in Army Order 174/14 and Appendix XII to Army

Orders of 1914.

Charles M

Thanks Charles

Will try to find a copy.

Regards

Dave

• 3 months later...

My late father in law attended a course at Chelsea Barracks in June 1915, which he referred to in several of his letters from Gallipoli in 1915. He was in 2/7 Royal Scots, but in October 1915 went with 1/7 Royal Scots to Gallipoli, which I am currently preparing an article aboutpost-111130-0-73248800-1413817459_thumb.. I attach an image which I took at TNA earlier this year - but very shamefully and shoddily I can't put my hand on the reference which shows which document this was from - I was researching something else at the time. I thought you might be interested, though.

Barbara