Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Bn Duke of Wellington’s Enlistment Date via Service Number

Gunner R.A.

2nd/6th Bn Duke of Wellingtons Enlistment Date via Service Number

I have several soldiers who had enlisted in the Duke of Wellingtons (West RidingRegt) and who were killed whilst serving with the 2nd/6th Bn. Their details below include possible 4 figure numbers which I am 99% sure belong to the first three men and I have included H B Forrest and his attestation date which will hopefully help with the other numbers.

Could anyone please give me a precise enlistment date for them, or at least narrow it down?

J Kaye, 266224 KIA 3/5/17 (Possible 4 fig number, 3512)

T Dobson, 266355, KIA 27/11/17 (Possible 4 fig number, 3721)

H Storey, 266736 KIA 3/5/17 (Possible 4 fig number 4384)

H B Forrest, 267045, KIA 3/5/17 (Attested 15/12/15 and Mobilized 7/3/16, according to service record)

C H Beevers, 267173, KIA 3/5/17

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete.

Hiya,

Well, I have taken a look, but don't get too excited!

I have looked at all their MIC's which, in every case, only give the post 1917 6 digit numbers. But that would imply that they all had their new numbers when they landed in France. As the Btn landed in January of 1917, and I think the renumbering took place later in the year (March ish?), my assumption is that they were all reinforcements who arrived later. That however may very well be a seriously flawed assumption but their are (of course) no entry dates on their MIC's that late in the war.

Interestingly, I did find a Harry Dobson numbered 266354 - his MIC also only has the 6 digit number. He did however get a SWB and the roll for them gives his date of enlistment as 26/12/1914. I did wonder if he was related to your Tom Dobson (266355), but now I am not so sure. I am afraid I have no idea how the new numbers were issued to the Btn, but it looks as though it was not so simple as a man adding XXXXXX to his existing number. I suppose they may just have renumbered from a new block of numbers in alphabetical order. That would explain why the 2 Dobsons have consecutive numbers.

Where did your "possible" 4 digit numbers come from?

One of my wife's ancestors was with 1st/5th and then 1st/4th, landing in France on 11/10/1917. He however had a 5 digit number bearing no relation to your 2/6 Terriers. He was wounded with 1st/4th and actually finished up with 9th Btn. That however is a completely different story!

I hope you found something of value in my ramblings.

Regards,

Mike

Any info from Cravens Part in Great War? Some of lads are in original nominal

Ady

Cheers Mike and your reply is interesting. The reason i put up posts regarding service numbers for enlistment dates is that there are one or two people on the forum who are very good with the numbers, something i am not!. However i am not always lucky enough to get a positive reply and that might be due to the amount of work involved in sorting them out, again i'm not sure,

cheers,

Pete.

Any info from Cravens Part in Great War? Some of lads are in original nominal

Ady

Yes Ady there are possible entries for all five on the nominal roll of the 2/6th but nothing else that i can see,

cheers,

Pete.

• Admin

FWIW

TF Enlistments 2/6 and /6

2369 /6 07/08/1914

2951 /6 29/09/14 Discharged 27/03/1916

3018 2/6 03/10/1914

3110 /6 28/09/1914 Keighley

3855 2/6 18/1/1915 Discharged 27/04/1915

4665 2/6 23/09/1915

Henry Bowling Forrest attested 10/12/15 and appears to have been a Derby Scheme rather than a TF enlistment as he was not mobilised until 07/03/1916

268350 was also probably a Derby Scheme enlistment 05/12/1915,posted to the 2/6 and to France 05/02/1917

268228 enlisted for General Service 16/10/1916 posted 2/6 to France 05/02/1917

The war diary is available from TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7355402

which might shed some light

It seems that to bring the Bn up to strength to go overseas a number of G/S men were drafted in unfortunately some of theses had four digit numbers which makes it a bit confusing. They were renumbered along with the rest of the Bn in 1917. I guess it's possible they were renumbered before going overseas or while at the IBD in France. Unfortunately these are pension records so not complete as to date of renumbering.

Ken

Hello Ken, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated and your post interesting,

regards,

Pete.

• Admin

Interestingly, I did find a Harry Dobson numbered 266354 - his MIC also only has the 6 digit number. He did however get a SWB and the roll for them gives his date of enlistment as 26/12/1914. I did wonder if he was related to your Tom Dobson (266355), but now I am not so sure. I am afraid I have no idea how the new numbers were issued to the Btn, but it looks as though it was not so simple as a man adding XXXXXX to his existing number. I suppose they may just have renumbered from a new block of numbers in alphabetical order. That would explain why the 2 Dobsons have consecutive numbers.

It is my understanding that it was normal for the 6-digit numbers to be given in the order of when the men originally enlisted into the Bn. So the longest-serving current member at the time of re-numbering would be given the lowest 6-digit number from the block of numbers allocated to that Bn. If that were indeed the case here for the WRR, then it would suggest Harry and Tom Dobson enlisted on a similar date (possibly the same day) and hence may well be related.

Russ

Cheers Russ, that had crossed my mind,thought they might be brothers however Tom was the only son, however he could have been a cousin.