Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Louis Pocklington. L/Cpl 17456 West Yorkshire Regt. KIA Gallipoli.

midshipmanrayley

Louis Pocklington 1886-1915, 9th Batt. West Yorkshire Regt. Killed in action 9th August 1915 at Gallipoli.

Discovered Louis amongst my ancestors and never knew he was a Gallipoli casualty.

Can any member please suggest a good publication about the West Yorks Regt's role in the Gallipoli campaign or alternatively any information regarding Louis.

9th (Service) Battalion

Formed at York on 25 August 1914 as part of K1 and came under orders of 32nd Brigade, 11th (Northern) Division.

3 July 1915 ; sailed from Liverpool for Gallipoli via Mudros and landed at Suvla Bay 6 August 1915.

1 July 1916 : landed at Marseilles.

Thanks again Peter. Will pop into local library tomorrow.

On the button as ever johnboy. Many thanks.

Sadly it looks like he was killed within 3 days of landing. If there is a war diary available it should shed some more light.

Will try requesting war diary on appropriate forum. Might get lucky.

Embarkation took place at Liverpool from 30 June, with much of the Division sailing on the Aquitania and Empress of Britain. Mudros was reached by Divisional HQ and 32nd Brigade on 10 July. On 6-7 August 1915 the Division landed near Lala Baba at Suvla Bay.

Thanks Peter and johnboy. Found Louis also had an in-law in West Yorks.

Wilfrid Pocklington 1881-1949 was Louis' brother. Forename found as Wilford, Wilfred and Wilfrid. 8th Hussars corporal 46233. Appears to have been Boer War veteran besides serving in the Militia and Yorkshire Artillery.

George Edwin Joy 1883-1954 was brother-in-law to Louis Pocklington and also a "Goolie" from Goole. Served in KOYLI as private 202505, battalion unknown.

Today confirmed another Gallipoli casualty amongst my ancestors. Herbert George Hacon 1898-1915, aged just 17, served in 1st/5th Batt. Norfolk Regt. as private TF/2576. KIA 12th August 1915 at Suvla Bay.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jopocklington

Hi, Louis Pocklington was my Great Uncle and Wilfred my Great Grandfather. I was googling Louis's name the other night and was delighted to see your note. I have not got any photos of Louis but have a few of Wilfred. Wilfred got blown up and was very badly injured I think he was taken from a prisoner of war camp to a hospital in Switzerland. His wife Clara went to visit him out there. He survived and returned home but was apparently never the same. I have also found out louis is remembered on a monument at Galipoli. I look foward to hearing from you.

Hi Jo, delighted you made contact. Only thinking of Louis today as it will be the anniversary of his death on Saturday. I intend to place another note on this forum to mark it.

Wilfred sounds terribly affected by the war, my grandfather whose picture you see alongside this message was also badly injured by mustard gas and was bedridden until his early death aged just 45.

Through this forum and my postings I am now in contact with several distant cousins. It was wonderful to hear from you and I would love to see a photo of Wilfred. Do you have one of him in uniform? Best wishes and regards, John