Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Officers

Adam Prime

Hi All,

I know a lot of the members of this forum will have filled out their family trees and I was wondering if you could help. As part of my PhD research into the Indian Army Officer Corps I am looking into the origins of the officers, essentially asking if the Indian Army appealed to certain types of people.

I've already taken a few example from previous threads on this forum but if you have an ancestors who served as officers in the Indian Army I would love to hear from you. The First World War is of great importance to me and my research but my thesis is not exclusive to the Great War and includes the period 1861-1945.

The main things I am looking for are:

Name -

Date of Birth -

Place of Birth-

Fathers Occupation-

Date of Commission-

Highest rank achieved-

Education (eg Sandhurst, Wellington)-

Obviously another information you have would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Please clarify your request as there are different types of officers, the ones I have in my tree enlisted in the British Army, were posted to India, joined the "Unattached List", joined the Indian Army on reaching Warrant Officer. They could then be given honorary commissions within their corps.

The unattached list was a way for soldiers to transfer to the Indian Army for presumably better pay and conditions, they were employed in such duties as Supply & Transport, Engineers etc.

Are you interested in these officers?

Please clarify your request as there are different types of officers, the ones I have in my tree enlisted in the British Army, were posted to India, joined the "Unattached List", joined the Indian Army on reaching Warrant Officer. They could then be given honorary commissions within their corps.

The unattached list was a way for soldiers to transfer to the Indian Army for presumably better pay and conditions, they were employed in such duties as Supply & Transport, Engineers etc.

Are you interested in these officers?

There was many different routes into the Indian Army as an officer, and transferring from the British Army was a popular method for, as you say, better conditions and pay.

So yes I would be interested in these officers.

All officers of the Indian Army were initially commissioned and placed on the unattached list until they were given a posting.

If you have not already, I would advise checking the Sandhurst/Woolwich cadet registers which, as as far as I remember, identify the origin of cadets [place of birth .. schools - together with census records to fill in gaps ...... ... and maybe family background - a useful indicator of those indian-born]. I remember the 1911 census records for Woolwich include several Indian-born cadets.. a history of Osborne House RN cadet college also includes some insights into their recruiting pool [although I suspect not systematically explored] .. for comparison..

if you are interested in gunners and engineers some 1911 cadets at RMA Woolwich which indicates place of birth, from census return

ELLIOTT, FREDERICK EDEN SINGLE 19 ADEN

ENGLISH, JOSEPH SINGLE 18 GIBNALTER

EULER, WILLIAM EDWARD SINGLE 19 CALCUTTA INDIA

FARDELL, DENYS OLDFIELD SINGLE 19 FLEET HANTS

FENWICH, CHARLES DUNDAS ALLENDEN SINGLE 18 MALTA

MULLEN, DOUGLAS RONALD FFRENCH SINGLE 18 UDAIPUR INDIA

FIELD, FREDERICK SINGLE 18 ACTON LONDON

FITZMAURICE, MAURICE ALEXANDER SINGLE 18 MYSORE INDIA

FITZ ROY, CHARLES ALFRED EUSTON SINGLE 18 EUSTON

SUFFOLK FLINT, ROBERT BRADFORD SINGLE 19 BLACKHEATH KENT

FLUKE, ARTHUR SINGLE 19 RAJPUTANA INDIA

FOLJAMBE, ROBERT FRANCIS SINGLE 18 SOUTHWED NOTTINGHAM

FORMELLI, GEOFFREY SINGLE 19 BRISTOL GLOUCESTER

FOSTER, HENRY WILLIAM BERKSLEY SINGLE 18 WIMBORNE DORSET

TYLER, PATRICK SETON FRASER SINGLE 18 EDINBURGH N B

FREET, NIGEL WILLIAM WYNN SINGLE 18 AUDHAM KENT

FRENCH, RICHARD JAMES ROLLESTON SINGLE 19 BERMUDA

FULCHER, BERNARD VINCENT SINGLE 19 GREAT YARMOUTH NORFOLK

GAUSSEN, BRIAN SINGLE 19 CANADA NOVA SCOTTIA

GILPIN, WILLIAM JOHN SINGLE 19 PUNJANT INDIA

GLYNN, RUPERT TREVOR WALLACE SINGLE 18 QUETTA INDIA

GOLDNEY, LAINECELOT PRITZLEN SINGLE 19 CLONMEL TIPPERARY

I believe that to obtain a commission in an Indian Army unit a cadet had to be in the top percentiles when passing out at either Sandhurst or Woolwhich.

However the right connections with a particular corps may have been an influence.

I don't think place of birth really helps because a son born in India could be to an Officer in a British regiment serving there or born in the UK to an Indian Army Officer while he and wife were on Furlough in UK.

bill

During the war as the Indian regiments took casualties (and expanded), there was a shortage of officers. This was filled by giving commissions to men who had connections to India (birth and early education, work), some of whom were serving in the British Army, some of whom were serving in the Indian Defence Force. Many of these were Indian Army Reserve of Officers commissions. Most left by 1922, but a few continued to serve with permanent Indian Commissions.

Michael

Adam,

This chap was from a very ordinary background in South London but was commissioned during the war and transferred to the Indian Army https://www.flickr.com/photos/11226331@N05/sets/72157632248150623

• 5 weeks later...

Adam,

Good luck with the Phd but I have to say there is no shortcut to doing your own research. I have privately done something similar with regular Indian Army cavalry officers for the period 1920-1941. It's a been a long slog but worth it.

What I recommend is getting hold of copies of the leading Public schools published school registers (Wellington being one of them) and go through reading all the entries.

You will soon cull quite a few names for your research. Due to the social pressures of the day, a large majority of the European officers of the British & Indian armies were ex-public school boys.

Also note that typically British officers of the Indian Army were known for not being financially well off - it was, just about, possible for an officer of the IA to live off his pay while serving in India, where as any officer in a British regiment required a private income, except perhaps in wartime.

You then need access to a decent run of the Indian Army List - best place for this is the British Library in London. This will give you the service details you require.

The London Gazette, which is on line and free, will help too.

Using the Sandhurst registers is also a very good source but for the amount of data you need you will have to see if they can do a bulk price. Remember though not all officers attended Sandhurst - getting a commission via the "back door" of the Militia or later Supplementary Reserve of Officers did occur.

Access to 'The Times' of London online searchable database will pay off too. Some counties in the UK have paid up so you can access for free online through the library system.

What will be tricky to research will be those Indians who were commissioned into the Indian Army from 1919 onwards. Until I think 1932 they went through Sandhurst then the Indian Military Academy at Dehra Dun was used.

That's what I would call a start.

In broad terms the social class of the officers of the Indian Army against the British Army was lower, but to enter the Indian Army it was more demanding. A lot less titled types in the IA.

Here is an example of what can be generated:

Dodame Chikka Basapa B. 28/4/19. Edu ? & I.M.A. 3rd Cavy. 2/Lt 4/7/39 (was 3/4/40). Lt 3/10/41, A/Capt ? - 2/2/42. T/Capt 3/2/42, W.S. Capt 15/6/45, A/Maj 15/3/45 - 14/6/45. Capt 1/7/46. T/Major 15/6/45. Major 4/7/52. Appointed IA 30/4/41. Attached 3 Cavy in July 1940 IAL, with 3rd Cavalry April 1945 IAL. Served with 16th Light Cavalry as a Captain at somepoint between Jan 1945 & Oct 1946. MID LG 19/9/46 as T/Maj, [iC 309] IAC for Burma. As a Lt-Col Commanded 3rd Cavalry Mar 48 - Dec 48 including during Operation Polo. Retired Lt-Col. Died 8/1/1993 [iC 309]

Stewart Harold Ivan Edward Richard Charles B. 7/10/20 in Marylebone, London, son of Col H. S. Stewart. Edu - Harrow & Sandhurst. ULIA 31/12/39, IA 27/6/40, Lt 30/6/41, W.S. Capt 18/7/44, A/Maj ? - 17/7/44, T/Maj 18/7/44 - 24/7/44, Capt 1/7/46 . King's India Cadet? Retired Capt (hon. Maj.) 12/12/48. Won MC 1945 (LG 24/5/45) with Probyn's Horse (Burma) commanding "B" squadron Married 26 April 1958 - Major Boris Mylne was the best man [iA 1174]

I hope that helps.

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...

i am researching Polo players killed in the Great War, and by nature some of these were linked to the Indian Army I can compile a list if of interest

Adam

Greetings

Be aware that top officer cadets in both Australia and Canada could opt for service in the Indian Army.

The Australians liked the cavalry and the Canadians liked the infantry.

There has been correspondence on this in Durbar, the journal of the Indian Military History Society, ( http://imhs.org.uk/ ), which I urge you to join - it is cheap enough and Durbar comes out four times per year.

Harry

i am researching Polo players killed in the Great War, and by nature some of these were linked to the Indian Army I can compile a list if of interest

Yes it would be of interest. I would be much obliged to you if you could compile a list as another aspect of my thesis is sports played by these officers whilst in India.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

A sport I had not previously heard about in India may be seen in a photo called “Sand-yachting in the Sind desert”

(although it was in a photo album connected with T E Lawrence in the RAF {c late 1920s})

http://www.telstudies.org/discussion/service_years/karachi_photos.shtml or

http://www.telstudies.org/discussion/images/sind%20desert.jpg

Cheers

Maureen

• 2 months later...

If you're still pursuing this subject, my great-grandad, originally from Beauly, Scotland, transferred to the unattached list from the Royal Artillery in 1913, joined the Supply&Transport corps, did the Mesopotamia campaign, then settled in India where he rose through the ranks (in the Indian Army Service Corps) to become a captain before retiring for ill health in 1937. His children were all born there (Quetta, mostly, and Jhansi). I have his medals, his diary, and quite a bit of info about his career. As he enlisted as a boy, his serviced stretched from 1904 to 1937.

Edited by Griffner

• 1 year later...

Dear battiscombe,

I was very pleased to see the list of 1911 RMA Woolwich Cadets, headed by Frederick Eden ELLIOT (not Elliott).

He was the son of a retired Major, grandson of a Judge (ICS), and his maternal grandfather was headmaster of a public school. Freddie himself (whose brothers were variously in the IP, Gurkhas, etc.) had attended Christ's Hospital School before passing in to RMA Woolwich. He had to leave before passing out, because his father could not afford the fees. However, F. E. Elliot was commissioned into the RGA (Special Reserve), 1913. He was one of the last to secure a regular commission in the Royal Regiment of Artillery, in pre-August 1914.

2Lt Elliot served at Ypres with a Siege Battery, RGA (he was mentioned in the Battery War Diary: the entry reads like a citation for gallantry) in 1915-16. His father, recalled as 2iC King's Liverpool Regt was killed by a shell, near the Menin Gate. In 1917, T/Capt. Elliot volunteered for the RFC and (after brief training at Brooklands, and reverting to Lieut.), joined 15 Sqn RFC, flying the obsolete Be2c as an Observer. He was wounded in the thigh by ground fire over Bullecourt in May 1917. Following convalescence, he reverted to the RGA and was promoted Capt. Post-Great War he became a Mountain Gunner in India (Waziristan 1921-24), an Adviser, Kashmir State Artillery, and SSO, Gilgit. He married the daughter of an artist who had designed parts of Winchester Cathedral. 1933: Major and Commandant, 10th (Abbottabad) Mountain Battery, at Maymyo. In 1939, Elliot was promoted Lt-Col and commanded a Mountain Regt., but was replaced by a younger officer and called upon to retire in 1941. He became a King's Messenger in 1944, and later a Queen's Messenger. In retirement he lived with his wife (there were no children) in Fulham, near the Hurlingham Club, of which he was a member. He died at the age of 78...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi All,

I know a lot of the members of this forum will have filled out their family trees and I was wondering if you could help. As part of my PhD research into the Indian Army Officer Corps I am looking into the origins of the officers, essentially asking if the Indian Army appealed to certain types of people.

I've already taken a few example from previous threads on this forum but if you have an ancestors who served as officers in the Indian Army I would love to hear from you. The First World War is of great importance to me and my research but my thesis is not exclusive to the Great War and includes the period 1861-1945.

The main things I am looking for are:

Name -

Date of Birth -

Place of Birth-

Fathers Occupation-

Date of Commission-

Highest rank achieved-

Education (eg Sandhurst, Wellington)-

Obviously another information you have would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Adam

I am rather late to this thread, however in the very remote chance you have not already pursued these, the following might be rich sources:

1. Bond of Sacrifice Vols I and II - they have over 200 named Indian Army Officers and I think at least 100 will have full obituaries (possibly more). It is easier to get biographical data on those that died.

2. Haileybury School. Historically it had strong links with India having been set up by the East India Company. If you have not already done so I would suggest contacting them as a high proportion of their schoolboys would have ended up in the Indian Army.

3. Other Public schools. As you now many have researched their alumni and will probably have good databases. I would start with Anthony Seldon at Winchester (co-author of Public Schools in the Great War: The Generation Lost) and the appendix. It would appear that most (all?) of the public schools had decent records given the detail in the appendices. Anthony Seldon might be able to save you time by pointing you to the richest sources and I am told he is very accommodating.

4. Universities, particularly Oxbridge. Their publications on who served are quite detailed and name regiments. Some are searchable documents.

5. Sloane Street Church (memsahib thinks it is Sidney Street)... I may be wrong but if memory serves the Church on Sloane Street off the King's Rd in London became the memorial church for the Indian Army after 1947. Also the church in Redcliffe Square, London. A very long shot. MG

Apologies if you have already pursued these lines ...

I would be fascinated to see the results of your research. I have a small database of IA Officers who were on furlough in the UK at the outbreak of the war who were held back in the UK and diverted to the New Army battalions. Names only, not detail but at least a start.....many died in 1915 and their biographies might be easier to gather. ....but then I guess you already have the Army List. . MG

See my post in October 2015 on one of our family members Robert Blake Harward, with the helpful replies of Matthew B of this forum:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232620&hl=

I have more information on his army career from 1910 up to the 2nd World War

Lt. Col. Robert Blake Harward O.B.E., born 12 April 1890 Aldershot, Hampshire, died May 1969, Tiverton Devon, he was the son of Major Henry Blake Harward of the 6th Warwickshire Regiment, born 15 July 1844 Plymtree, Devon, died 23 Mar 1902, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and his wife Ellen Janet Pearpoint, born 1861, Kensington, London, died March 1935, Hexham, Northumberland.

As far as I know his

Military Service is as follows:

1. India -Cadet to 2nd Lt (on unattached list for Indian Army) 29 Jan 1910 - Source London Gazette dated 28 Jan 1910 page 698

2. 31 March 1911 Became as 2nd Lt a Double Company Officer in the 86th Carnatic Infantry - Source London Gazette dated 18 July 1911 - page 5356.

3. 29 April 1912 - Promoted from 2nd Lt to Lt in the 86th Carnatic Infantry - London Gazette Info dated 18 June 1912

4. 1 September 1915 - India - Lt. to be Temporary Captain in the 73rd Carnatic Infantry - Source London Gazette 28 July 1916 page 7500.

5. 16 Nov 1916 - India - Temporary Captain R B Harward of the 73rd Carnatic Infantry to be acting Captain while commanding a company, Then from 18th December 1916 to Acting Major while second in command of a Battalion - Source London Gazette gated 1 January 1918 page 167.

6. 1916-21 - Asia- In the 1924 Indian Army List and he has a statement which is a bit intriguing: "The war of 1914-21 - S. S. " Islanda", 4 - 12 Oct 16. Operations in the Asiatic theater, 13 Oct 16 to 6 Sept 17. Despatches, London Gaz, 11 June 1920. OBE. Waziristan 1921."

7. 16 March 1918 India - Captain R B Harward to be Acting Major (102nd Grenadiers)while commanding a Depot - Source London Gazette dated 4 February 1919 page 1812.

8. 1920 - He is mentioned in despatches of 11 June 1920 is for 'valuable services in India in connection with the war' as a Captain serving with the 2/113th Infantry.

9. 2 Jan 1925 - Marriage to Norah Esther Sarah Atkinson (born 28 April 1899 Madras India, died 1956, Plymtree Devon) in Secunderabad, Madras, India,

10. 18 Dec 1926 - birth of Son Richard Blake Harward who died 1991.

11. 1 October 1935 India - After R B Harward OBE joined the 8th Punjab Regiment he was promoted from Major to Lt Colonel in the Indian Army from 1 Oct 1935 - (Source London Gazette dated 6 Dec 1935 page 7754) he then commanded the 4 battalion 8th Punjab Regiment until 1938.

12. 1 October 1939 - India - Lt Col Robert Blake Harward OBE to retire from the Indian Army on 1 Oct 1939 -Source London Gazette 27 Oct 1939 page 7189.

13. 13 June 1940 - Britain? - R B Harward OBE 136528 (Late Indian Army) reverted at his own request to the Rank of Major while being employed in the present war emergency - Source supplement to the London Gazette 25 February 1941 page 1146.

Mate,

These Australians from the ALH joined the Indian Army during the Great War, some stayed after the war while others RTA.

Details on their Indian units is limited, being no other details I can find, if you can fill some of these hole that would help me?

Disch to Indian Army

ALEXANDER Harold Bryce 7702 Spr 1 Pack Wls Sig to Mesoptamia Tos Cpl Basrah 3-16 to Sgt 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt FSqn/27th Light Cavalry (2nd Madras) in Persia Iraq Ex 13R/3 LH Sig Troop (5374) DNE

BEDINGFIELD Richard Henry Norman 14267 Spr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 prom 2/Lt disch to Indian Army to Indian Supply and Transport Corps brothers Norman AFC, Alfred Wls Sig and Thomas 6 LHR

BOILEAU Cecil Mackintosh 841 Pte 12 LHR 2R tos B Sqn att DSqn/7 LHR 10-15 prom 2/Lt BCo/4Bn 12-15 (G) MC - for his actions in attack by A & BCo's under Maj Brown on K Trench at Pozieres 25-7-16 WIA 2-3-17 back & L/leg bomb reported wounded with Lt McKenzie and Lt Lane killed during German raid by Lt Preuss and 5Co/2Bn 5th Guard Grenadier Regt around Le Barque and Ligny-Thilloys prom Capt bombing instructor 1st Anzac Corps School 6-17 F&B disch to Indian Army 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) to 15th Lancers 1922 brothers Angus Lt 25 D/US and Charles Lt AASC

BOWE Roy William 553 Sig 04 LHR C Sqn (G) to Sig/Cpl 2-16 to Sig/Sgt RHQ 1-17 prom 2/Lt Sig officer RHQ 3-17 to A Sqn 4-17 disch to Indian Army 13th Duke of Connaught's Lancers (Watson's Horse) to 13/16th Cavalry Regt 1922 NWF Kohat India later WWII

BREGMEN Theodore Montague 7717 Dvr 1 Pack Wls Sig to Mesoptamia Tos C Troop Basrah 3-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 81 Pnr Bn to Persia 1918 and NWF during 1919

BROWN Montague Ambrose 2/Lt 12 LHR A Sqn att DSqn/01 LHR 8-15 (G) att WFF rtn C Sqn 2-16 att T/Adjt 4-16 att T/Adjt 9-16 prom Capt A Sqn 2-17 (to Adjt RHQ) to 4 LH Bde HQ 3-17 prom Capt C Sqn 5-17 to HQ AMD 9-17 disch to Indian Army to Capt 9th Hobsons Horse to GSO (3) NWFF (Prov 2/Lt BSqn 1-8-13 to Lt 1-7-15 CMF later WWII GOS 1 1 Cav Div 1940 -42 to LtCol 22 Garr Bn CO Cowra PoW camp during breakout by japs)

CARR William Robert 8 Sig/Sgt 12 LHR RHQ att 3 LH Sig Troop 8-15 att RHQ/8 LHR 9-15 (G) rtn RHQ 2-16 prom 2/Lt Sig officer RHQ/12 LHR 6-16 to UK leave 12-16 rtn 7-17 disch to Indian Army 2/Lt 16th Bengal Cav Regt to Capt 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse) 1922 (British 8th KIngs Liverpool Regt TF 4 years) (CMF 6 months)

CORNISH -TRESTRAIL Arthur George 17516 Cpl 1 Div Cav Sig Sqn Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 6-17 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Indian Army Res Officers AKA Arthur Cornish Trestrail (to L/Sgt 2 LH Sig Sqn N/R?)

DEAN Allan Ernest 2/Lt 9 LHR A Sqn Tos 8-15 (G) to ADC to GOC 1 Div HQ 3-16 Awarded MID - reason not stated prom Capt 1 Div HQ 4-17 F&B disch to Indian Army Tos 1st Duke of Yorks Own Lancers later WWII Maj 1st DYO Lancers (Skinners Horse 1940) (Cadet to Coronation 8 months) (Prov 2/Lt ASqn 1-7-15 CMF) father George LtCol 13 LHR four brothers in AIF Edwin DSO LtCol FAB

EVANS George Henry 15983 A/Cpl 1 Wls Sig Sqn 4R to Mesoptamia tos Dvr Basrah 10-16 to SQMS 7-17 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Indian Army Res Officers disch FGCM 1920 SNLR forfit all medals

GRIGG Edward Clifford 14254 Cpl 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 38th Central India Horse and 38th King Georges Own Central India Horse 1922 later WWII (British Civil Bombay Indian Police 10 months)

HANNA Arthur Leslie 273 Pte 04 LHR B Sqn to Cpl 8-15 to T/Sgt 9-15 (G) to C Sqn 3-16 att records sect 3rd Ech 4-16 to S/Sgt RHQ 5-16 prom 2/Lt A/Adjt RHQ 3-17 to Adjt RHQ 8-17 disch to Indian Army 11th King Edward's Own Lancers (Probyn's Horse) DSO (CMF)

HIRST Arthur Havelock 326 Pte 12 LHR B Sqn att DSqn/7 LHR 8-15 prom 2/Lt 2Bn 11-15 (G) to CCo/54Bn 3-16 WIA 19-7-16 R/buttock shot reported wounded in the 2nd Ditch in attack at Fleurbaix near Fromelles prom Capt 2-17 to 61Bn in UK 4-17 rtn 10-17 F&B disch to Indian Army to Capt 98th Infantry Regt (5th Hyderabad) to 4th/19th Hyderabad Regt 1922 (CMF 2 years Later WWII T/Maj 2 Div HQ)

HUTTON Ernest Daniel 2037 A/Sgt 6 LHR 14R Tos Sgt 115Bty/25 FAB 3-16 to 114Bty/14 FAB 7-16 to 15 MG Co 10-16 prom 2/Lt 11-16 WIA 27-9-17 L/arm at Polygon Wood F&B disch to Indian Army to Capt 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry Regt later WWII

JACKSON John 14515 Dvr 1 Wls Sig Sqn 3R to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 8-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Supply and Transport Corps (British 5Bn The Northumberland Fusiliers TF 3 years)

KEOGH Basil Hewlett 14353 Dvr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 to L/Cpl Fitter 1-18 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Sig Sqn Indian Cav Div brother Eustace Sigs

LEVY Reginald Michael 14344 Spr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Indian Army Res Officers

LUKE Oliver Edward 7668 Spr 1 Pack Wls Sig to Mesoptamia Tos C Troop Basrah 3-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt IARO to 1/153 Punjab Regt in Persia disbanded 1919 to 87th Punjabis Regt (27th Madras) RTA 1922 later WWII Maj 34 Works Co

MARSDEN John Albert 17538 Spr 1 Div Cav Sig Sqn Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 6-17 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Dentist RAMC to Capt

McAULIFFE John Patrick Thomas 14329 Dvr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt to 3rd Bombay Sappers and Miners (69 IR to 70 IR CMF 2 years)

O'DONNELL Irwin Aubrey 14465 Dvr 1 Wls Sig Sqn 2R to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 8-16 to 2/Cpl 1-18 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 2/27 Punjabs

PENDER William Stanhope 2/Lt 9 LHR C Sqn (G) att Anzac MD HQ 10-16 rtn 11-16 prom T/Capt - staff Capt 4 LH Bde HQ 3-17 MID - for his work between March to Sept 1917 disch to Indian Army to 11th Prince of Wales Own Lancers (Probyn's Horse) 7 Cav Bde Mesoptamia to 5th King Edwards Own (Probyn's Horse) to Col MBE Ex SSM CSqn/8 LHR prom 2/Lt (C Troop CSqn 21-9-12 to Sgt 1-1-14 CMF)

RANDALL Harold Victor 14393 Spr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 3 Wls Sig Sqn Indian Cav Div Ex RAN 10 years)

ROPER George Eliot 2/Lt DNE 2/Lt 9 LH 15-1-12 to CSqn 1-7-12 to Victorian Troop CSqn/King Edwards Horse in UK 5-4-13 to Lt 1-7-15 (CMF) disch to Indian Army RofO 28-8-18

SAWYER Arthur John 20544 Sgt Lt Motor Wls Sig D Troop Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 3-18 to 1 Wls Sig Sqn 3-18 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Sig Service to Afganistan NWF 1919 & Mahsud 1919-20 & Waziristan 1919-21 Ex RAN Rabaul 1914-15 died 18-1-32 in Wellington NZ

SHAW John Frederick 33 Spr 1 LH Sig Troop HQ disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 122nd Rajputana Rifles to 3rd/6th Rajputana Rifles 1922

SHAW William Henry 14338 Spr 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 to Cpl 8-16 to Sgt 10-16 to Wo2 3-18 MSM & MID - in Sir Stanley Maudes despatches - for his work in Mesoptamia disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt Sig Sqn Indian Cav Div Ex W/T oper RAN (4898) 1914-16 disch 4-16

STANFIELD Ernest Alfred Field 217 Sgt 05 LHR A Sqn prom 2/Lt A Sqn 8-15 (G) to prom Capt 11-16 prom staff Capt 2 LH Bde HQ 6-17 to Intell officer 8-17 to understudy the Bde Maj 9-17 disch to Indian Army to Capt 14th Jat Lancers to 14th/15th Jat Cavarly and 20th Lancers (CMF 2 years later Bonegila plantation in Keivang New Guinea WWII Capt 1 Papuan Bn to LtCol

SYDENHAM Alwyn Francis 2/Lt 13 LHR A Sqn (G) to AAdjt deports Weymouth UK 10-16 rtn 1 Anzac LHR 5-17 to 13 LHR 1-18 Croix de Guerre (Bel) - reason not stated F&B disch to Indian Army to Capt 17th Cavalry Regt (Bengal) NWF 1918-21 (prom 2/Lt Mounted Cadets 1908)

THOMPSON George Laidlow 14322 S/Sgt 1 Wls Sig Sqn to Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 7-16 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt 1/55th Cokes Rifles Frontier Force (1st Punjab) to 1/13th Cokes Frontier Force Rifles

TRESTRAIL Arthur George Cornish 17516 Cpl 1 Div Cav Sig Sqn Mesoptamia Tos Basrah 6-17 to L/Sgt 1-18 disch to Indian Army prom 2/Lt IARO AKA Arthur Cornish-Trestrail (2 LH Sig Sqn N/R?)

WHITE Godfrey William Warren 2/Lt 9 LHR B Sqn T/att ADC to GOC 1 Div 11-15 (G) to ADC to Gen Chauvel Anzac MD 3-16 prom Capt ADC to Gen Chauvel Desert Colm HQ 4-17 disch to Indian Army to Capt 5th Cavalry Regt 1917-21 (5th Bengal Cavalry) Ex Orderly Room Sgt RHQ 10-14 pron 2/Lt (Prov 2/Lt ASqn 1-7-15 to 1919 CMF 2 years) born 18-8-94

WORDSWORTH Robert Harley 2/Lt 01 LHR C Sqn C Troop? (P) (G) att WFF to 1 LH MGS 7-16 prom Capt 12-16 to 4 LH MGS 2-17 recom MC awarded MID - for his actions at 2nd Gaza 19-4-17 disch to Indian Army 16th Cavalry Regt to 6th (Duke of Connaughts) Lancers (Watsons Horse) 1922 (Sgt HCo/41 IR to Cowra Troop BSqn CMF 2 years later WWII 1 Indian Arm Bde 1940 to 251 Arm Bde 1941 to Maj Gen CO 31st Arm Div 1942-1944 to Lt Gen Armoured Corps India 1944 retired 1947) rtn Senator for Tas 1950-59 to Administrator of Norfolk Island 1962-64

WYNDHAM Hugh Leslie 2663 Pte 6 LHR 18R tos 2 LH MGS 9-16 to L/Cpl 11-17 disch to Indian Army to Officers training Quetta Collage India prom 2/Lt 11th/12th King Edwards Own Lancers (Probyn's Horse) 1919 to 5th King Edwards Own (Probyn's Horse) 1922 to Capt 2Bn/8th Punjab Regt WWII Brig Gen DSO in Burma

Hope its of some interest.

S.B

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for a highly-interesting list. Australians serving with the Indian Cavy were obviously few and far between.

Well done!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 month later...

Thank you who have provided names & details for this thread. I had some of these already listed but I will be adding the others into my database over the next week or so. I intend to add those of you who have helped to my thesis Acknowledgments.

Thanks

Adam

Dear GWFs,

Here is a picture of the above-mentioned Australian Capt Dean.

The Skinners Horse officer group was probably taken at Rawalpindi, in 1939 or 1940.

Dean was definitely awarded a Mention in Despatches, but oddly enough he wore his group sans Oak-leaf.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

post-122353-0-32296700-1453004071_thumb.