Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thirteen months training in 1914/1915?

FATLAD

Further to my research on this great site and the help I've had from the members, I have a another question

My Great Grandad enlisted with the RHA on 26th August 1914 but wasn't posted to France till 23rd September 1915.

So my question is would he have been training for those thirteen months or is there another explanation for there being such a large gap between enlistment and posting?

Thanks, Tony

Additional information in this link should you need it:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213796

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1262/30850_A001102-01183/3335039?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3Findiv%3D1%26db%3DMedalRolls%26rank%3D1%26new%3D1%26MSAV%3D1%26msT%3D1%26gss%3Dangs-d%26gsfn%3DArthur%26gsfn_x%3DXO%26gsln%3DMoore%26_F8007A65%3D87276%26dbOnly%3D_F8007A65%257c_F8007A65_x%252c_F00061C3%257c_F00061C3_x%26_F8007A65_x%3D1%26uidh%3D2r5%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D3335039%26recoff%3D9%2B10%2B53%2B54%26ml_rpos%3D1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

It could be one of a number of reasons - he wasn't fit, he was training others, his unit hadn't been ordered overseas etc.

Craig

Thanks for your response Craig.

The reason behind my asking is I have a relative that is sure Arthur came home on leave from France in October 1915 for his sisters wedding and had already spent some months in France. I told them that couldn't be correct as his MIC stated he went out in September 1915, but he swears he is right.

Tony

He could have attested but not been called up until some time much later. If his service record is available it should clear it up.

His MIC should give the date he arrived in France. He could have gone to rest/training camp before being sent his unit.

I told them that couldn't be correct as his MIC stated he went out in September 1915, but he swears he is right.

It's not impossible for the MIC to be wrong - I know of officers who entered France for a short period a good few weeks before the battalion arrived but the MIC shows only the date they returned to France with the battalion.

Arthur came home on leave from France in October 1915 for his sisters wedding

This would be rather quick for a man who had gone over only the month before unless he was ill/injured or had been returned to the UK for some reason - men usually waited 6 months+ (and often much longer) for leave.

How certain are you that he was at the wedding (and of the date of the wedding). ?

Craig

Hi,

Just a thought but did he go overseas with a newly formed Kitchener Division?

Steve Y

EDIT

Sorry but just read thread again and picked up

on mention of wedding Oct 1915.

If that is correct I would say that MIC is wrong. My relatives MIC says he arrived France June 1915 but my research (confirmed by Reg Journal) revealed he was wounded Feb 1915 so June 1915 is probably date of his second arrival with BEF.

plenty of gunners who enlisted in Aug 1914 went overseas in Jun-July-Aug .. and later 1915, mainly going with new units; but if he landed up with K RHA that would have been as a reinforcement, probably from Le Havre ? Base .. if he was there for a bit that might make it easier to get leave pass home ... just a thought? It would be very unusual [unheard of?] to get a home leave otherwise from RFA/RHA frontline units from .. especially if he had already reached a frontline unit in France since 1914 where most men may well not yet have had any home leave

Thanks guys, that gives me more to think obout. Craig I'm not sure of the 'Wedding' date it's only a word of mouth quote and after all this time I think there may be a little fogging of the memories (no disrespect intended for my older relative) but I will do a little moe digging and see what I turn up.

Tony