Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown War Memorial

Ludford101

Whilst searching for the Mansfield Woodhouse images I came across this one that I have never found the location of....

I would think it was in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire region as the guard of honour would appear to be Sherwood Foresters chaps..

Any thoughts ... :wacko:

Gary

post-112024-0-64329300-1404467363_thumb.

Gary

You're right its a great image :thumbsup: thanks for posting.

I can't place it at all - but then Mansfield Woodhouse was a bit outside of my stomping ground :whistle:

It's certainly nowhere in North West Derbyshire (High Peak) that I can think……... :blink:

It's possible of course that a statue may have been added later???

Any chance of a blow up? - perhaps some clue on the inscription? - although its rather generic

cheers

Mike

It looks to be close to a 3 track ? railway or tram line from the look of that gantry on the left of the photo...

Also that looks to be a very slender (for its height) factory chimney in the background.

I bet Fred Dibnah would have known!

Is it possible it might just have just been a temporary arrangement, pending the construction of a permanent memorial in a similar way to the Cenotaph in Whitehall; is there any knowledge of temporary structures being used as a focus for Remembrance Day commemorations in the early post war years elsewhere?

NigelS

- perhaps some clue on the inscription? - although its rather generic

cheers

Mike

In fact, a search for that exact wording on the I.W.M War Memorials Archive gives only 14 WW I memorials in England, and some of them could be eliminated, from the descriptions. If only photographs of all memorials were provided! They are coming, I know.

The temporary one at Ripley may be a possibility, and a photograph could be provided by the Archive.

Michael

Is it possible it might just have just been a temporary arrangement, pending the construction of a permanent memorial in a similar way to the Cenotaph in Whitehall; is there any knowledge of temporary structures being used as a focus for Remembrance Day commemorations in the early post war years elsewhere?

NigelS

That sounds likely, Nigel.

Derek Boorman in "At the Going Down of the Sun" (privately published, 1988) p122 writes "In 1919 a temporary wooden cenotaph in Abington Street Northampton served as a focal point . . . . . This use of temporary memorials was common and in 1919 was the case even in Whitehall."

In my view that is most certainly a temporary arrangement.... fantastic picture though....thanks for posting.

This was the 1919 memorial at Downham, Lancashire. Inscription reads 'Our Glorious Dead.'

13bd314d-b8cc-4fea-995e-3b619c376c89_zps

I'm kicking myself here as I have seen this photograph before but for the life of me I can't remember where the memorial was said to be situated. North Nottinghamshire seems to be at the back of my mind but the hills in the background point towards Derbyshire. :doh: BRONNO.

post-30693-0-77384500-1404649469_thumb.j